CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com

Problem getting thumbnails

Hi everyone, I'm very new to C++ so please go easy on me. I'm using a very simple DLL to get a thumbnail for a file and add it to an imagelist. The problem is, whenever I pass a pidl that points to a text document (*.txt), something goes wrong and the development environment for the app using the DLL freezes. Any other file type successfully returns either the thumbnail or file icon.

It's a very short code; not sure what could be going wrong.

Code:
    	extern "C" RNTHUMB_API HRESULT __stdcall AddTohIML(HIMAGELIST himl, PCIDLIST_ABSOLUTE pidlSrc, int cxThumb, int cyThumb, int lFlags)
    	{
            int hpos1 = -1;
    		HRESULT hr = CoInitializeEx(NULL, COINIT_APARTMENTTHREADED | COINIT_DISABLE_OLE1DDE);
            if (SUCCEEDED(hr))
            {

// Getting the IShellItemImageFactory interface pointer for the file.
                IShellItemImageFactory *pImageFactory;
                hr = SHCreateItemFromIDList(pidlSrc, IID_PPV_ARGS(&pImageFactory));
                if (SUCCEEDED(hr))
                {
                    SIZE size = { cxThumb, cyThumb };
                    HBITMAP hbmp;
                    hr = pImageFactory->GetImage(size, (SIIGBF)lFlags, &hbmp);
                    if (SUCCEEDED(hr))
                    {

hpos1 = ImageList_Add(himl, hbmp, NULL);
    					return (HRESULT)hpos1;
                        DeleteObject(hbmp);
    				}

pImageFactory->Release();
    			}
    		}
    		CoUninitialize();
    		return (HRESULT)hpos1;
    	};
    Using VS2008.

2kaud is offline Super Moderator Power Poster

Re: Problem getting thumbnails

Welcome. We are a friendly bunch of gurus who'll try to help, guide and advise the best we can.

You've passed the first test - used proper code tags!

Code:
    if (SUCCEEDED(hr)) {
    	hpos1 = ImageList_Add(himl, hbmp, NULL);
    	return (HRESULT)hpos1;
    	DeleteObject(hbmp);
    }
    I haven't used those image factory functions so can't really comment on the problem - but does the .txt file contain images or anything unusual? Also, the DeleteObject(hbmp) function will never be called as it is after the return statement.
    Last edited by 2kaud; July 6th, 2013 at 07:54 AM.
    All advice is offered in good faith only. All my code is tested (unless stated explicitly otherwise) with the latest version of Microsoft Visual Studio (using the supported features of the latest standard) and is offered as examples only - not as production quality. I cannot offer advice regarding any other c/c++ compiler/IDE or incompatibilities with VS. You are ultimately responsible for the effects of your programs and the integrity of the machines they run on. Anything I post, code snippets, advice, etc is licensed as Public Domain https://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/zero/1.0/ and can be used without reference or acknowledgement. Also note that I only provide advice and guidance via the forums - and not via private messages!

C++23 Compiler: Microsoft VS2022 (17.6.5)

Nope, it's just a plain old text file. And this is for all text files, not a specific one. There might be other file types; I haven't done an exhaustive search, but so far that's it.

Quote Originally Posted by fafalone View Post
    The problem is, whenever I pass a pidl that points to a text document (*.txt), something goes wrong and the development environment for the app using the DLL freezes.
    Are you intending to fix VS2008?
    Best regards,
    Igor

Quote Originally Posted by Igor Vartanov View Post
    Are you intending to fix VS2008?
    I'm using the DLL from a VB6 program on Win7 x64. Please hold the snickering, legacy programming has its place

I'm using the DLL from a VB6 program on Win7 x64. Please hold the snickering, legacy programming has its place
    What happens if you don't debug it and just let the application run? Does your program work? You need to see if it is the development environment, or your application truly has an error.

Regards,

Paul McKenzie

Please hold the snickering, legacy programming has its place
    Your case is definitely not about legacy programming. It's about, in case your explanation is correct, development environment freezing under certain circumstances. If I were you, I would either change the IDE or find some other way for debugging this code fragment. Or make sure my VS has every single recommended service pack installed, and if it does, I would send a complaint to MS support and see what they be able to come up with.
    Last edited by Igor Vartanov; July 12th, 2013 at 02:05 AM.
    Best regards,
    Igor

Ok, the compiled EXE just hangs like the IDE did. 0 CPU usage too.

I found a way to work around it; specify SIIGBF_THUMBNAILONLY for only those files that support it. Any other set of flags doesn't hang. But I can't just use other flags because it doesn't return the thumbnail for image files unless that flag is there (it should, but doesn't, probably because they're disabled in explorer).

So I guess that's the easy way. But is there a simple way to determine which file types have support for IShellImageFactory? Since additional preview handlers can be installed it's not a static list. And the only example I could seem to find was monstrously complicated (to someone who doesn't know C++) and didn't actually return extensions, only types, for some files.
    Last edited by fafalone; July 22nd, 2013 at 03:40 AM.