CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com

Hybrid View

Question about java3D re rendering Speed and Concurrency issues.

If I wish to have internal 3D object motion and changes happening, such that a surface must be re rendered (like a rippling or changing surface), I would introduce Point and or Normal point data changes. I would then call NormalGenerator (or just replace the Shape3D node in question, since NormalGenerator apparently can get call automatically for you) again.

I understand I can to set the relevant write capabilities and optimize using the .compile() function before replacement to the correct BranchGroup, or perhaps entertain skipping this for drawing speed.

-Will a Transform3D change a surface or 3d shape after rendering, or must one fully re render again with another application of the NormalGenerator?

-If doing multiple changes or re renders at observation (result) speed, will this process slow down if done in sequence on one thread (from the purpose of a sequence of changes to produce movement for an animation)?

-Should each recompute be on its on new Thread or Runnable, such that each and all are simply allocated to run() and all sent to memory at once, as multiple threads, and simply held in sequence and exchanged on the appropriate BranchGroup?

-Would such a slow down be a processing/ hardware throughput concern, or one restricted by memory access, particularly?
    Last edited by Zachary1234; July 22nd, 2013 at 12:55 AM.

Re: Question about java3D re rendering Speed and Concurrency issues.

Note that Java3D is discontinued,

https://www.java.net//node/674071

Well, they will do some bug fixing. Nonetheless, could someone still please answer my Transform3D and general performance related questions here, still? Is there anyone who can comment on these java3D related questions?
    Last edited by Zachary1234; July 24th, 2013 at 03:37 AM.

-So, can anyone tell me more about what happens if you try to Transform3D a Shape3D on a TransformGroup node after rendering?

-Can this in fact work post rendering? The java 1.6.0 javadoc for the TransformGroup class seems to imply this is possible.

-If that is so, does this update the initially fed point data inserted into the GeometryInfo or IndexedGeometryArray class, is one calls?

Quote Originally Posted by Zachary1234 View Post
    -So, can anyone tell me
    Well, in the world of obsolete software no one can hear you scream.

You'll have to do something you may not be accustomed to, namely setting up a test case and investigate the effects of various modifications all by yourself.

Java3D is a good example of corporate betrayal. Java3D once held a prominent position as part of core Java but then gradually slipped into the perifery. After years of silent neglect Sun finally admitted (in the refecerence I posted) Java3D was in fact dead.

I wouldn't even trust Oracle to support 3D in JavaFX although they claim they will. Once burned twice shy. Check out jMonkeyEngine and JOGL instead.
    Last edited by razzle; July 27th, 2013 at 01:49 AM.

Could you point me to a non Oracle Website on the internet that might have some answers to my simple java3D questions, particularly a free public forums?

Can someone please tell me how to entirely cancel and remove my CodeGuru forum account?