CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com

ASP.NET debugging techniques?

I have an interesting and rare situation. There is an single stand-alone ASPX and C sharp file I am debugging. It is not part of a project or web site.

It runs with other files and libraries within a folder of other aspx files and other supporting files. Normally I could debug the file by loading it locally in Visual Studio and attaching it to a copy of the web site running from local host. But here is the tricky part and the thorn in my side. The aspx file uses a lot of libraries that are part of the CMS system we have and the associated database is particular of what clients have access to content on the server.

So my best and immediate solution to this problem is to use some sort of method of writing out to file and/or having pop up windows to show the process. How can I do this in aspx? How can I do this in C sharp?

Re: ASP.NET debugging techniques?

I'm sure the Database has Error and event logging tables, If not simple add one.. all that is needed is a autonumber UID, Date & time and a text column..

Add the required DB access code to simple Debuglog sub that you can call with
    Code:
     DebugLog ("Started in Sub xxxx")
    Now you can put that call in anywhere where needed and log all actions in the C code and peruse over at your own leasure...

The beauty of this is that is does not slow the app down and you have a historical list of what paths were followed...
    Articles VB6 : Break the 2G limit - Animation 1, 2 VB.NET : 2005/8 : Moving Images , Animation 1 , 2 , 3 , User Controls
    WPF Articles : 3D Animation 1 , 2 , 3
    Code snips: VB6 Hex Edit, IP Chat, Copy Prot., Crop, Zoom : .NET IP Chat (V4), Adv. ContextMenus, click Hotspot, Scroll Controls
    Find me in ASP.NET., VB6., VB.NET , Writing Articles, My Genealogy, Forum
    All VS.NET: posts refer to VS.NET 2008 (Pro) unless otherwise stated.