CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com

Cool Very Annoying Ad

This ad :

Name:  Ad.jpg
Views: 1514
Size:  23.3 KB

On the top right of the screen in my Control Panel is extremely annoying. I suppose it due to the fact that my eyes are sore enough by being on the PC almost 24 / 7 lately, and the flickering of the ad is a bit strenuous on my eyes.

Is it only me not liking this ad?

Re: Very Annoying Ad

I haven't seen it. Often times the ads are "regional".... aka are different depending on where you live.

Then again, there's not much can or will be done about them unless they pop up and take over the site... or have loud audio embedded.

What is R 1,500,000 worth in US dollars?

If an ad is completely inappropriate, you can still report it and I can have someone look into it. If the ad has "ad choice" on the corner of it, then it is likely regionalized and possibly even related to something you've done on the site. The ads marked that way are not necessarily ads we've set up. I can, however, request for some to be blocked if they are completely inappropriate.

I'm seeing a Chicago hotel ad right now. While off base, I don't see it as bad. The ad you were seeing looks very 'spammish'. As such, it has my attention. Do you know what company or service it was offering? Was it related to something you had recently been doing on the internet?
    -----------------------------------------------
    Brad! Jones,
    Yowza Publishing
    LotsOfSoftware, LLC

When trying to open any forum attachment IE10 thinks that CG forums are malicious...
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Debugging is twice as hard as writing the code in the first place.
    Therefore, if you write the code as cleverly as possible, you are, by
    definition, not smart enough to debug it.
    - Brian W. Kernighan

To enhance your chance's of getting an answer be sure to read
    http://www.codeguru.com/forum/announ...nouncementid=6
    and http://www.codeguru.com/forum/showthread.php?t=366302 before posting

Refresh your memory on formatting tags here
    http://www.codeguru.com/forum/misc.php?do=bbcode

Get your free MS compiler here
    https://visualstudio.microsoft.com/vs

If anyone else gets the malicious warning, can you let me know. I'd like to see if a second person has gotten this. That way I can call it an unfounded trend!

Thanks!
    Brad! Jones,
    Yowza Publishing
    LotsOfSoftware, LLC

Quote Originally Posted by Brad Jones View Post
    What is R 1,500,000 worth in US dollars?

If an ad is completely inappropriate, you can still report it and I can have someone look into it. If the ad has "ad choice" on the corner of it, then it is likely regionalized and possibly even related to something you've done on the site. The ads marked that way are not necessarily ads we've set up. I can, however, request for some to be blocked if they are completely inappropriate.

I'm seeing a Chicago hotel ad right now. While off base, I don't see it as bad. The ad you were seeing looks very 'spammish'. As such, it has my attention. Do you know what company or service it was offering? Was it related to something you had recently been doing on the internet?
    That is about $155,000

I have been getting this type of ad with some facebook games as well. cannot recall if I have seen this anywhere else

The ad I complained about in post #1 is back.

It links to :

http://www.35050.co.za/za_35050_gold...w=&VID=6032817

Can something be done? Can any other South Africans confirm this ad?

Is there an 'ad choice' label in the upper corner of the ad?
    Brad! Jones,
    Yowza Publishing
    LotsOfSoftware, LLC

Yes. I assume there would be as the current ad has that choice. Can I disable it there when I see that ad again?

2kaud is offline Super Moderator Power Poster

Can I disable it there when I see that ad again?
    Not really. The 'ad choice' doesn't let you stop seeing ads and doesn't disable a particular ad. What it will let you do is to opt out of receiving 'interest based' ads. You will still see ads but they will no longer be based upon factors such as your interests, age, gender etc.
    All advice is offered in good faith only. All my code is tested (unless stated explicitly otherwise) with the latest version of Microsoft Visual Studio (using the supported features of the latest standard) and is offered as examples only - not as production quality. I cannot offer advice regarding any other c/c++ compiler/IDE or incompatibilities with VS. You are ultimately responsible for the effects of your programs and the integrity of the machines they run on. Anything I post, code snippets, advice, etc is licensed as Public Domain https://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/zero/1.0/ and can be used without reference or acknowledgement. Also note that I only provide advice and guidance via the forums - and not via private messages!

C++23 Compiler: Microsoft VS2022 (17.6.5)