CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com
Page 1 of 8 1234 ... LastLast

[RESOLVED] VB Script will not remove modified data from Database

Hello to all members. I'm trying to find some more help on another problem I have found in my script. My last post was resolved with the patience of DataMiser who guided me through the unfamiliar software code. I'm by no means a professional and still learning the basics. Basically I have a series of server side .asp scripts most of which work brilliantly now, but I have one problem that I can't figure out.

An explanation of what it does may be a good place to start. One script takes the information from a screen form and enters it into an Access DB and this works great. I have another form which allows me to edit that form and change any of the fields shown on the approved form. Every field works great with the exception of one. This field contains up to 14 dates all correctly entered into the DB. If I change a date on the form it works, if I add another date, it works and the DB is updated. If I try to delete one of the entries however it cannot perform the task and simply leaves the data intact within the database.

I think I have pinned the problem down to a small part of the form and can post the data...... Is there anybody out there that would like to take up the challenge to teach me a few more bits of programming ? I've tried everything that I learnt from DataMiser but the gems I learnt from him can't be used here as a little sql knowledge, which I don't have is needed. This again is a bit out of my league and hopefully there will be a patient teacher out there.... Can anybody help please. ???? I can

Re: VB Script will not remove modified data from Database

If I try to delete one of the entries however it cannot perform the task and simply leaves the data intact within the database.
    I'm not quite sure what you mean by this. Is it a string field that has a list of dates in it? What code are you using to try and remove one of the entries from the string?
    Always use [code][/code] tags when posting code.

Thumbs up Re: VB Script will not remove modified data from Database

Quote Originally Posted by DataMiser View Post
    I'm not quite sure what you mean by this. Is it a string field that has a list of dates in it? What code are you using to try and remove one of the entries from the string?
    Hi my friend, really nice of you to get back to me, I was hoping you would pick it up as you're pretty familiar with what I am trying to do. The information is in a series of 14 fields each with its own descriptor... EventDated1 ..... EventDated14 in Access db So it's not string. As for the code I am looking at two possibilities. 1 is in a edit.asp script file and the other is in a submit.asp script file not sure which one might be the problem yet.

This is the code that actually adds the data and it works well. You might recognise some of the field names
    Code:
    DATE 1 : 
                                    </td>
                                  <td valign="middle" bgcolor="#000"><input name="EventDated" type="text" class="form" id="EventDated" value="<%=(rsEdit.Fields.Item("EventDated").Value)%>" size="20" maxlength="60">`</td>
    When I want to change data and lets say add another date then I can do so manually on the form by using the correct NUMERIC TEXT format because that is how it is displayed at this point. This bit works fine. If I want to change information and remove one of the dates (which now appear as numeric text) then you simply backspace, highlight and delete etc and then hit the submit button which should then read the data and re-write the information into the DB under it's unique identifier which we called EventId. This is the part that doesn't work. When I hit the same submit button this is the code it calls on

Code:
    <input name="save" type="submit" class="form" id="submit2" onClick="MM_validateForm('EventName','','R','EVE_URL','','R','EventDescription','','R');return document.MM_returnValue" value="Save Changes">
    does that make any sense to you? I would also love to understand what the digits are when you connect to the DB...... eg ...... connect 2, 3... are they field numbers ??

Thanks for the help again... Wish I could buy you a drink :-) I look forward to learning a bit about this type of routine as well because there are other things I could perhaps apply it to. By the way, I did use what you taught me to repair another similar problem in the code

Doesn't look like the code that would update the database is there.
    I see code that populates the page from the database and some client side web stuff but not the server side part that would apply whatever changes you made.

I would also love to understand what the digits are when you connect to the DB...... eg ...... connect 2, 3... are they field numbers ??
    Maybe you mean the next:
    Code:
    Opens a cursor on a Recordset object.

Syntax :
    recordset.Open Source, ActiveConnection, CursorType, LockType, Options

Parameters :

Source 
    Optional. A Variant that evaluates to a valid Command object, an SQL statement, a table name, a stored procedure call, a URL, or the name of a file or Stream object containing a persistently stored Recordset.

ActiveConnection 
    Optional. Either a Variant that evaluates to a valid Connection object variable name, or a String that contains ConnectionString parameters.

CursorType 
    Optional. A CursorTypeEnum value that determines the type of cursor that the provider should use when opening the Recordset. The default value is adOpenForwardOnly.

CursorTypeEnum: Specifies the type of cursor used in a Recordset object.
      adOpenDynamic 2 Uses a dynamic cursor. Additions, changes, and deletions by other users are visible, and all types of movement  through the Recordset are allowed, except for bookmarks, if the provider doesn't support them.

adOpenForwardOnly 0 Default. Uses a forward-only cursor. Identical to a static cursor, except that you can only scroll forward through records. This improves performance when you need to make only one pass through a Recordset.

adOpenKeyset 1 Uses a keyset cursor. Like a dynamic cursor, except that you can't see records that other users add, although records that other users delete are inaccessible from your Recordset. Data changes by other users are still visible.

adOpenStatic 3 Uses a static cursor, which is a static copy of a set of records that you can use to find data or generate reports. Additions, changes, or deletions by other users are not visible.

adOpenUnspecified -1 Does not specify the type of cursor.

LockType 
    Optional. A LockTypeEnum value that determines what type of locking (concurrency) the provider should use when opening the Recordset. The default value is adLockReadOnly.

LockTypeEnum: Specifies the type of lock placed on records during editing.
      adLockBatchOptimistic 4 Indicates optimistic batch updates. Required for batch update mode.

adLockOptimistic 3 Indicates optimistic locking, record by record. The provider uses optimistic locking, locking records only when you call the Update method.

adLockPessimistic 2 Indicates pessimistic locking, record by record. The provider does what is necessary to ensure successful editing of the records, usually by locking records at the data source immediately after editing.

adLockReadOnly 1 Indicates read-only records. You cannot alter the data.

adLockUnspecified -1 Does not specify a type of lock. For clones, the clone is created with the same lock type as the original.

Options 
    Optional. A Long value that indicates how the provider should evaluate the Source argument if it represents something other than a Command object, or that the Recordset should be restored from a file where it was previously saved. Can be one or more CommandTypeEnum or ExecuteOptionEnum values, which can be combined with a bitwise OR operator.
    Last edited by jggtz; July 16th, 2013 at 01:07 AM.
    JG

... If your problem is fixed don't forget to mark your threads as resolved using the Thread Tools menu ...

Resolved Re: VB Script will not remove modified data from Database

Quote Originally Posted by jggtz View Post
    Maybe you mean the next:
    Code:
    Opens a cursor on a Recordset object.

Syntax :
    recordset.Open Source, ActiveConnection, CursorType, LockType, Options

Parameters :

Source 
    Optional. A Variant that evaluates to a valid Command object, an SQL statement, a table name, a stored procedure call, a URL, or the name of a file or Stream object containing a persistently stored Recordset.

ActiveConnection 
    Optional. Either a Variant that evaluates to a valid Connection object variable name, or a String that contains ConnectionString parameters.

CursorType 
    Optional. A CursorTypeEnum value that determines the type of cursor that the provider should use when opening the Recordset. The default value is adOpenForwardOnly.

CursorTypeEnum: Specifies the type of cursor used in a Recordset object.
      adOpenDynamic 2 Uses a dynamic cursor. Additions, changes, and deletions by other users are visible, and all types of movement  through the Recordset are allowed, except for bookmarks, if the provider doesn't support them.

adOpenForwardOnly 0 Default. Uses a forward-only cursor. Identical to a static cursor, except that you can only scroll forward through records. This improves performance when you need to make only one pass through a Recordset.

adOpenKeyset 1 Uses a keyset cursor. Like a dynamic cursor, except that you can't see records that other users add, although records that other users delete are inaccessible from your Recordset. Data changes by other users are still visible.

adOpenStatic 3 Uses a static cursor, which is a static copy of a set of records that you can use to find data or generate reports. Additions, changes, or deletions by other users are not visible.

adOpenUnspecified -1 Does not specify the type of cursor.

LockType 
    Optional. A LockTypeEnum value that determines what type of locking (concurrency) the provider should use when opening the Recordset. The default value is adLockReadOnly.

LockTypeEnum: Specifies the type of lock placed on records during editing.
      adLockBatchOptimistic 4 Indicates optimistic batch updates. Required for batch update mode.

adLockOptimistic 3 Indicates optimistic locking, record by record. The provider uses optimistic locking, locking records only when you call the Update method.

adLockPessimistic 2 Indicates pessimistic locking, record by record. The provider does what is necessary to ensure successful editing of the records, usually by locking records at the data source immediately after editing.

adLockReadOnly 1 Indicates read-only records. You cannot alter the data.

adLockUnspecified -1 Does not specify a type of lock. For clones, the clone is created with the same lock type as the original.

Options 
    Optional. A Long value that indicates how the provider should evaluate the Source argument if it represents something other than a Command object, or that the Recordset should be restored from a file where it was previously saved. Can be one or more CommandTypeEnum or ExecuteOptionEnum values, which can be combined with a bitwise OR operator.

Hi JG ??? Phew .... that is going to take some digesting !!!! CUT.... PASTE.....GOOGLE :-) to say the least !! Not sure where that code is now as I though that was it, so I will have to trawl through these 3 scripts to find out which might do the update. You are of course quite right in saying that the information passed to those fields populate the DB. I just need to find out what recovers the information.. which I think will be in the edit.asp script, from the DB and what code appends the new information back to the DB... sounds easy enough huh :-) I had best begin tonight then !!! thanks again my friend......

DA

Quote Originally Posted by davida1956 View Post
    Hi JG ??? Phew .... that is going to take some digesting !!!! CUT.... PASTE.....GOOGLE :-) to say the least !! Not sure where that code is now as I though that was it, so I will have to trawl through these 3 scripts to find out which might do the update. You are of course quite right in saying that the information passed to those fields populate the DB. I just need to find out what recovers the information.. which I think will be in the edit.asp script, from the DB and what code appends the new information back to the DB... sounds easy enough huh :-) I had best begin tonight then !!! thanks again my friend......

DA
    The code above looks as if it is calling for another routine called MM_validateForm .. I think. This is also on the page but there is a lot of it that simply doesn't add up as it checks for errors in email address for instance... None of the calendar features include an email function.... here is the code... can you explain it simply for me please.

Code:
    <!--
    function MM_findObj(n, d) { //v4.01
      var p,i,x;  if(!d) d=document; if((p=n.indexOf("?"))>0&&parent.frames.length) {
        d=parent.frames[n.substring(p+1)].document; n=n.substring(0,p);}
      if(!(x=d[n])&&d.all) x=d.all[n]; for (i=0;!x&&i<d.forms.length;i++) x=d.forms[i][n];
      for(i=0;!x&&d.layers&&i<d.layers.length;i++) x=MM_findObj(n,d.layers[i].document);
      if(!x && d.getElementById) x=d.getElementById(n); return x;
    }

function MM_validateForm() { //v4.0
      var i,p,q,nm,test,num,min,max,errors='',args=MM_validateForm.arguments;
      for (i=0; i<(args.length-2); i+=3) { test=args[i+2]; val=MM_findObj(args[i]);
        if (val) { nm=val.name; if ((val=val.value)!="") {
          if (test.indexOf('isEmail')!=-1) { p=val.indexOf('@');
            if (p<1 || p==(val.length-1)) errors+='- '+nm+' must contain an e-mail address.\n';
          } else if (test!='R') { num = parseFloat(val);
            if (isNaN(val)) errors+='- '+nm+' must contain a number.\n';
            if (test.indexOf('inRange') != -1) { p=test.indexOf(':');
              min=test.substring(8,p); max=test.substring(p+1);
              if (num<min || max<num) errors+='- '+nm+' must contain a number between '+min+' and '+max+'.\n';
        } } } else if (test.charAt(0) == 'R') errors += '- '+nm+' is required.\n'; }
      } if (errors) alert('The following error(s) occurred:\n'+errors);
      document.MM_returnValue = (errors == '');
    }
    //-->

There is another chunks of code with comments such as create sql query...... I expanded it from a 2 day event to a 14 day event here and in many other parts of the program....

Code:
     <%
    ' *** Update Record: construct a sql update statement and execute it

If (CStr(Request("MM_update")) <> "" And CStr(Request("MM_recordId")) <> "") Then

' create the sql update statement
     Dim Query, EventsRS
    	Query = "SELECT * FROM Events WHERE EventId=" & Request("MM_recordId")
    	Set EventsRS = Server.CreateObject("ADODB.Recordset")
    	EventsRS.Open Query, Connect, 2, 3
    ' This is part of the 14 day event modification.	
    	EventsRS("EventType") = Request("EventType")
    	EventsRS("EventName") = Request("EventName")
    	EventsRS("EventDated") = Request("EventDated")
    	If IsDate(Request("EventDated_2")) Then EventsRS("EventDated_2") = Request("EventDated_2")
    	If IsDate(Request("EventDated_3")) Then EventsRS("EventDated_3") = Request("EventDated_3")
    	If IsDate(Request("EventDated_4")) Then EventsRS("EventDated_4") = Request("EventDated_4")
    	If IsDate(Request("EventDated_5")) Then EventsRS("EventDated_5") = Request("EventDated_5")
    	If IsDate(Request("EventDated_6")) Then EventsRS("EventDated_6") = Request("EventDated_6")
    	If IsDate(Request("EventDated_7")) Then EventsRS("EventDated_7") = Request("EventDated_7")
    	If IsDate(Request("EventDated_8")) Then EventsRS("EventDated_8") = Request("EventDated_8")
    	If IsDate(Request("EventDated_9")) Then EventsRS("EventDated_9") = Request("EventDated_9")
    	If IsDate(Request("EventDated_10")) Then EventsRS("EventDated_10") = Request("EventDated_10")
    	If IsDate(Request("EventDated_11")) Then EventsRS("EventDated_11") = Request("EventDated_11")
    	If IsDate(Request("EventDated_12")) Then EventsRS("EventDated_12") = Request("EventDated_12")
    	If IsDate(Request("EventDated_13")) Then EventsRS("EventDated_13") = Request("EventDated_13")
    	If IsDate(Request("EventDated_14")) Then EventsRS("EventDated_14") = Request("EventDated_14")
    	EventsRS("EventLocation") = Request("EventLocation")
    	EventsRS("EventDescription") = Request("EventDescription")
    	EventsRS("EventApproved") = Request("EventApproved")
    	EventsRS.Update
    	EventsRS.Close()
    	Response.Redirect("events.asp")
    End If
    %>
    am I getting closer to the code that has the problem? I think I'll do a compare. All the way down the upgrade route I have made daily backups. Perhaps I should rewind files in the 'admin' folder because I'm positive the fault is in one of 3 files... it's just the where bit ... that is hard :-) Look forward to hearing back.... Regards....... DA

The second piece of code is the likely culprit and the issue would appear to be that you are only updating the field if there is a valid date coming from the form for that field. So if you omit one of the dates the value that is already int he database will be retained as your code will not tell it to update that field due to it not receiving a valid date for it. given the existing code a simple fix would be to add an else portion to those if statements that sets the field to null if no valid date is given.

btw I find it much easier to work with ASP in VB.Net than in VB6. VB.Net actually allows you to run the code in debug mode and that gives you access to several tools for testing and locating issues with the code.
    Last edited by DataMiser; July 17th, 2013 at 06:38 AM.

The code above looks as if it is calling for another routine called MM_validateForm .. I think. This is also on the page but there is a lot of it that simply doesn't add up as it checks for errors in email address for instance... None of the calendar features include an email function.... here is the code... can you explain it simply for me please.

Code:
    <!--
    function MM_findObj(n, d) { //v4.01
      var p,i,x;  if(!d) d=document; if((p=n.indexOf("?"))>0&&parent.frames.length) {
        d=parent.frames[n.substring(p+1)].document; n=n.substring(0,p);}
      if(!(x=d[n])&&d.all) x=d.all[n]; for (i=0;!x&&i<d.forms.length;i++) x=d.forms[i][n];
      for(i=0;!x&&d.layers&&i<d.layers.length;i++) x=MM_findObj(n,d.layers[i].document);
      if(!x && d.getElementById) x=d.getElementById(n); return x;
    }

function MM_validateForm() { //v4.0
      var i,p,q,nm,test,num,min,max,errors='',args=MM_validateForm.arguments;
      for (i=0; i<(args.length-2); i+=3) { test=args[i+2]; val=MM_findObj(args[i]);
        if (val) { nm=val.name; if ((val=val.value)!="") {
          if (test.indexOf('isEmail')!=-1) { p=val.indexOf('@');
            if (p<1 || p==(val.length-1)) errors+='- '+nm+' must contain an e-mail address.\n';
          } else if (test!='R') { num = parseFloat(val);
            if (isNaN(val)) errors+='- '+nm+' must contain a number.\n';
            if (test.indexOf('inRange') != -1) { p=test.indexOf(':');
              min=test.substring(8,p); max=test.substring(p+1);
              if (num<min || max<num) errors+='- '+nm+' must contain a number between '+min+' and '+max+'.\n';
        } } } else if (test.charAt(0) == 'R') errors += '- '+nm+' is required.\n'; }
      } if (errors) alert('The following error(s) occurred:\n'+errors);
      document.MM_returnValue = (errors == '');
    }
    //-->

There is another chunks of code with comments such as create sql query...... I expanded it from a 2 day event to a 14 day event here and in many other parts of the program....

Code:
     <%
    ' *** Update Record: construct a sql update statement and execute it

If (CStr(Request("MM_update")) <> "" And CStr(Request("MM_recordId")) <> "") Then

' create the sql update statement
     Dim Query, EventsRS
    	Query = "SELECT * FROM Events WHERE EventId=" & Request("MM_recordId")
    	Set EventsRS = Server.CreateObject("ADODB.Recordset")
    	EventsRS.Open Query, Connect, 2, 3
    ' This is part of the 14 day event modification.	
    	EventsRS("EventType") = Request("EventType")
    	EventsRS("EventName") = Request("EventName")
    	EventsRS("EventDated") = Request("EventDated")
    	If IsDate(Request("EventDated_2")) Then EventsRS("EventDated_2") = Request("EventDated_2")
    	If IsDate(Request("EventDated_3")) Then EventsRS("EventDated_3") = Request("EventDated_3")
    	If IsDate(Request("EventDated_4")) Then EventsRS("EventDated_4") = Request("EventDated_4")
    	If IsDate(Request("EventDated_5")) Then EventsRS("EventDated_5") = Request("EventDated_5")
    	If IsDate(Request("EventDated_6")) Then EventsRS("EventDated_6") = Request("EventDated_6")
    	If IsDate(Request("EventDated_7")) Then EventsRS("EventDated_7") = Request("EventDated_7")
    	If IsDate(Request("EventDated_8")) Then EventsRS("EventDated_8") = Request("EventDated_8")
    	If IsDate(Request("EventDated_9")) Then EventsRS("EventDated_9") = Request("EventDated_9")
    	If IsDate(Request("EventDated_10")) Then EventsRS("EventDated_10") = Request("EventDated_10")
    	If IsDate(Request("EventDated_11")) Then EventsRS("EventDated_11") = Request("EventDated_11")
    	If IsDate(Request("EventDated_12")) Then EventsRS("EventDated_12") = Request("EventDated_12")
    	If IsDate(Request("EventDated_13")) Then EventsRS("EventDated_13") = Request("EventDated_13")
    	If IsDate(Request("EventDated_14")) Then EventsRS("EventDated_14") = Request("EventDated_14")
    	EventsRS.Update
    	EventsRS.Close()
    End If
    %>
    am I getting closer to the code that has the problem? I think I'll do a compare. All the way down the upgrade route I have made daily backups. Perhaps I should rewind files in the 'admin' folder because I'm positive the fault is in one of 3 files... it's just the where bit ... that is hard :-) Look forward to hearing back.... Regards....... DA

Hi and once again thanks for your support and suggestions. At least I seem to be looking in the right part of code much faster now which reflects what you have taught me recently. Would I be correct in assuming that each variable in the database will need to be catered for in the 'Else' statement or is there a 'catch for all' option. Would the code I insert be prior to the DB update and if so should it look like this

Code:

'Else
    	'	EventRS("EventType") = Null
    	'	EventRs("EventName") = Null
    	'	EventRS("EventDated") = Null
    	'	EventRS("EventLocation") = Null
    	'	EventRS("EventDescription")= Null
    	'	EventRS("EventApproveved")= Null
    	EventsRS.Update
    	EventsRS.Close()
    End If
    I have commented it out in case there is a better alternative but in the meantime will test it. perhaps I should have done that first but I need to go out this evening and with luck, if I have made a mistake there will be something here for me to digest and implement later :-) Thanks again

Would I be correct in assuming that each variable in the database will need to be catered for in the 'Else' statement or is there a 'catch for all' option. Would the code I insert be prior to the DB update and if so should it look like this
    No, based on what you have said so far you only want to set the date field to null in the case where there is not a valid date.

Code:
    If IsDate(Request("EventDated_2")) Then EventsRS("EventDated_2") = Request("EventDated_2") Else EventsRS("EventDated_2") = null
    If IsDate(Request("EventDated_3")) Then EventsRS("EventDated_3") = Request("EventDated_3") Else EventsRS("EventDated_3") = null
    ' and so on

No, based on what you have said so far you only want to set the date field to null in the case where there is not a valid date.

Code:
    If IsDate(Request("EventDated_2")) Then EventsRS("EventDated_2") = Request("EventDated_2") Else EventsRS("EventDated_2") = null
    If IsDate(Request("EventDated_3")) Then EventsRS("EventDated_3") = Request("EventDated_3") Else EventsRS("EventDated_3") = null
    ' and so on

Hiya Yep that makes perfect sense because all the other fields must have an entry in them and that bit of code works well. I guess if I wanted to reset the whole record then I would use the other method. I have that section of code in several places within the whole program so should be able to integrate the whole thing now. I am a little more confident now armed wit a little knowledge, but a little can also be dangerous. perhaps getting a bit better at identifying what code seems to do within the function. I am interested by your last comment about working with code in VB.NET. Is there anything that I can do, within my current level of skill, to convert or provide code in that format. Totally new to me and have never heard of VB.NET..... till now :-) I would also be interested if you could perhaps explain the first bit of code I posted with error checking for things like email. Does the code have capability that I am not aware of? It was free GNU software that some great guy out there that gave a great deal of time and effort to pass on a useful product to the community. I tried to contact him originally but never received a reply and the email bounced so I guess he is no longer there.

I'll implement and test the code and all other functions tonight and let you know how it goes. Can I ask how you got involved with writing code, I guess helping others gives you a sense of satisfaction I know I get the same feeling of a job well done when I use my own field of expertise to help others. It must be second nature to you by now :-) Thanks again

VB6 was released in 1998 ASP came about also in the later 90s. After VB6 VB.Net was released so far there have been several releases including 2003,2005,2008,2010,2012 they even give a version for free called VB Express. The newer VB environment is designed to create ASP.Net code which is expanded over the basic ASP stuff and you can work with it in the designer and run tests and such. Is a much easier tool to work with when doing web related stuff.

The other bit of code you posted is Java Script which I am far from an expert on, you may have better results posting that piece of code and asking questions in the Client side scripting area here http://forums.codeguru.com/forumdisp...ng-Client-Side

I started coding a long time ago because I thought it was interesting and found I liked it quite a lot. I originally had an idea for a game that I wanted to create but it was a very bold idea that never really panned out. Still I learned tons while doing it and then wrote a different game that was a bit simpler which i was able to sell a few hundred copies of. Eventually I got a job for a software developer and then went off on my own.

VB6 was released in 1998 ASP came about also in the later 90s. After VB6 VB.Net was released so far there have been several releases including 2003,2005,2008,2010,2012 they even give a version for free called VB Express. The newer VB environment is designed to create ASP.Net code which is expanded over the basic ASP stuff and you can work with it in the designer and run tests and such. Is a much easier tool to work with when doing web related stuff.

The other bit of code you posted is Java Script which I am far from an expert on, you may have better results posting that piece of code and asking questions in the Client side scripting area here http://forums.codeguru.com/forumdisp...ng-Client-Side

I started coding a long time ago because I thought it was interesting and found I liked it quite a lot. I originally had an idea for a game that I wanted to create but it was a very bold idea that never really panned out. Still I learned tons while doing it and then wrote a different game that was a bit simpler which i was able to sell a few hundred copies of. Eventually I got a job for a software developer and then went off on my own.
    I guess that the software is backwards compatible and that I should be able to import all the current code into the toolset.. or is that not the case. I work with the adobe toolset.... Dreamwever etc. And have developed a few websites, two of them for myself and 2 others for people I knew who had their own business but I am by no means a professional !! I'll join the suggested forum and ask some questions. I'm getting quite enthusiastic now as other tweaks I am making to the code are going well. I think I put that down to your own enthusiasm my friend :-)

I tried my hand at writing software many, many years ago with the Open University who were doing a full course in Pascal. I don't think I was ready then and didn't do well at all. I went on with my Hardware instincts which is or was my livelihood. I got as far as being a Dell Certified Engineer and can strip and repair (to component level unlike board swaps of today) anything from a simple laptop to clustered servers. Obviously I needed to get my Microsoft Certificate to compliment the years of experience in the field. Installing software and understanding what it does and should be capable of doing is part of the job. Writing the stuff is much like chalk and cheese, two extremes of the same field, writing is the really hard stuff !! I'm very used to the TechNet forum and have developed alongside it I guess and I'm also used to talking directly to the backline techies in Dell if I ever had a problem that needed bouncing round a few heads before implementing it.

Since I was made redundant a few years ago I have been looking for something to keep my grey matter going. The trouble is that with coding I can seem to find a place to start and everything needs to have previous knowledge before trying the next part. Then there is a multitude of languages to try.... I very much admire what you have achieved and tried to do the same for myself. The IT sector here though, especially with the recession is almost impossible to get into. customers are happy to keep who they have and don't want to buy or commission new equipment because ... they may go bust. At 56 I'm sorry to say that I feel a bit like having been dumped on the scrap heap yet I feel I have a lot to offer, especially to young engineer just setting out. Years of experience which would for instance allow me to put a circuit together that will do a simple job like a timer circuit costing about 50 pence rather than trawling through catalogues which will inevitable have a chip that has that function built in that you would then have to develop and so on. In business time is money and speed often clinches the deal. I'm sure you have come across that though :-) Nice to know a bit about you.

I guess that the software is backwards compatible and that I should be able to import all the current code into the toolset.. or is that not the case. I work with the adobe toolset.... Dreamwever etc. And have developed a few websites, two of them for myself and 2 others for people I knew who had their own business but I am by no means a professional !! I'll join the suggested forum and ask some questions. I'm getting quite enthusiastic now as other tweaks I am making to the code are going well. I think I put that down to your own enthusiasm my friend :-)

I tried my hand at writing software many, many years ago with the Open University who were doing a full course in Pascal. I don't think I was ready then and didn't do well at all. I went on with my Hardware instincts which is or was my livelihood. I got as far as being a Dell Certified Engineer and can strip and repair (to component level unlike board swaps of today) anything from a simple laptop to clustered servers. Obviously I needed to get my Microsoft Certificate to compliment the years of experience in the field. Installing software and understanding what it does and should be capable of doing is part of the job. Writing the stuff is much like chalk and cheese, two extremes of the same field, writing is the really hard stuff !! I'm very used to the TechNet forum and have developed alongside it I guess and I'm also used to talking directly to the backline techies in Dell if I ever had a problem that needed bouncing round a few heads before implementing it.

Since I was made redundant a few years ago I have been looking for something to keep my grey matter going. The trouble is that with coding I can seem to find a place to start and everything needs to have previous knowledge before trying the next part. Then there is a multitude of languages to try.... I very much admire what you have achieved and tried to do the same for myself. The IT sector here though, especially with the recession is almost impossible to get into. customers are happy to keep who they have and don't want to buy or commission new equipment because ... they may go bust. At 56 I'm sorry to say that I feel a bit like having been dumped on the scrap heap yet I feel I have a lot to offer, especially to young engineer just setting out. Years of experience which would for instance allow me to put a circuit together that will do a simple job like a timer circuit costing about 50 pence rather than trawling through catalogues which will inevitable have a chip that has that function built in that you would then have to develop and so on. In business time is money and speed often clinches the deal. I'm sure you have come across that though :-) Nice to know a bit about you.
    I'm not sure if my previous post regarding an asp issue and a database access question got to you as I can't see them. Our posts crossed at the same time and I pressed the send at the same time as your arrived :-) Can you let me know please my friend :-) Thanks

Not sure which question you are talking about??

Page 1 of 8 1234 ... LastLast