CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com

Wink Servlet throws error on compilation

Please I am getting this error when I try to compile a web application in Eclipse. what am i doing wrong? kindly share your professional advice. Thanks. as a newbie to Spring-hibernate application i am following this tutorial - <a href = "http://viralpatel.net/blogs/spring3-mvc-hibernate-maven-tutorial-eclipse-example/?replytocom=42097#respond">Viralpatel- Spring-Hibernate</a>

Code:
    type Exception report

message Servlet.init() for servlet spring threw exception

description The server encountered an internal error that prevented it from fulfilling this request.

exception 

javax.servlet.ServletException: Servlet.init() for servlet spring threw exception
    	org.apache.catalina.authenticator.AuthenticatorBase.invoke(AuthenticatorBase.java:472)
    	org.apache.catalina.valves.ErrorReportValve.invoke(ErrorReportValve.java:99)
    	org.apache.catalina.valves.AccessLogValve.invoke(AccessLogValve.java:929)
    	org.apache.catalina.connector.CoyoteAdapter.service(CoyoteAdapter.java:407)
    	org.apache.coyote.http11.AbstractHttp11Processor.process(AbstractHttp11Processor.java:1002)
    	org.apache.coyote.AbstractProtocol$AbstractConnectionHandler.process(AbstractProtocol.java:585)
    	org.apache.tomcat.util.net.JIoEndpoint$SocketProcessor.run(JIoEndpoint.java:310)
    	java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor.runWorker(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:1145)
    	java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.run(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:615)
    	java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:722)

root cause 

java.lang.NoSuchMethodError: org.springframework.core.io.ResourceEditor.<init>(Lorg/springframework/core/io/ResourceLoader;Lorg/springframework/core/env/PropertyResolver;)V
    	org.springframework.web.servlet.HttpServletBean.init(HttpServletBean.java:126)
    	javax.servlet.GenericServlet.init(GenericServlet.java:160)
    	org.apache.catalina.authenticator.AuthenticatorBase.invoke(AuthenticatorBase.java:472)
    	org.apache.catalina.valves.ErrorReportValve.invoke(ErrorReportValve.java:99)
    	org.apache.catalina.valves.AccessLogValve.invoke(AccessLogValve.java:929)
    	org.apache.catalina.connector.CoyoteAdapter.service(CoyoteAdapter.java:407)
    	org.apache.coyote.http11.AbstractHttp11Processor.process(AbstractHttp11Processor.java:1002)
    	org.apache.coyote.AbstractProtocol$AbstractConnectionHandler.process(AbstractProtocol.java:585)
    	org.apache.tomcat.util.net.JIoEndpoint$SocketProcessor.run(JIoEndpoint.java:310)
    	java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor.runWorker(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:1145)
    	java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.run(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:615)
    	java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:722)

note The full stack trace of the root cause is available in the Apache Tomcat/7.0.30 logs.
    Last edited by ken4ward; May 21st, 2013 at 03:29 AM.

Re: Servlet throws error on compilation

It's impossible to determine the cause with this limited info. Spring and Hibernate are giants each with its own configs and libraries, can be hundreds of reasons. Still by looking at the exception 2 things come to mind: 1. missing library 2. missing/wrong parameter in one of configs: web.xml, spring or hibernate properties/xml.
    Wanna install linux on a vacuum cleaner. Could anyone tell me which distro sucks better?

I had a nightmare last night. I was dreaming that I’m 64-bit and my blanket is 32-bit and I couldn’t cover myself with it, so I’ve spent the whole night freezing. And in the morning I find that my blanket just had fallen off the bed. =S (from: bash.org.ru)

//always looking for job opportunities in AU/NZ/US/CA/Europe :P
    willCodeForFood(Arrays.asList("Java","PHP","C++","bash","Assembler","XML","XHTML","CSS","JS","PL/SQL"));

USE [code] TAGS! Read this FAQ if you are new here. If this post was helpful, please rate it!