CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com

Thread: Custom Control

Custom Control

I need to create a custom control. The control needs to be similar to the one used in Photoshop for curves adjustments. I need the control where a user can draw a line or bezier curve. I need to be able to read the y position of every point of the line at various spots along the x-axes.

Thanks in advance,
    Jack Adkins

VictorN is offline Super Moderator Power Poster

Re: Custom Control

I have created custom controls before. Not claiming to be an expert and I did go through your articles and will again later but my problem is with this particular control. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by left1none View Post
    I have created custom controls before... but my problem is with this particular control.
    Then you have to explain your problem. So far you explained your needs only. Need is not equivalent to problem.
    Best regards,
    Igor

I just need help getting started. In case you don't know what I need look here at the Var Emitter Strength and Var Particle Life. Basically I want something like that control. I just need some help getting started for now. I mean I'm sure I will need more help later. Should I just do it in MFC? And if so should I just derive from CWnd or should I do something else like maybe a CListBox or something which sounds weird but it already has a border. Just some thoughts. Thanks in advance.
    Jack

Quote Originally Posted by left1none View Post
    I just need help getting started. In case you don't know what I need look here at the Var Emitter Strength and Var Particle Life. Basically I want something like that control. I just need some help getting started for now.
    Okay, getting started, right. To start you must develop formal requirements, as much detailed as you can. Based on those you develop the plan how you implement every aspect of requirements. Your questions here should relate to items of the plan, or your requirements feasibility. Please read this again, as I really mean it.

Besides, please do not expect that explanation like "look here at this and that" could stand for requirements or implementation plan. You must be able to describe what you want in terms of design and development, using developer's vocabulary. This is the only way to be understood.

I mean I'm sure I will need more help later. Should I just do it in MFC? And if so should I just derive from CWnd or should I do something else like maybe a CListBox or something which sounds weird but it already has a border. Just some thoughts.
    Is this all that troubles you? The answer is: you should use what you know good enough and what meets your needs/requirements.
    Best regards,
    Igor