CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com

Thread: SPAM filter

SPAM filter

I believe there is some sort of automatic spam filter active on CodeGuru, but I wonder why a post like this (#4) is not filtered out. There are hardly any English words in the text. It's really annoying when you follow a topic and some rubbish like that is posted. Would be nice if these kinds of posts could be filtered out automatically somehow.

Thanks, D Drmmr

Re: SPAM filter

Did you notice that the member had been banned? The post is now gone....

We do have filters in place but can't catch everything AND keep the site open at the same time. That's where the moderators kick in... AND, all members like yourself are encouraged to click the "Report this thread" option. An email gets sent to the mods of the forum and all admins.

AFAIK, ~ 1 in 100 get through the filters, the rest get queued for the Mods to check before they go live.. where we normally kill them before anyone else see's it...

So for every 1 spam post you see, 99 others were caught by the filters and stopped dead...

But thanks for posting about it.. Help us keep the forums clean and clear of crap.....
    Articles VB6 : Break the 2G limit - Animation 1, 2 VB.NET : 2005/8 : Moving Images , Animation 1 , 2 , 3 , User Controls
    WPF Articles : 3D Animation 1 , 2 , 3
    Code snips: VB6 Hex Edit, IP Chat, Copy Prot., Crop, Zoom : .NET IP Chat (V4), Adv. ContextMenus, click Hotspot, Scroll Controls
    Find me in ASP.NET., VB6., VB.NET , Writing Articles, My Genealogy, Forum
    All VS.NET: posts refer to VS.NET 2008 (Pro) unless otherwise stated.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve R Jones View Post
    Did you notice that the member had been banned? The post is now gone....
    OK, that's good.
    Quote Originally Posted by GremlinSA View Post
    So for every 1 spam post you see, 99 others were caught by the filters and stopped dead...

But thanks for posting about it.. Help us keep the forums clean and clear of crap.....
    I figured that much, but can't see what already gets filtered out, of course. Good to know the mods are active to keep the forums clean. Keep up the good work!
    Cheers, D Drmmr

Please put [code][/code] tags around your code to preserve indentation and make it more readable.

As long as man ascribes to himself what is merely a posibility, he will not work for the attainment of it. - P. D. Ouspensky