CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com
Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast

VB6 project load errors

I have three pc's with my copy of vb6 installed. On each of them I get errors upon loading my projects. These projects have worked on other pc's. The errors are recorded in each module's .log file. For example, my frmMain.log file looks like this after the load errors:

Line 36: Class MSComctlLib.ImageList of control imlToolbarIcons was not a loaded control class.
    Line 94: Class MSComctlLib.Toolbar of control tbrToolBar was not a loaded control class.
    Line 159: Class MSComctlLib.StatusBar of control sbrStatus was not a loaded control class.
    Line 617: Class MSCommLib.MSComm of control MSComm1 was not a loaded control class.

All of the errors in each of the frm*.log files appear to be related to either .ocx or .dll files. Any help would be appreciated.

Re: VB6 project load errors

Send some of the EVENT LOGS. Pretty hard to guess
    David

CodeGuru Article: Bound Controls are Evil-VB6
    2013 Samples: MS CODE Samples

CodeGuru Reviewer
    2006 Dell CSP
    2006, 2007 & 2008 MVP Visual Basic
    If your question has been answered satisfactorily, and it has been helpful, then, please, Rate this Post!

I am guessing that these are windows 7 pcs?

I have not ran into it myself but have saw several posts related to issues with MSComctlLib after a Windows update.

Not sure about the MSComm.

When you installed VB did you execute the install using run as administrator? If not then I would suggest you try that first.
    Always use [code][/code] tags when posting code.

Thanks to dglienna and DataMiser for their replies.
    I have attached four of the log files (with .doc extensions).

The three pc's I installed with vb6 were all xp pro sp6 machines. Sorry I didn't mention that in my original post. I only mentioned that there were three as perhaps useful information. I'm only interested in getting one working. Thanks again for your help.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Could be an issue with the project file *.vbp or could be that these controls are not registered on the system.

What did you use to install VB? Factory CD of VB or VS, Downloaded image from MS? Copy of factory CD on HD? Downloaded version from elsewhere?

Does the account you used to install under have admin access?

Also, SP6 should be installed...
    David

CodeGuru Reviewer
    2006 Dell CSP
    If your question has been answered satisfactorily, and it has been helpful, then, please, Rate this Post!

Thanks again for the reply.
    My vb6 install is from a factory cd of Visual Basic 6.
    Yes, I have admin priv. It's a standalone pc and I'm the only user.

I look at the project to see if I can find something along with checking status of the .ocx/.dll files.

I've found that I have none of these on my system; msmask.dll, mscomctlLIB.ocx, mscommlib.ocx, mswinsocklib.dll and shdocvwch.dll. I assume this is the problem? Unfortunately, I have not been able to find any of these files online. Found similarly named files: msmask32, mscomctl, mswsock.dll and shdocvw.dll. Any ideas where I might find these. Thanks again.

They should be installed as part of the VB install.

Also you should have service pack 6 for VB installed but those files should be there with or without the service pack applied.

What version of VB6 are you working with. i.e. Learning edition, Professional, Enterprise?

Those controls may not be included with the Learning Edition

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/libr...=vs.60%29.aspx
    Last edited by DataMiser; May 2nd, 2013 at 08:41 PM.

Thanks. I'll check this out and reply tomorrow.

I bought VB6 so long ago, I don't recall the circumstance, but I have a VB 6 Pro cd box with only the VB6 Learning Edition inside and that's what I have installed. I did find Visual Studio 6.0 but I don't believe that's the same as VB6?

Yes, I have sp6 installed. Thanks again.

David

CodeGuru Reviewer
    2006 Dell CSP

Thanks dglienna, but DataMiser sent that link to me the other day. I read it and based on the fact that I evidently have Learning Edition installed and the information in the article you linked, I somehow need to either upgrade vb6 or find a source for the ocx and dll files necessary. However, vb6 is no longer available. I've read several articles about converting from vb6 to visual studio and found all of them negative. Any ideas would be appreciated. Thanks again.

Visual Studio 6 includes VB6 as well as VC 6 and a few other goodies.

I was unable to install VB6 from the VS6 CDs under Windows 7 though, there was/is some issue with the setup menu and java run time that prevented it from running under Windows 7. There is probably a way around it but for me I just used the Vb6 Enterprise CD image to install under Windows 7

Under XP the VS6 cds should work fine.

As for upgrading a project from VB6 to any of the VB.Net versions that is not recommended and the conversion utility is no longer included as of VB 2010.

VB6 is still available to download from Microsoft to MSDN subscribers and there may be a few copies out there in web land, e-bay maybe
    Last edited by DataMiser; May 3rd, 2013 at 08:06 PM.

Yes DataMiser, I too had problems installing vb6 on Win 7. I'm using Virtual PC/ XP Mode on Win 7 and it installs okay. But as I have said, looking at all the information from you and dglienna, I think I need to either find all these .ocs and .dll files from another source or find a copy of Pro Edition. Thanks for your help.

Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast