CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com

Best place to see examples of WinAPI examples for Delphi

well i have been experimenting with the Win32 API in Delphi and I'm unsure on where to look on examples to use them..seeing how the MSDN only show's C++ examples.

I have dug through Delphi 7's help file and well... im a little confused so i will just paste my working code i found and the code the help files shows me, i dont understand how it translates into my working code...unless the code im using is some how butchered up.

so here is the code im experimenting with now using the SetConsoleTextAttribute function

----My code that i know works and changes color----

Code:
    begin
       SetConsoleTextAttribute(GetStdHandle(
                              STD_OUTPUT_HANDLE),
                              FOREGROUND_RED OR
                              BACKGROUND_BLUE);

Writeln('Red text on a blue background !');
      ReadLn;
    end.
    ----------End working code---------------------

--------Now here is a snip from the official delphi documentation-----

Code:
    BOOL SetConsoleTextAttribute(

HANDLE hConsoleOutput,  // handle of console screen buffer  
        WORD wAttributes    // text and background colors 
       );
    Code:
    Parameters

hConsoleOutput

Identifies a console screen buffer. The handle must have GENERIC_READ access.

wAttributes

Specifies the foreground and background color attributes. Any combination of the following values can be specified: FOREGROUND_BLUE, FOREGROUND_GREEN, FOREGROUND_RED, FOREGROUND_INTENSITY, BACKGROUND_BLUE, BACKGROUND_GREEN, BACKGROUND_RED, and BACKGROUND_INTENSITY. For example, the following combination of values produces white text on a black background:

FOREGROUND_RED | FOREGROUND_GREEN | FOREGROUND_BLUE
    ------End Delphi help------

Can someone please tell me what cylinder in my head is not firing on this?

2kaud is offline Super Moderator Power Poster

Re: Best place to see examples of WinAPI examples for Delphi

Your code matches the official delphi documentation. The first parameter to SetConsoleTextAttribute is a handle to the console screen buffer. This is what GetStdHandle(STD_OUTPUT_HANDLE) provides - a handle to the standard output. The second parameter to SetConsoleTextAttribute is the character attributes. In your case you are setting the foreground red and the background blue by or'ing the two values.

If you are using many of the console functions in one program, normally you would obtain the output handle only once, store this in a variable and then use this variable whenever the documentation requires a handle to console output.
    All advice is offered in good faith only. All my code is tested (unless stated explicitly otherwise) with the latest version of Microsoft Visual Studio (using the supported features of the latest standard) and is offered as examples only - not as production quality. I cannot offer advice regarding any other c/c++ compiler/IDE or incompatibilities with VS. You are ultimately responsible for the effects of your programs and the integrity of the machines they run on. Anything I post, code snippets, advice, etc is licensed as Public Domain https://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/zero/1.0/ and can be used without reference or acknowledgement. Also note that I only provide advice and guidance via the forums - and not via private messages!

C++23 Compiler: Microsoft VS2022 (17.6.5)