CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com
    John E is offline Elite Member Power Poster

Has MSDN changed for everyone else or is it just me??

Up until a few days ago, MSDN used to offer two search tools. One was called Blekko and the other was a tool that only searched within MSDN. I could type in std::list or whatever and it would show me the available MSDN entries. But since a couple of days ago, only the rather crappy Blekko tool is available. I just typed interface and got loads of results about carpets!!

Has anyone else noticed this change or is it just something that's gone wrong at my end?
    "A problem well stated is a problem half solved.” - Charles F. Kettering

GCDEF is offline Elite Member Power Poster

Re: Has MSDN changed for everyone else or is it just me??

I have no idea what you're talking about. Never heard of Blekko. I went to MSDN.com and typed in interface. Didn't check all the results, but the first few pages looked reasonable.

According to Google, blekko is just another search engine.
    You might have installed it inadvertently, and now it is taking over the world.
    Vlad - MS MVP [2007 - 2012] - www.FeinSoftware.com
    Convenience and productivity tools for Microsoft Visual Studio:
    FeinWindows - replacement windows manager for Visual Studio, and more...

Are you seeing the same pages as me?

Here's what I see for the main MSDN page...

Name:  MSDN_lib_main_page.jpg
Views: 152
Size:  91.9 KB

Note the Blekko search bar. There used to be an additional search bar in the top, black area.

And here's what I see after typing interface into the search bar...

Name:  MSDN_blekko_results.jpg
Views: 152
Size:  92.7 KB

2kaud is offline Super Moderator Power Poster

No, I don't see the Blekko search bar for msdn main page. I see the MSDN search bar in the black area that I also see in your screen shot to the right under sign out.
    All advice is offered in good faith only. All my code is tested (unless stated explicitly otherwise) with the latest version of Microsoft Visual Studio (using the supported features of the latest standard) and is offered as examples only - not as production quality. I cannot offer advice regarding any other c/c++ compiler/IDE or incompatibilities with VS. You are ultimately responsible for the effects of your programs and the integrity of the machines they run on. Anything I post, code snippets, advice, etc is licensed as Public Domain https://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/zero/1.0/ and can be used without reference or acknowledgement. Also note that I only provide advice and guidance via the forums - and not via private messages!

C++23 Compiler: Microsoft VS2022 (17.6.5)

Yeah - what's happened is that the regular MSDN search bar now seems to have a black background (at least, on my system) Previously it was white so it showed up perfectly against the black background.

I found out how to reset Internet Explorer to remove any add-ons, then I added them back one at a time. Unbelievably, Blekko (which is widely reported as malware) seems to be part of Ad-Aware!!! I think I'll report it to them on Monday and see what they say.

In the meantime, if anyone here is friendly with Microsoft, please explain to them to how dumb it is to place a black search bar on a black background.! It's not rocket science

2kaud is offline Super Moderator Power Poster

Quote Originally Posted by John E View Post
    Yeah - what's happened is that the regular MSDN search bar now seems to have a black background (at least, on my system) Previously it was white so it showed up perfectly against the black background.
    Yeah, its black on black on my system too with white lettering as you type. Look on the bright side - they could have gone for black lettering as well!
    All advice is offered in good faith only. All my code is tested (unless stated explicitly otherwise) with the latest version of Microsoft Visual Studio (using the supported features of the latest standard) and is offered as examples only - not as production quality. I cannot offer advice regarding any other c/c++ compiler/IDE or incompatibilities with VS. You are ultimately responsible for the effects of your programs and the integrity of the machines they run on. Anything I post, code snippets, advice, etc is licensed as Public Domain https://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/zero/1.0/ and can be used without reference or acknowledgement. Also note that I only provide advice and guidance via the forums - and not via private messages!

C++23 Compiler: Microsoft VS2022 (17.6.5)

Quote Originally Posted by 2kaud View Post
    Yeah, its black on black on my system too with white lettering as you type. Look on the bright side - they could have gone for black lettering as well!
    Haha - they're probably saving that for next week!

Arjay is offline Moderator / EX MS MVP Power Poster

I'm more interested in the content it returns rather than the styling flavor of the week. As long as the content is good, I don't care about anything else.