CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com

Compatibility of MFC-based Automation?

I am reading the article http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/libr...ffice.10).aspx . I am just curious if I using Visual Studio Class Wizard to create MFC class based on Microsoft Word 97 type library Msword8.olb. Then will the final application works with higher versions, such as Word 2003, 2007, 2010 and 2013?

Thanks

VictorN is offline Super Moderator Power Poster

Re: Compatibility of MFC-based Automation?

It might work with "higher versions, such as Word 2003" but for sure not with "Word 2007, 2010 and 2013".
    Victor Nijegorodov

Then how to make it work with Word 2007, 2010 and 2013? Does these Word provides type libraries and I can import them with Class Wizard as well?

Office 2010: C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\Office14\MSWORD.OLB
    Best regards,
    Igor

Office DOM uses COM as a base, targeting an older version should work on newer versions of office as well this is part of the COM contract afterall.

You won't of course be able to use any of the newer functionality that is only exposed in the later versions of the Office DOM.

There might be minor annoyances because of changes in features. YMMV depending on what set of functionality you use.

that said... Things may get messy if you're writing a 32bit app and the user has 64bit Office (or vice versa). if the user uses Office online, then i have no idea how that gets supported locally, if at all.

Quote Originally Posted by OReubens View Post
    Things may get messy if you're writing a 32bit app and the user has 64bit Office (or vice versa).
    Any proof on that? My understanding is, any Office app is an out-of-proc COM server, so I would not expect any problem with this.
    Best regards,
    Igor