CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com

depth-first search of a graph

Hi!!! I need some help...
    The exercise is:
    You have to implement a data structure to represent graphs,directed or undirected,that tries to avoid the wasted space in the representation of a graph with adjacency matrix and the difficulty of searching the edges with adjacency list representation.
    We consider that the vertices are numbered from 1 to nverts and the exit degree of each vertex is at most MAXDEG. If deg[i] is the exit degree of the vertex i then the neighbors of the vertex i can be saved at the matrix edge[i][j], 1<=j<=deg[i].
    Write a program that reads the datas from a file: if the graph is directed or undirected(1 or 0), the number of vertices (nverts),the number of edges (nedges) and the first and the last vertex of each edge.
    Write the function dfs that, with argument the data structure that you implemented before for the representation of a graph, prints the edges by the depth-first search of a graph.

What I've done so far is: I wrote a program that reads these information from a file, calculates the exit degree of each vertex and creates the matrix edge[i][j].

What data structure do I have to implement???

Re: depth-first search of a graph

Quote Originally Posted by mathmari View Post
    What data structure do I have to implement???
    Sounds to me like your matrix is your data structure.
    Cheers, D Drmmr

Please put [code][/code] tags around your code to preserve indentation and make it more readable.

As long as man ascribes to himself what is merely a posibility, he will not work for the attainment of it. - P. D. Ouspensky

So do I have only to implement the matrix edge[i][j], 1<=j<=deg[i], and then write the function dfs that has as argument this matrix (void dfs(int edges[][])) ?
    Last edited by mathmari; May 19th, 2013 at 05:30 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by mathmari View Post
    So do I have only to implement the matrix edge[i][j], 1<=j<=deg[i], and then write the function dfs that has as argument this matrix (void dfs(int edges[][])) ?
    It's actually not correct to call this a matrix, because it may not have the same number of columns in each row. The correct term would be jagged array. This also means that you cannot create it as a static array (at least, not easily); you'll have to make a dynamic array or (better) use a std::vector. Then you can pass it to a function.
    Cheers, D Drmmr

Please put [code][/code] tags around your code to preserve indentation and make it more readable.

As long as man ascribes to himself what is merely a posibility, he will not work for the attainment of it. - P. D. Ouspensky

Ok.. Thank you very much!!!!!!