CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com

Question How to Implement HD video recording using DirectShow.?

Hi,

I am using DirectShow to Play / Pause / Stop and Capture Video files. But Capturing and playing of video files is simple. I want to Implement HD Video recording in my project.

Anybody have any idea of how to Implement HD Video Capturing using DirectShow.?

Or Apart from DirectShow, is there any other method to Implement HD Video recording in MFC.

Regards,
    Mbatra

Re: How to Implement HD video recording using DirectShow.?

What is your understanding of HD Video, and how it differs from Video that you are able to capture?
    Best regards,
    Igor

Hi,

As per my understanding, High-definition video is video of higher resolution than is standard. The frames being captured at Higher resolution than the standard. The number of frames per second will me higher. Also the video will be Noise free as compared to the standard.

That's all I know about HD.

Please let me know if there is any documentation on understanding HD better. I might be missing many details.

Regards,
    Mbatra

HD is strictly about resolution. And resolution has nothing to do with picture perceivable quality characteristics like 'clear', or 'blurred', or 'noisy', etc. Your capturing device may produce 1080p picture and generate a lot of noise due to low-cost CMOS matrix. Or it may blur due to picture upscale because of the matrix low physical resolution. Besides, number of frames per second matters for media streaming (bandwidth, volume of transferred data) and physical rendering devices, but those invest nothing into single image quality.

And by no means the things above have anything to do with DirectShow. Whether you're able to obtain high resolution images from image capturing device is strictly about physical characteristics of the device. Whether you're able to get clear, bright, crisp raw picture from capturing device is, again, strictly about the device. Whether you're able to encode/decode the captured frames, whatever resolution and quality those are of, is strictly about codec in use and workstation resources like CPU and RAM availability. Whether you're able to transfer media stream to rendering device timely and undistorted is strictly about codecs and rendering filters performance and physical device characteristics. Whether you're able to modify your frames on the fly while encoding, to fight blur, or noise, or whatever else, it's strictly about image filters you connect in your DS graph. And DirectShow itself invests into this nothing.

So, you want to encode/decode HD video, you find appropriate codec. You want your picture be of high quality, you find decent capturing device. You want your picture be improved to whatever you want, you find filters that suit your needs. When you have all filters/codecs you need, you connect that all together into DirectShow graph and just start it.
    Last edited by Igor Vartanov; June 20th, 2013 at 05:44 AM.
    Best regards,
    Igor

Ok ...fine.

Thanks for the Info.

I'll try to do the things you said above.

if there is any issue, I'll discuss with you.

Regards,
    Mbatra

Hi Igor,

I started with playing a HD video file using our application. I installed the codecs H.264 and others required for the same. But the HD video is somewhat blur while playing.

Can you give me an idea what could be the problem.

Can you help me if I am missing any filter required for HD video playing.

I am not able to achieve HD video recording / playing using our software.

Regards,
    Mbatra

Afraid I can not help you with this, and you should try with forums other than this one.
    Best regards,
    Igor