CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com

Create new array, the fast way

Hi there,

I have a buffer of binary data (void*) of known length in bytes.

This buffer contains a chunk of audio data, stereo samples which are interleaved. So the buffer of audio data is essentially of the form -

[L R L R L R ...]

Where L is a left sample, and R is a right sample.

This audio data is placed in a circular buffer as raw binary data at the producer end, and re-interpreted as Signed Integer of 32 Bit at the Consumer end.

I would like to add some extra information to my initial buffer at the producer end. Essentially I would like to add an additional 'channel', though this will essentially be timing information.

So my buffer will become -

[L R X L R X L R X ...]

Where X is the timing information.

I have used an initial for-loop, to iterate over the buffer and populate a new array with the data. However it is too slow for real-time audio work.

Is there a fast way to create a new array from an existing array i.e to perform the following quickly -

[L R L R L R ...] -> [L R X L R X L R X ...]

Thanks for any tips!

Re: Create new array, the fast way

Can't you use a separate array for the X data?

This sounds (no pun intended) like it might be a good candidate for offloading to the GPU. If you are using Visual Studio 2012 you can use AMP <http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/libr.../hh265136.aspx>. Otherwise you could use OpenCL or Cuda. Apparently a cross-platform version of AMP is in the works <http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...tem&px=MTIyOTk>.

Hi there,

Thanks for your answers. I thinking some kind of parallel array might be the best option for now.. I will go with that for now!

Thanks!