Segmantion fault with a get method without using pointers
CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com

Thread: Segmantion fault with a get method without using pointers

Question Segmantion fault with a get method without using pointers

Hello guys, i've tried to create a method to return a rectangle struct, the class already has a object of this structure, but when i try return the variable(not a pointer), i receive a SIGSEGV and i dont know why, i dont acces invalid memory addresses:

Code:
    Retangulo Crature::GetRect()
    {
        return rect;
    }
    using the method:
    Code:
    if(colision(player->GetRect(), this->rect)){
    the pointer for the player is passed to the class through a method, but i'm sure(testing with the debugger) the player is working and his memory address is valid.

thanks for the help

Re: Segmantion fault with a get method without using pointers

Quote Originally Posted by Shoxsz View Post
    i dont acces invalid memory addresses:
    Then why are you getting an error? Are you saying there is something wrong with the computer or OS, and not your program logic?
    [CODE]
    using the method:
    Code:
    if(colision(player->GetRect(), this->rect)){
    the pointer for the player is passed to the class through a method, but i'm sure(testing with the debugger) the player is working and his memory address is valid.
    There is no standard way to test if a pointer is valid or not, unless the pointer is NULL where you know the pointer is invalid.

A pointer value could look OK, and still be pointing to invalid or memory that used to point to valid data. Unless your OS or compiler library has functions that test for pointer validity, or if the pointer is NULL, or your compiler implementation states exactly what pointer values are designated as invalid, there is no way for you to determine if a pointer is valid or not.

Also, we don't know when, where, how, or what state your program is in when that line you posted is executed. So posting a single line of code from an entire program provides no help whatsoever. You have a runtime error, and the only way for us to tell you what's wrong is to run your program and debug.

Regards,

Paul McKenzie
    Last edited by Paul McKenzie; August 12th, 2013 at 12:27 PM.

GCDEF is offline Elite Member Power Poster

Re: Segmantion fault with a get method without using pointers

You're dereferencing two pointers. Don't overlook the possibility that your this pointer is bad too.