CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com

Hybrid View

developing a accounting software!

hey guys!
    i was just planning to create an accounting software using vb,
    the software has basic functionality such as adding the total sales, adding new clients, adding additional services to the existing clients and finally add a service tax to the total .

and i would like to create an invoice that i can print.

if you have made something similar please give some suggestions and a few pointers that i must keep in mind.

Re: developing a accounting software!

I've written programs in the past using VB6, and printing has usually been a problematic. I've used RTF templates that I open in the program, and replace field identifiers [1], [2] with variables, and then format them. You can then print after seeing the 1/2 size copy on the screen. It took about a year to finish, and has over 3K lines of code. Sold a few also.
    David

CodeGuru Article: Bound Controls are Evil-VB6
    2013 Samples: MS CODE Samples

CodeGuru Reviewer
    2006 Dell CSP
    2006, 2007 & 2008 MVP Visual Basic
    If your question has been answered satisfactorily, and it has been helpful, then, please, Rate this Post!

Not sure why you would have ran into problems printing from VB6? It is fairly easy and straight forward. VB.Net is a bit of a pain for printing but VB6 is cake.

The simplest way to print an invoice is probably to use a report but using the Printer object is also an option. I have did this both ways on several occasions never had any problem with it.
    Always use [code][/code] tags when posting code.

well thanks for the reply!
    i have just started this project, lets see how much time this takes.

Keep in mind that if you are actually trying to do an accounting system then you have to keep track of all debits and credits. You will need to handle Vendors and employees as well as customers, bank account(s), possibly check writing, deposits, taxes and maybe payroll.

What you describe in the OP does not really sound like an accounting package

I did a project for a friend who runs a HVAC warehouse a few years back. I wrote everything from scratch for managing pricing and inventory, purchase order, reorder reports, invoicing, exporting billing data to external 3rd party program. I worked on it in my spare time and took me about 2-3 months to complete it and go live. The program is basically an inventory management and counter sales piece. It has of course the ability to track all items in inventory, generate reports for reorders where stock is low, transaction history reports to show which items are selling a lot and which are not. Purchase order generation, receiving against purchase orders. Counter sales and invoicing, quotes, stock checks and various reports. At the end of the day the data gets exported to a separate accounting package which handles customer balances, payroll, taxes and creates the monthly statements which get mailed out to the customers. My program creates the invoices that are given at the time of sale with or without pricing as needed as well as price quotes.

There is a lot to it and the printing took a couple of days to get just right but the program uses pre-printed multipart forms and is coded in such a way that the form layout can be modified within the program should the form ever change.

It sounds more to a little Point Of Sale program
    JG

... If your problem is fixed don't forget to mark your threads as resolved using the Thread Tools menu ...

Smile Re: developing a accounting software!

Hi edwardschlacter11, this thread is more than a year, but if you are still trying to complete your billing system, I may share with you a site (www.accountingdes.com) that has a free trial version for the billing system for you to test it out. The program was written in vb6, with some basic invoice printing features.

Good Luck

If you have not yet succeeded, this post may help with an invoice: http://vbcity.com/blogs/mikenewman/a...s-2008-v2.aspx.

I used VB2008 but it should work with any version of VB.net from 2005. This was an update on a previous version which can be viewed from the link given above.

Hmmm. You may consider moving to vb.net to take advantage of modern fixed point data types.
    ahoodin
    To keep the plot moving, that's why.