CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Re: VB6 project load errors

Download the newest version of Visual Studio Express, and it will include all the files you need. It's FREE
    David

CodeGuru Article: Bound Controls are Evil-VB6
    2013 Samples: MS CODE Samples

CodeGuru Reviewer
    2006 Dell CSP
    2006, 2007 & 2008 MVP Visual Basic
    If your question has been answered satisfactorily, and it has been helpful, then, please, Rate this Post!

VB6 will install under win7. You have to execute the setup using run as administrator.
    It is the VS5 discs that seem to have the issue. I have tried both the VS6 pro edition which failed and the VB6 Enterprise edition which worked like a charm under Windows 7 when installed as admin and executed as admin.

It would be hard to find all the controls you need and I think it would not be legal to distribute programs made with them if you do not have the proper version licensed.
    Always use [code][/code] tags when posting code.

Quote Originally Posted by dglienna View Post
    Download the newest version of Visual Studio Express, and it will include all the files you need. It's FREE
    That won't help much with a VB6 project. He would basically have to start over.

Thanks David. Does this mean I can use Visual Studio Express directly instead of VB6 or I need to pull the necessary into the vb6 environment and use vb6?

Thanks again.

Thanks David. Does this mean I can simply use Visual Studio Express instead of vb6 or pull the necessary files into the vb6 project and use that? Download Express now! Thanks again.

You would use it directly, it still supports much of the syntax that was used in VB6 but is much different. Basically you would need to rewrite any VB6 projects when moving to VB.Net ( all vb versions after 6 [1998] are Vb.Net)

I've installed Visual Studio 2010 Express and looked in my windows/system32 folder but none of the .ocx and .dll files were added there? Any ideas? Thanks.

Visual Studio .Net does not use OCX files. It can but not recommended and are not included.

If you want the OCX and DLL files used by VB6 then you need to install VB6 pro or enterprise or VS6 pro or enterprise

If you want to work with VB.Net then VS or VB 2010 would install everything you need but this is a separate product from VB6 and uses different files.

VS2005 tried to include an upgrade assistant (that did about 10% as I explained earlier), but it was cut after we realized it didn't perform MAGIC!
    David

CodeGuru Article: Bound Controls are Evil-VB6
    2013 Samples: MS CODE Samples

CodeGuru Reviewer
    2006 Dell CSP
    2006, 2007 & 2008 MVP Visual Basic
    If your question has been answered satisfactorily, and it has been helpful, then, please, Rate this Post!

There was a converter in VS2003, VS 2005 and VS2008 was no longer included with 2010 and 2012 and in any case would not solve the issues in this thread.

The choice is simple either get the correct version of VB and install it or rewrite the code in VB.Net or other language.

Even the upgrade/conversion process requires that you have the OCX files already installed on the system, without those it could not convert the app.

The only other software that may install these OCX files would be VB5 pro or enterprise edition and those controls would be older versions but may actually work. In any case VB5 is harder to find than VB6 so unless you have a copy on hand ....

MSAccess 97 - 2003 would install some of the required files as well
    Last edited by DataMiser; May 5th, 2013 at 10:32 PM.

Thanks to you all for assisting me with this problem. At this point it looks like I need to find a legitimate copy of vb6 pro or above. Thanks again.

I finally found my copy of VB6 pro and installed it over vb6 learning edition. I was full of hope that this would solve my project load errors. But alas, it didn't change a thing. All of the .ocx and .dll files that were missing during the vb6 load are also missing when I load the project using vb6 pro. If anyone has any further ideas, they would be greatly appreciated.

Can you attach a copy of the vbp file?

I just received an email from CodeGuru indicating there was a new post here. But looking through all the posts, none are new? Any ideas?

See Post #28

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast