CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Re: Announcement: Forum software upgrade

Quote Originally Posted by Steve R Jones View Post
    Try using the "FORUM ACTIONS" - Mark All Threads Read option to see if that clears it up.
    Nope, still the same behaviour.
    Debugging is twice as hard as writing the code in the first place.
    Therefore, if you write the code as cleverly as possible, you are, by
    definition, not smart enough to debug it.
    - Brian W. Kernighan

To enhance your chance's of getting an answer be sure to read
    http://www.codeguru.com/forum/announ...nouncementid=6
    and http://www.codeguru.com/forum/showthread.php?t=366302 before posting

Refresh your memory on formatting tags here
    http://www.codeguru.com/forum/misc.php?do=bbcode

Get your free MS compiler here
    https://visualstudio.microsoft.com/vs

How - when and where are you entering the site?

I use the Main Forum page in my bookmark:
    http://forums.codeguru.com/forum.php

What you're describing "is" a feature of the forum but I believe it's disabled - and I've never seen it here.

I enter the same way as you do.

I think it's that I do log in instead of having remember me checked. This time it seems like there was a post update during the time from login, showing the thank you message and then me clicking New Posts. I.e. one post showed up as new, all other as not updated but not read.
    Debugging is twice as hard as writing the code in the first place.
    Therefore, if you write the code as cleverly as possible, you are, by
    definition, not smart enough to debug it.
    - Brian W. Kernighan

To enhance your chance's of getting an answer be sure to read
    http://www.codeguru.com/forum/announ...nouncementid=6
    and http://www.codeguru.com/forum/showthread.php?t=366302 before posting

Refresh your memory on formatting tags here
    http://www.codeguru.com/forum/misc.php?do=bbcode

Get your free MS compiler here
    https://visualstudio.microsoft.com/vs

Exclamation Re: Announcement: Forum software upgrade

Looks like the thread view count problem is back, as described in http://forums.codeguru.com/showthrea...13#post2074413. Can't say anything about attachment download counts by now.
    I was thrown out of college for cheating on the metaphysics exam; I looked into the soul of the boy sitting next to me.

This is a snakeskin jacket! And for me it's a symbol of my individuality, and my belief... in personal freedom.

Also, the forum doesn't "Remember me", regardless of how hard I click the respective check box when logging in. AFAICT accepting cookies isn't disabled in my Firefox 22 (and they do work with other sites), and there's no related option activated in my Kaypersky Internet Security suite 2013.
    I was thrown out of college for cheating on the metaphysics exam; I looked into the soul of the boy sitting next to me.

This is a snakeskin jacket! And for me it's a symbol of my individuality, and my belief... in personal freedom.

VictorN is offline Super Moderator Power Poster

I do not have any problem with "Remember me" using Google Chrome.
    Victor Nijegorodov

Quote Originally Posted by VictorN View Post
    I do not have any problem with "Remember me" using Google Chrome.
    I don't have either with Dolphin Browser on Android, and that's a rather exotic one AFAICT. It's just my Firefox that the forum keeps forgetting. (The issue pertained at least to the previous Firefox 21 as well, and yes, it did work using the two browsers aternatingly before the forum software update.)

2kaud is offline Super Moderator Power Poster

Works fine for me with Firefox.
    All advice is offered in good faith only. All my code is tested (unless stated explicitly otherwise) with the latest version of Microsoft Visual Studio (using the supported features of the latest standard) and is offered as examples only - not as production quality. I cannot offer advice regarding any other c/c++ compiler/IDE or incompatibilities with VS. You are ultimately responsible for the effects of your programs and the integrity of the machines they run on. Anything I post, code snippets, advice, etc is licensed as Public Domain https://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/zero/1.0/ and can be used without reference or acknowledgement. Also note that I only provide advice and guidance via the forums - and not via private messages!

C++23 Compiler: Microsoft VS2022 (17.6.5)

Quote Originally Posted by 2kaud View Post
    Works fine for me with Firefox.
    Yeah, I'd have placed almost any bet on that this doesn't affect all Firefox instalations; in that case it would have been reported much earlier.

I alreafy double-checked for some setting I may have screwed up, without a positive result. Looks like I'll need to check at least a third time. Also, I must have screwed it up before the forum software update, it just didn't lead to perceivable problems with the old version; I'm pretty sure I didn't change anything about the browser or AV/firewall config since the update.

Quote Originally Posted by Eri523 View Post
    Yeah, I'd have placed almost any bet on that this doesn't affect all Firefox instalations; in that case it would have been reported much earlier.
    Happened to me earlier this week and I didn't think much of it. Seeing the fact that you have the same issue, I'll jump on your bandwagon.

It is fine though now, or ever since Tuesday. Using FireFox 21

Once you log in.... Use the LOG OUT option so that it'll delete your cookie... Logging back in will create a new one.

Also guessing that you aren't using CCleaner or anything similar that clears out cookies.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve R Jones View Post
    Once you log in.... Use the LOG OUT option so that it'll delete your cookie... Logging back in will create a new one.
    That looked really promising but it didn't help. Initially I had thought it had fixed it, but in that quick first test I just closed the CodeGuru browser tab, not Firefox itself. If I do the latter, then the forum continues not to remember me.

One observation I made: When I click the Log In button after having entered my credentials, the password field gets cleared (i.e. the dots representing the characters disappear) before the next page is displayed. I can't remember having seen this with the last version of the forum software. Perhaps it's related to the problem.

Also guessing that you aren't using CCleaner or anything similar that clears out cookies.
    CCleaner's default settings are way too aggressive for my taste, so I'll need to do quite some clicking before it's set up to my desire. Therefore I use it extremely rarely; I'd bet the last time I used it even was before the forum update prior to this one. I don't use any similar software either.
    Last edited by Eri523; July 3rd, 2013 at 05:33 PM.

One observation I made: When I click the Log In button after having entered my credentials, the password field gets cleared (i.e. the dots representing the characters disappear) before the next page is displayed. I can't remember having seen this with the last version of the forum software. Perhaps it's related to the problem.
    Actually that is a good thing. From time to time if you type in your password AND you can see the actual letters - it's an indication that the page hasn't fully loaded...which is a bad thing.

Yesterday was kind of strange w/ the .CSS page. Didn't remember to collapse my favs. Today, it looks like it did, before yesterday. Rollback?
    David

CodeGuru Article: Bound Controls are Evil-VB6
    2013 Samples: MS CODE Samples

CodeGuru Reviewer
    2006 Dell CSP
    2006, 2007 & 2008 MVP Visual Basic
    If your question has been answered satisfactorily, and it has been helpful, then, please, Rate this Post!

Have the 19 "new" threads by Brad Jones in General Developer Topics, all timestamped 10:10 PM Jul 29 CEST, been some sort of test? At least most of their titles sounded familiar to me from weeks or even months ago, and when trying to follow the links to the blog entries in two of them, they turned out to be dead.

If this is not a test, it's the manifestation of another forum software bug, isn't it?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast