CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Question for Rock Paper Scissors game program

My teacher wants the user to enter in their choices with characters instead of numbers.
    R - Rock
    P - Paper
    S - Scissors.

After the user enters R for their choice, what would I use to convert the character to a number (int)? Can i use a switch?

Was trying to use if statements like:

Code:
    if (guess == R)
                  {
                   userGuess = 1;
                  }
    if (guess == P)
                  {
                   userGuess = 2;
                  }
    if (guess == S)
                  {
                   userGuess = 3; 
                  }

2kaud is offline Super Moderator Power Poster

Re: Question for Rock Paper Scissors game program

My teacher wants the user to enter in their choices with characters instead of numbers.
    Once entered as a char, just use it as a char. For example, something like the following

Code:
    char choice;
    cout << "Enter choice (R, P, S): ";
    cin >> choice;

switch (choice) {
         case 'R':
         case 'r':
            //code for Rock
           break;

case 'P':
         case 'p':
           //code for Paper
           break;

case 'S':
         case 's':
           //code for Scissors
           break;

default:
          //error handling for incorrect choice
    }
    Last edited by 2kaud; April 21st, 2013 at 04:39 PM. Reason: Fixed quote problem
    All advice is offered in good faith only. All my code is tested (unless stated explicitly otherwise) with the latest version of Microsoft Visual Studio (using the supported features of the latest standard) and is offered as examples only - not as production quality. I cannot offer advice regarding any other c/c++ compiler/IDE or incompatibilities with VS. You are ultimately responsible for the effects of your programs and the integrity of the machines they run on. Anything I post, code snippets, advice, etc is licensed as Public Domain https://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/zero/1.0/ and can be used without reference or acknowledgement. Also note that I only provide advice and guidance via the forums - and not via private messages!

C++23 Compiler: Microsoft VS2022 (17.6.5)

well the computer generating it's choices as 1, 2 or 3. So how do i compare

ok, i think i can compare. so ill work on that. ty

try this

Code:
    enum SELECTION {
        ROCK = 1,
        SCISSORS = 2,
        PAPER = 3,
        LIZARD = 4,
        SPOCK = 5
    };

Love Big Bang Theory!

But, teacher wants user to imput letters. Im not doing very well trying to compare an int to a char.

Any ideas? Ive tried some things that compile, but they dont run.

EDIT. Let me also explain that the computer i do have it randomly selecting 1,2 or 3 for rock, paper, scissors. But the user input has to be R, P or S for rock paper scissors.

GCDEF is offline Elite Member Power Poster

Quote Originally Posted by psfign View Post
    Love Big Bang Theory!

But, teacher wants user to imput letters. Im not doing very well trying to compare an int to a char.

Any ideas? Ive tried some things that compile, but they dont run.

EDIT. Let me also explain that the computer i do have it randomly selecting 1,2 or 3 for rock, paper, scissors. But the user input has to be R, P or S for rock paper scissors.
    Don't compare a number to a letter. Convert a letter to a number and compare two numbers, or you could follow the example that 2kaud gave using the switch statement.

I gave you an example in post #2 how to handle user input of R, P or S. Use a similar method for the 1, 2, or 3 for the computer go. If you post your code so far as we'll be able to give better guidance.
    All advice is offered in good faith only. All my code is tested (unless stated explicitly otherwise) with the latest version of Microsoft Visual Studio (using the supported features of the latest standard) and is offered as examples only - not as production quality. I cannot offer advice regarding any other c/c++ compiler/IDE or incompatibilities with VS. You are ultimately responsible for the effects of your programs and the integrity of the machines they run on. Anything I post, code snippets, advice, etc is licensed as Public Domain https://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/zero/1.0/ and can be used without reference or acknowledgement. Also note that I only provide advice and guidance via the forums - and not via private messages!

yea, i havent looked at doing that switch 2k gave yet. But a couple follow up questions. Am i correct in the thought that i could do something like:

Code:
    num = Computer's selection

if (num == 1)
    return 'R';
    or on the switch like 2k gave...can i do for the user input:

Code:
    switch (choice) {
         case 'R':
         case 'r':
            return 1;
           break;
    either one of those would be ok?

GCDEF is offline Elite Member Power Poster

Those could work if you use them properly.

Yea I know 2k, but i was trying other things that i thought would work....that obviously didnt work.

and looking at your example, im assuming i can use return '1' as code for Rock

Quote Originally Posted by GCDEF View Post
    Those could work if you use them properly.
    Thanks!

Why don't you convert 1 or 2 or 3 for the computers guess to the char 'R', or 'P' or 'S' - then use the char everywhere?

Code:
    const char conv[] = "RPSB";
    char guess = (num >= 1 && num <= 3) ? conv[num - 1] : conv[3];

We havent learned how to do the conv like that, so i think I'd have to do it as

Code:
    num = Computer's selection

if (num == 1)
    return 'R';
    Thanks for your help again guys! I didnt post my code yet bc i dont want you guys thinking im trying to get you to do it for me.

I'm wondering if I should throw in the Lizard & Spock options. Not sure how the prof would react!

i'm wondering if i should throw in the lizard & spock options. Not sure how the prof would react!
    a++

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast