CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com

Hybrid View

John E is offline Elite Member Power Poster

vcproj and sln files

Are .vcproj and .sln files still used in VS2012 or are they called something else now?

The reason I'm asking is that when I first moved from VC6 to VC8, it was quite handy to be able to have both the new style files (.vcproj / .sln) and the older files (.dsp / .dsw) in the same build folder. It meant that I could easily fall back to building with VC6 if necessary (although I don't think I ever needed to).

Now I want to upgrade to VS2012. Would my .vcproj and .sln files remain preserved or would they get converted to a newer format?
    "A problem well stated is a problem half solved.” - Charles F. Kettering

GCDEF is offline Elite Member Power Poster

Re: vcproj and sln files

Quote Originally Posted by John E View Post
    Are .vcproj and .sln files still used in VS2012 or are they called something else now?

The reason I'm asking is that when I first moved from VC6 to VC8, it was quite handy to be able to have both the new style files (.vcproj / .sln) and the older files (.dsp / .dsw) in the same build folder. It meant that I could easily fall back to building with VC6 if necessary (although I don't think I ever needed to).

Now I want to upgrade to VS2012. Would my .vcproj and .sln files remain preserved or would they get converted to a newer format?
    you get a .sln and a.vcxproj. Different format than 2008.

John E is offline Elite Member Power Poster

Thanks GCDEF. Is .sln also a different format? In VC8 it's a very simple file with really just the projects, their GUIDs and their respective inter-dependencies.
    "A problem well stated is a problem half solved.” - Charles F. Kettering

GCDEF is offline Elite Member Power Poster

Quote Originally Posted by John E View Post
    Thanks GCDEF. Is .sln also a different format? In VC8 it's a very simple file with really just the projects, their GUIDs and their respective inter-dependencies.
    I'm pretty sure the format is different.

solutions are still essentially the same. it's an xml containing references to projects and their dependencies, as well as the various build configuration settings.

however the syntax is entirely different, so they aren't drop in replacements.

Arjay is offline Moderator / EX MS MVP Power Poster

Once you upgrade the files to a newer version, you won't be able to open them in an older version (which has pretty much been the way it's been all along).