CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com

Threaded View

Question Strange office automation errror pls help

I have a asp.net website (written in C#) where the user can click on the website and have MS Office 2013 autogenerate Excel spreadsheets.

And now we come to the weird error:

I get this error:
    Retrieving the COM class factory for component with CLSID {00024500-0000-0000-C000-000000000046} failed due to the following error: 8000401a The server process could not be started because the configured identity is incorrect. Check the username and password. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x8000401A).

Unless someone has an (open!!!) RDP connection to the webserver. If I close the RDP, the error is received, even when the user running the App Pool is still logged in. When I re-open the RDP, the error disappears (until the RDP is closed again, that is).

So: It appears, that one has to have an active screen (RDP or a "real" screen) for MS Office automation to work.

My question is this: how do I get around this problem???

Edit: I found out, that if I let a user (the one running the app pool) log in at boot, and then NEVER use RDP (but instead VNC), it works. Because then there is an Interactive User (and there can be only one of those).
    It sucks - of course it should be possible to NOT have an interactive user and all that crap. But this is the least bad solution I found. If one of you have one that's better, I'm all ears.
    Last edited by Lars_V_J; July 20th, 2013 at 08:08 AM.