CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com

Getting my feet wet

This is my first day on the forums and I wanted to see if I could get some advice:

Now, I do data processing/data cleansing work from home right now, every now and again I will get to add a new line of code into a VB program to expedite the more time consuming tasks in my day to day...Currently though, there isn't much room for growth in the position I hold and I am looking for a new career path. I have taken introductory classes in several programming languages, but have had no real "Need" to write programs for anything. I have tried forcing myself to sit down and write something, but its kind of like staring at a blank piece of paper with no inspiration for art and thinking, "I'm going to paint a landscape." But the difference to me with art is that if I want to get inspired to paint a landscape, but don't know the type of scenery, color pallet, time of day etc...I can always just Google nature photos and find a ton of inspiration.

Does anyone have any kind of "inspiration inducing" material for programming?
    Also, I began my college career on a path toward graphic design and 3D modeling, but have since found that those fields have become increasingly more competitive and require a lot more experience than what my community college gave me. Any suggestions on a career path in programming for the fella that likes to draw?

Re: Getting my feet wet

VB? At least it wasn't QB!

All of the new systems allow you to update your code. (Even when working with a team of hundreds of users). Rather than a landscape, try a STICK FIGURE. Then, do it again!
    David

CodeGuru Article: Bound Controls are Evil-VB6
    2013 Samples: MS CODE Samples

CodeGuru Reviewer
    2006 Dell CSP
    2006, 2007 & 2008 MVP Visual Basic
    If your question has been answered satisfactorily, and it has been helpful, then, please, Rate this Post!

Re: Getting my feet wet

> Does anyone have any kind of "inspiration inducing" material for programming?

Think what you dislike in your OS, browser, mobile phone, then
    try to find add-on to fix it,
    if there is no such thing then try to write it.

> Any suggestions on a career path in programming for the fella that likes to draw?

If you like to draw then
    draw
    and make your personal site to sell your drawings
    so you would gradually become a web-designer.