CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Re: VB6 project load errors

I have been able to eliminate all of the missing .ocx and .dll errors. It wasn't very scientific as I simply added components of files with similar names to those .ocs and .dll files that were missing.
    Not sure if I should start a new thread, but now when I try to compile, I am again getting strange errors of missing variables. Here is the log file of one of those errors:

Line 2: Class {78E93846-85FD-11D0-8487-00A0C90DC8A9} of control DRBirthday was not a loaded control class.
    Line 0: The file C:\IDDBProWord\DRBirthday.Dsr could not be loaded.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

by the way, these undefined variable names are the names of .dsr files. I've tried to add them a number of ways with no luck

dsr files are usually report design files
    Always use [code][/code] tags when posting code.

I just saw a post from DataMiser requesting the project file three days ago! So sorry. I'm also getting emails alerting me to posts that aren't there! Anyway, I've attached the vbp file. Thanksidbasevbp.txtidbasevbp.txt

Yes, DataMiser. I have learned that the .dsr files are 'designer' files associated with reports. But I cannot find a way of making them part of the project. During compile, I get "(some dsr file name) not defined". It refers me to the log file, one of which is:
    Line 2: Class {78E93846-85FD-11D0-8487-00A0C90DC8A9} of control DRBirthday was not a loaded control class.

Help! Please.

While searching for possible solutions to this problem, I found a post from MissionSuccess in 2009 with basically the same question about loading dsr files in a project. At that time danasegarane suggested right-click on Project Explorer, select AddFile and simply add the dsr file. A contributor to my thread here, dglienna also posted that this should be tried. However, that process doesn't work. But there were no more posts to that thread. Basically, if I right-click on Project Explorer, select Add, then select AddFile and open the dsr file I want to include, it still gives this error:

Any help would be appreciated. Google hasn't helped in the four days I've attempted to find a solution. Thanks in advance for your help.

I have actually never used the MS report designer so I am in the dark here. I have been using a 3rd party report tool since VB5 which is quite a bit better than the one in VB6 so never really had a reason to look into how the VB report engine works.

Could be a missing reference, a corrupted file or registry entry causing the problem

Try starting a new project and then try to add a data report to it and see if that works.

Thanks for the additional information DataMiser. Per your suggestion, I created a new vb6 project and attempted to add one of the dsr files. Unfortunately, I got the exact same errors.

This project worked completely error free on another PC. I don't know if that means the environment on the current pc is missing something or what. Before this, I didn't even know what a dsr file was and I have no idea how to get them included in this project.

Thanks again.

I thought this additional information might be helpful in jogging someone's memory regarding a solution to the .dsr errors I"m experiencing.

I found from additional searching that in addition to a .dca file corresponding with a .dsr file, there is also a .dsx file which is the binary executable of the .dsr. In my project folder I have no .dsx files corresponding to my .dsr files.

Any information anyone may have on how to create a .dsx file would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Did you try adding a new data report? I did not mean adding existing dsr files but a new report to see if that worked. If it does not work then that would point to an issue with the report engine part or something related. Adding an existing dsr file could mean a problem with the actual dsr file or it could be the engine the point was to narrow down the possible problems.

The dsx files may be to hold binary data when needed, like a form will have an .frx file but is not always the case. depends on content. If the binary file is needed and not present then that would be an issue

Not knowing how to create a data report, I found instructions online which said simply, Project>Add Data Report.

Unfortunately, when I followed that instruction, I got the following error:
    "Class Not Registered - Looking for object with CLSID:{642AC766-AAB4-11D0-8494-00A0C90DC8A9}.
    This just keeps getting better and better!

Does anyone know what class this may be referring to? Thanks in advance for your help.

If I add a data report I see 2 references are added

Microsoft Data Formatting Object Library 6.0 (SP6)
    c;\Windows\System32\msstdfmt.dll

Microsoft Data Report Designer 6.0 (SP4)
    c;\Windows\System32\msdbrptr.dll

Maybe that will help, check your references to see if those are available or can be added. Check to see if those files exist

I installed Crystal Reports which I learned comes with VB6 Pro but isn't automatically installed. My project was written at least ten years ago so I don't know if Crystal Reports was used or the MS Report Designer, but I'm going to try both. I'm hoping that one or the other will generate the three necessary files, .dsr, .dca and .dcx. This will give me some idea how to generate the missing .dcx files in my project.

Thanks much for your input, DataMiser. I'll give it a try.

Well, even though I installed Crystal Reports, it is clear now that it generates an .rpt file, not.dsr, .dca and .dcx files.
    So that's useless. I can see now that the reports in my project (.dsr files missing .dcx files) were generated by the MS Report Designer.

However, attempting to use MS Report Designer, I get the following
    Project>Add Data Report--> "Class not registered (includes a long number). I detailed this error a few posts ago.

Help! Please!

For any of you out there who might be trying to think of a solution to my problem, please same yourself some work.
    I found a four year old copy of my project. Approximately 100 modifications have been made since that time and many of them by another programmer who is no longer available. So recreating the new from the old is out of the question. However, an important point was revealed. This old copy of the project loads and compiles fine on my old XP desktop pc. However, it will not compile on my win 7/Virutal PC-XP mode pc. Plus, the old project is also missing the elusive .dcx files I've read about and that are also missing on the newest project. So evidently, they aren't necessary for proper operation! But why do the dsr files throw an error when compiling is still an issue. Initially, I thought there must be something missing in the environment of by production laptop since the old project compiled well on the old pc. But since the old pc couldn't compile the new project, that would not necessarily be the case.

The bottom line is I don't think this thread is any longer germane to the latest problem. Thanks to everyone for their help.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast