CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com

Visual Studio Debug vs Release "Start Debugging"

Is there something inherently wrong with using the "Start Debugging" feature in Visual Studio C++ when in Release mode? Die to unrelated problems Debug mode has been disabled in my Visual Studio. I can only work in Release mode. But when I do something like read a file using a 3rd party library it does not work when I use the Start Debugging feature while in Release mode. The program cannot find the file it is supposed to read. But when I execute the program that was built in Release mode in the command prompt, it works. Why?

Re: Visual Studio Debug vs Release "Start Debugging"

Quote Originally Posted by bigc++ View Post
    Is there something inherently wrong with using the "Start Debugging" feature in Visual Studio C++ when in Release mode? Die to unrelated problems Debug mode has been disabled in my Visual Studio. I can only work in Release mode. But when I do something like read a file using a 3rd party library it does not work when I use the Start Debugging feature while in Release mode. The program cannot find the file it is supposed to read. But when I execute the program that was built in Release mode in the command prompt, it works. Why?
    How do you specify the file name? Do you use the full path name?

Regards,

Paul McKenzie

Quote Originally Posted by Paul McKenzie View Post
    How do you specify the file name? Do you use the full path name?

Regards,

Paul McKenzie
    Just the file name: "a.txt" is the input parameter. The file is in the same folder as the executable

Being in the same folder with exe doesn't matter. What matters is current folder, which is project folder in case of debugging in VS IDE, and the folder where you run exe in case of running in console.

To succesfully program applicatiins you must be aware of how your target OS works. Ideally you must know that better than your targeted audience does.
    Last edited by Igor Vartanov; June 22nd, 2013 at 04:05 AM.
    Best regards,
    Igor