CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Re: VB6 project load errors

.dcx files are not always generated and if your report file requires a dcx file that is not present then you only option is to create a new report.

Did you look at the references I mentioned? Are they there? Were they selectable?
    If not then did you check for the files I mentioned?

Sounds like one or both of those dlls is not installed/registered properly or has became corrupted or registry corruption on the trouble pc

If the files are present I would suggest that you try to register them and see if that helps.
    Always use [code][/code] tags when posting code.

Sorry DataMiser. I overlooked responding to your query about the two .dll files; msdbrptr and msstdfmt. I registered them both, but there was no change in the result. However, there was one strange thing that happened. I registered those files again today and the project compiled passed the .dsr errors to a 429 error. I rebooted and tried compiling and the .dsr errors came back!

Regarding the Report Designer again, I cannot get it to work. I listed the things I tried in a post yesterday.

As always, thanks very much for your assistance. Actually, you are the only person still responding to this thread or the same thread I have on other forums. For most folks the first question they ask is what is a .dsr file. In my search for a solution, I've found that many if not most links listed for a particular search are either way out of date, simply wrong or they eluded to the problem without any suggestions or solutions -Thanks again.

For whatever reason, the report manager now appears to be working. Since I don't know how to use it I'll have to find some instructions. But I was hoping that if the Report Designer worked, that the project would compile without the .dsr errors. No such luck.

You would need to remove the dsr from the project

Hmm. For some reason I am unable to edit the post above today.

Anyway in addition to removing the dsr fromt he project you would need to remove or comment any code that refers to it

In my sample project used to create a new report, once done, my Project Explorer includes a Header "Designers" in addition to "forms","modules" and "classes". The Designer header containts DataEnvironment and DataReport1. However, on my real Project there is no such information.

Regarding your answers, DataMiser, I don't understand at all your suggestion to remove the .dsr file from the project. In the first place, I don't know how to do that since, as I said, there is no reference to the in the Project Explorer, and they are not listed anywhere else in the project, e.g., references and components. However, the dsr files are referred to in some code modules. If I remove the code that refers to any of the dsr's, I lose much of my functionality????? Can you elaborate please. Thanks.

Well when you load a project that is missing files or controls VB will prompt you to continue loading project or not. If you continue then when you close it will ask you if you want to save your changes. If you save the changes then the reference to the missing file is removed from the project file. You can also open the vbp file with notepad and delete the lines that refer to the dsr. Of course it is always a good idea to make a backup copy of your project before you do either just in case something goes wrong.

Beyond that if there is code in your project that calls the report that will have to be removed or commented since the report doesn't exist or else the program will fail to compile.

Thanks for the feedback DataMiser.

The issue is no longer about project load file errors and hasn't been for awhile. When I started out with this thread, that WAS the problem, but when I said YES to continue loading, it kept listinug addtitional errors but never asked me if I wanted to save changes.
    But the issue is the errors I'm getting on compile. I tried your suggestion about deleting all references to the dsr names (which are considered variable names to the compiler. However, the more I removed from the program, the more errors I received and finally a '429' errors. So I put it all back. As I said earlier, if I remove all these references to .dsr files it clearly changes the functionality of the program.

Well I do not know what you are expecting clearly if the file does not exist you can not compile the program with a reference to the missing file.

It should have prompted to to save changes when you closed the project, unless you have that disabled.

All the dsr files are present in the source directory for the project. I just don't think they are linked into the project and I really have no idea how. I tried simply adding them in through Project Explorer but that didn't work.Still looking for some solution.

Thanks for your imput DataMiser.

If the files are there and correct then you can add them using the add file method under the project explorer. I just tried it and it works just fine. That said I seem to remember you talking about creating some of these files by changing names or something like that and if that is the case I would expect it to fail.

Can you zip up the entire project as it was at the beginning of this thread [code files only, no exe or setup files] and attach it to a post

Thanks DataMiser. Conincidently, I did just what you suggested before I logged on here and it did work. When I added the first dsr file, it created a section in Project Explorer called Designers and all the dsr files went there.

I thought it would then compile cleanly, but now I have a 429 error. The online suggestions from corrupted registry of MS Word not be registered or something like that. I'm going to read more about this possibility since my project does use MS Word.

Thanks again.

My project uses MS Word and an Access database. I have Word installed but not Access. Would this cause a 429 error.

It depends on what you mean by using? If you are making a reference to MS access in your code [early binding] then you have to have that specific version installed. If you are not using a reference but are using create object to create an access object [late binding] then Access must be installed. If you are just talking about using an MDB file then no it does not need to be installed.

As for the actual error you should always post the error message rather than just the number in this case it is can not create object so you you are using either early or late binding to talk with access then not having access would indeed be a problem and may be this error that you would get.

Personally I go out of my way to avoid linking to any office product if at all possible both to avoid such potential issues and so that my customers do not need to buy Office in order to use my software.

That said obviously you must have everything installed before you can work with the software unless you remove all the code related to the missing software/files.

Thanks for the info.

"Run Time Error 409. ActiveX component can't create object".

I don't know about the binding. All I know that MSWord is used for the printing functionality and the project uses an .mdb.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast