CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com

Data center migration

I hope this forum is "general" enough for this question. I figure most people here have experienced this issue in one way or another.

We are migrating our data center and we are concerned about our servers with relative data.

Our goal is to move the server as smooth as possible to the new location, which is only about 200 yards around the corner, but there are bumps, door entries, rough sidewalks, etc.

Does anybody on here have some best practices regarding server transportation he or she would be willing to share?

Thanks in advance.

2kaud is offline Super Moderator Power Poster

Re: Data center migration

It sounds like you have several servers to move. You don't say whether thay are free standing or rack mounted.

1) Make sure they are all backed up first and that the backups are good and can be used successfully to re-create the servers. Test!!!

2) If the servers are under maintenance contract, get the maintenance company to move them

3) If you have to move them yourself and they're too heavy to be carried then I suggest you use a loading trolley and put matting (or something like it - thick rubber etc) down on the floor and push the trolley over the matting. That will absorb the vibrations from the bumps etc. If the servers are too heavy to lift then I would seriously suggest getting a company to move them.
    All advice is offered in good faith only. All my code is tested (unless stated explicitly otherwise) with the latest version of Microsoft Visual Studio (using the supported features of the latest standard) and is offered as examples only - not as production quality. I cannot offer advice regarding any other c/c++ compiler/IDE or incompatibilities with VS. You are ultimately responsible for the effects of your programs and the integrity of the machines they run on. Anything I post, code snippets, advice, etc is licensed as Public Domain https://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/zero/1.0/ and can be used without reference or acknowledgement. Also note that I only provide advice and guidance via the forums - and not via private messages!

C++23 Compiler: Microsoft VS2022 (17.6.5)

Re: Data center migration

I never thought about thick rubber to absorb the load. That sounds like an awesome idea. Thanks for the feedback 2kaud.