CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com

[RESOLVED] invalid parameter?

i'm using these code for get and set the caret positions:
    Code:
    CONSOLE_SCREEN_BUFFER_INFOEX bufferInfo;
    		GetConsoleScreenBufferInfoEx(GetStdHandle(STD_OUTPUT_HANDLE),&bufferInfo);
    with GetLastError(), i recive the "ERROR_INVALID_PARAMETER"...why????
    i belive that the handle is correct and the 2nd parameter is correctly used. so what is the problem?
    the SetConsoleScreenBufferInfoEx() funtion gives me the same error
    (yesterday i learned very... now i can detect the errors hehehe)

2kaud is offline Super Moderator Power Poster

Re: invalid parameter?

Has the GetConsoleScreenBufferInfoEx failed? You are not testing its return value to find out. In general GetLastError() only returns a valid value when a function fails. Unless the documentation for a specific function says otherwise, the result of GetLastError() is not valid if a function succeeds!
    All advice is offered in good faith only. All my code is tested (unless stated explicitly otherwise) with the latest version of Microsoft Visual Studio (using the supported features of the latest standard) and is offered as examples only - not as production quality. I cannot offer advice regarding any other c/c++ compiler/IDE or incompatibilities with VS. You are ultimately responsible for the effects of your programs and the integrity of the machines they run on. Anything I post, code snippets, advice, etc is licensed as Public Domain https://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/zero/1.0/ and can be used without reference or acknowledgement. Also note that I only provide advice and guidance via the forums - and not via private messages!

C++23 Compiler: Microsoft VS2022 (17.6.5)

Quote Originally Posted by 2kaud View Post
    Has the GetConsoleScreenBufferInfoEx failed? You are not testing its return value to find out. In general GetLastError() only returns a valid value when a function fails. Unless the documentation for a specific function says otherwise, the result of GetLastError() is not valid if a function succeeds!
    i recive the 87 number in both:

Code:
    POINT GetCaretPosition()
    	{
    		POINT s;
    		GetCaretPos(&s);
    		return s; 
    	}

void SetCaretPosition(POINT s)
    	{	

GetConsoleScreenBufferInfoEx(GetStdHandle(STD_OUTPUT_HANDLE),&bufferInfo);
    		cout << GetLastError();
    		bufferInfo.dwCursorPosition.X=s.x;
    		bufferInfo.dwCursorPosition.Y=s.y; 

SetConsoleScreenBufferInfoEx( GetStdHandle(STD_OUTPUT_HANDLE),&bufferInfo);
    		 cout << GetLastError();		 
    	}
    	__declspec ( property ( put = SetCaretPosition, get = GetCaretPosition ) ) POINT CaretPosition ;
    and heres how i use it:
    Code:
    #include "stdafx.h"
    #include "Console.h"
    #include "Thread.h"

int _tmain(int argc, _TCHAR* argv[])
    {

Console a;
    	POINT b;
    	b.x =10;
    	b.y=20;
    	a.CaretPosition= b;
    	a.Write("hello"); 
        a.Read();	
        return 0;
    }
    and 2 warnings:
    1 - "warning C4244: '=' : conversion from 'LONG' to 'SHORT', possible loss of data";
    2 -"warning C4244: '=' : conversion from 'LONG' to 'SHORT', possible loss of data";

in these 2 lines:
    Code:
    bufferInfo.dwCursorPosition.X=s.x;
    		bufferInfo.dwCursorPosition.Y=s.y;

As I said in post #2, you are not checking the return value of the function. You need to code it something like this

Code:

if (!GetConsoleScreenBufferInfoEx(GetStdHandle(STD_OUTPUT_HANDLE), &bufferInfo)) {
    	    cout << "Error in GetConsoleScreenBufferInfoEx: " << GetLastError() << endl;
            }
    1 - "warning C4244: '=' : conversion from 'LONG' to 'SHORT', possible loss of data";
    2 -"warning C4244: '=' : conversion from 'LONG' to 'SHORT', possible loss of data";
    The x and y elements of POINT structure are defined as type long.
    The dwCursorPosition element of CONSOLE_SCREEN_BUFFER_INFOEX is defined as type COORD in which the X and Y elements are defined as type SHORT. Hence the compiler warning about conversion from long to short.
    All advice is offered in good faith only. All my code is tested (unless stated explicitly otherwise) with the latest version of Microsoft Visual Studio (using the supported features of the latest standard) and is offered as examples only - not as production quality. I cannot offer advice regarding any other c/c++ compiler/IDE or incompatibilities with VS. You are ultimately responsible for the effects of your programs and the integrity of the machines they run on. Anything I post, code snippets, advice, etc is licensed as Public Domain https://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/zero/1.0/ and can be used without reference or acknowledgement. Also note that I only provide advice and guidance via the forums - and not via private messages!

As I said in post #2, you are not checking the return value of the function. You need to code it something like this

Code:

if (!GetConsoleScreenBufferInfoEx(GetStdHandle(STD_OUTPUT_HANDLE), &bufferInfo)) {
    	    cout << "Error in GetConsoleScreenBufferInfoEx: " << GetLastError() << endl;
            }

The x and y elements of POINT structure are defined as type long.
    The dwCursorPosition element of CONSOLE_SCREEN_BUFFER_INFOEX is defined as type COORD in which the X and Y elements are defined as type SHORT. Hence the compiler warning about conversion from long to short.
    i did now these and show me the same 87 number

VictorN is offline Super Moderator Power Poster

Quote Originally Posted by Cambalinho View Post
    i did now these and show me the same 87 number
    1. Did you check if the GetStdHandle returned the valid handle?
    2. Did you set the cbSize member of CONSOLE_SCREEN_BUFFER_INFOEX structure?
    Victor Nijegorodov

You must read and understand the documentation for the functions you use!

Code:
    CONSOLE_SCREEN_BUFFER_INFOEX bufferInfo = {sizeof(CONSOLE_SCREEN_BUFFER_INFOEX)};
    Last edited by 2kaud; August 20th, 2013 at 03:21 PM.

You must read and understand the documentation for the functions you use!

Code:
    CONSOLE_SCREEN_BUFFER_INFOEX bufferInfo = {sizeof(CONSOLE_SCREEN_BUFFER_INFOEX)};
    Code:
    		bufferInfo.cbSize=sizeof( CONSOLE_SCREEN_BUFFER_INFOEX);
    		GetConsoleScreenBufferInfoEx(GetStdHandle(STD_OUTPUT_HANDLE), &bufferInfo);
    		cout << GetLastError();
    		bufferInfo.dwCursorPosition.X   =Position.x ;
    		bufferInfo.dwCursorPosition.Y   =Position.y ;
    		SetConsoleScreenBufferInfoEx( GetStdHandle(STD_OUTPUT_HANDLE),&bufferInfo);
    		 cout << GetLastError();
    and how i use:

Code:
    Console a;
    	POINT b;
    	b.x =10;
    	b.y=20;
    	a.CaretPosition= b;
    	a.Write("hello"); 
        a.Read();	
        return 0;
    i see 2 problems:
    1 - the caret position isn't changed;
    2 - why the window buffer size is changed?

To set the cursor position use something like

Code:
    DWORD SetCursorPosition(HANDLE sout, COORD pos)
    {
    	return (!SetConsoleCursorPosition(sout, pos) ? GetLastError() : 0);
    }

To set the cursor position use something like

Code:
    DWORD SetCursorPosition(HANDLE sout, COORD pos)
    {
        return (!SetConsoleCursorPosition(sout, pos) ? GetLastError() : 0);
    }
    thank you very much my friend.. thank you all