CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com

Using Raw Input for joysticks, multiple axes, and deadzones

I'm currently using Raw Input to get joypad/stick information. At the beginning of my application I cache all of these devices, and the number of axes they each have (using HidP_GetValueCaps(), HidP_GetUsageValue() e.t.c). For each axis my game engine can apply a deadzone, however this means that if we have 2 axes on one analog stick then we get a squared deadzone. In order to calculate a circular deadzone we must know which axes lie on a single stick (e.g. axes 0 and 1 on an XBox 360 controller belong to the left analog stick) before using some simple trig to work it out. Is there anything in Raw Input that tells us this?

GCDEF is offline Elite Member Power Poster

Re: Using Raw Input for joysticks, multiple axes, and deadzones

Quote Originally Posted by Rajveer86 View Post
    I'm currently using Raw Input to get joypad/stick information. At the beginning of my application I cache all of these devices, and the number of axes they each have (using HidP_GetValueCaps(), HidP_GetUsageValue() e.t.c). For each axis my game engine can apply a deadzone, however this means that if we have 2 axes on one analog stick then we get a squared deadzone. In order to calculate a circular deadzone we must know which axes lie on a single stick (e.g. axes 0 and 1 on an XBox 360 controller belong to the left analog stick) before using some simple trig to work it out. Is there anything in Raw Input that tells us this?
    What's your Visual C++ question?

Sorry, wrong forum. Can a mod move this to "C++ and WinAPI" (I think that's the appropriate forum)?

VictorN is offline Super Moderator Power Poster

Quote Originally Posted by Rajveer86 View Post
    Sorry, wrong forum. Can a mod move this to "C++ and WinAPI" (I think that's the appropriate forum)?
    Rather than "think" or guess you should have just better read what is which Forum is for!
    For example:
    Forum: Visual C++ Programming
    Ask questions about Windows programming with Visual C++ and help others by answering their questions.
    Forum: C++ and WinAPI
    Discuss Windows API related issues using C++ (and Visual C++). This is a non-MFC forum.
    So both Forums are to duscuss the programming issues using or related to C++ (and Visual C++).

Then I would repeat the question GCDEF already asked:
    What's your (Visual) C++ question?
    Victor Nijegorodov

Ok it seems to be the linkCollection variable belonging to the HIDP_VALUE_CAPS struct. The problem now is that during testing, only the XBox 360 controller conformed to separating it's axes into different link collections (both axes on the left stick are part of collection 1, the right stick part of collection 2 e.t.c). My Saitek X52 has all axes as part of collection 1, and a few others controllers I tried do this too.

VictorN is offline Super Moderator Power Poster

Well, both HidP_GetValueCaps() function and HIDP_VALUE_CAPS struct belong to Windows Drivers section in MSDN.
    Perhaps, you should ask in the Driver Development forum?
    Victor Nijegorodov