CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

how use WriteConsoleOutputAttribute() function?

i'm trying use the WriteConsoleOutputAttribute() function for create the blink effect, but seems not working
    seems that i'm confuse the the parameters types
    Code:
    void BlinkText(char *Text, COORD TextPos, int BackColor, int Forecolor)	{		
    		WriteConsoleOutputAttribute(GetStdHandle(STD_OUTPUT_HANDLE),Forecolor|BackColor<<4,strlen(Text),TextPos,Text);
    	}
    can anyone advice me?

2kaud is offline Super Moderator Power Poster

Re: how use WriteConsoleOutputAttribute() function?

Look at the definition and use of WriteConsoleOutputAttribute on MSDN

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/libr...=vs.85%29.aspx

You will see that param 2 is a pointer to an array of WORD of attributes to be used and that the last param is a pointer to a DWORD that returns the number of attributes actually written.
    All advice is offered in good faith only. All my code is tested (unless stated explicitly otherwise) with the latest version of Microsoft Visual Studio (using the supported features of the latest standard) and is offered as examples only - not as production quality. I cannot offer advice regarding any other c/c++ compiler/IDE or incompatibilities with VS. You are ultimately responsible for the effects of your programs and the integrity of the machines they run on. Anything I post, code snippets, advice, etc is licensed as Public Domain https://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/zero/1.0/ and can be used without reference or acknowledgement. Also note that I only provide advice and guidance via the forums - and not via private messages!

C++23 Compiler: Microsoft VS2022 (17.6.5)

Quote Originally Posted by 2kaud View Post
    Look at the definition and use of WriteConsoleOutputAttribute on MSDN

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/libr...=vs.85%29.aspx

You will see that param 2 is a pointer to an array of WORD of attributes to be used and that the last param is a pointer to a DWORD that returns the number of attributes actually written.
    now i'm more confused
    if the 2nd is a pointer, how can i change the colors?
    and i think that the last parameter is '1'.
    but where is puted the text?
    i'm very confused.. sorry

VictorN is offline Super Moderator Power Poster

Quote Originally Posted by Cambalinho View Post
    now i'm more confused
    if the 2nd is a pointer, how can i change the colors?
    You define a WORD variable, set the desired character attributes to it, and then pass in the pointer of this variable to the WriteConsoleOutputAttribute:
    Code:
    WORD attr = Forecolor|BackColor<<4;
    WriteConsoleOutputAttribute(GetStdHandle(STD_OUTPUT_HANDLE), &attr, ...);
    and i think that the last parameter is '1'.
    No, it is (from MSDN)
    A pointer to a variable that receives the number of attributes actually written to the console screen buffer.
    but where is puted the text?
    What text?
    This function is used to set attributes to consecutive cells of a console screen buffer, not the characters!
    Victor Nijegorodov

Quote Originally Posted by VictorN View Post
    You define a WORD variable, set the desired character attributes to it, and then pass in the pointer of this variable to the WriteConsoleOutputAttribute:
    Code:
    WriteConsoleOutputAttribute(GetStdHandle(STD_OUTPUT_HANDLE), &attr, ...);
    No, it is (from MSDN)

What text?
    This function is used to set attributes to consecutive cells of a console screen buffer, not the characters!
    sorry i'm trying but i don't understand the last parameter

Code:
    DWORD NumberOfAttrsWritten;
    WriteConsoleOutputAttribute(GetStdHandle(STD_OUTPUT_HANDLE), &attr, ..., ..., &NumberOfAttrsWritten);
    Victor Nijegorodov

ok.. no errors but i don't know how test it
    see these code:
    Code:
    void BlinkText(string Text, COORD TextPos, int BackColor, int Forecolor)
    	{		
    		DWORD cWritten;
    		WriteConsoleOutputAttribute(GetStdHandle(STD_OUTPUT_HANDLE),&attr,sizeof(attr),TextPos,&cWritten);		
    	}
    and how i use it:
    Code:
    int _tmain(int argc, _TCHAR* argv[])
    {

Console a;
    	COORD b;
    	b.X=1; 
    	b.Y=1;
    	a.BlinkText("Hello world",b,RED, BLUE); 
    	a.Write("hello");
        a.Read(); 
        return 0;
    }
    i see 2 diferent rectangules but i don see how can i blink

i see 2 diferent rectangules but i don see how can i blink
    2kaud already suggested you a way to achieve it. In some of your other threads.
    Victor Nijegorodov

Code:
    	{		
    		DWORD cWritten;
    		WriteConsoleOutputAttribute(GetStdHandle(STD_OUTPUT_HANDLE),&attr,sizeof(attr),TextPos,&cWritten);		
    	}
    No! attr has 1 attribute so the third parameter should be 1 not sizeof(attr)! But this isn't going to blink your text. As Victor says in post #8, I've already suggested a way for you to achieve this.

There is no default mechanism to blink a character on screen. if you want this, it can be done by first reversing (exchanging) foreground and background attributes (COMMON_LVB_REVERSE_VIDEO) then setting a timer for the required blink period then reversing foreground and background attributes when timer triggers.
    All advice is offered in good faith only. All my code is tested (unless stated explicitly otherwise) with the latest version of Microsoft Visual Studio (using the supported features of the latest standard) and is offered as examples only - not as production quality. I cannot offer advice regarding any other c/c++ compiler/IDE or incompatibilities with VS. You are ultimately responsible for the effects of your programs and the integrity of the machines they run on. Anything I post, code snippets, advice, etc is licensed as Public Domain https://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/zero/1.0/ and can be used without reference or acknowledgement. Also note that I only provide advice and guidance via the forums - and not via private messages!

Code:
    	{		
    		DWORD cWritten;
    	}
    No! attr has 1 attribute so the third parameter should be 1 not sizeof(attr)! But this isn't going to blink your text. As Victor says in post #8, I've already suggested a way for you to achieve this.
    when i will understand what you mean
    heres the code:
    Code:
    void SetColorAndBackground(int ForgC, int BackC=0)
    	{		
    		for (;;)
    		{
    			SetConsoleTextAttribute(GetStdHandle(STD_OUTPUT_HANDLE), ForgC|BackC<<4 );	
    			Sleep(1000);
    			cout << "oi";
    			SetConsoleTextAttribute(GetStdHandle(STD_OUTPUT_HANDLE),COMMON_LVB_REVERSE_VIDEO );	
    			Sleep(1000);
    		}

}
    but how i don't lose the caret position?

Try this. This will output oi at position 0,0 on the console and blink it. Note that this is not really the way to do it as the sleeps make the program unresponsive. This should be done using a timer.

Code:
    {		
    COORD	pos = {0,0};

SetConsoleCursorPosition(GetStdHandle(STD_OUTPUT_HANDLE), pos);

for (;;) {
    		SetConsoleTextAttribute(GetStdHandle(STD_OUTPUT_HANDLE), ForgC|(BackC<<4) );	
    		cout << "oi";
    		Sleep(1000);
    		SetConsoleTextAttribute(GetStdHandle(STD_OUTPUT_HANDLE), BackC|(ForgC<<4) );	
    		cout << "oi";
    		Sleep(1000);
    	}
    }
    You have to write the text twice, once with one set of attributes and then again with the second set of attributes. Just changing the attribute doesn't change text that is already on the screen. Once attribute is changed, only text subsequently written gets written with the new attribute.

Try this. This will output oi at position 0,0 on the console and blink it. Note that this is not really the way to do it as the sleeps make the program unresponsive. This should be done using a timer.

Code:
    {        
    COORD    pos = {0,0};

for (;;) {
            SetConsoleTextAttribute(GetStdHandle(STD_OUTPUT_HANDLE), ForgC|(BackC<<4) );    
            cout << "oi";
            Sleep(1000);
            SetConsoleTextAttribute(GetStdHandle(STD_OUTPUT_HANDLE), BackC|(ForgC<<4) );    
            cout << "oi";
            Sleep(1000);
        }
    }
    You have to write the text twice, once with one set of attributes and then again with the second set of attributes. Just changing the attribute doesn't change text that is already on the screen. Once attribute is changed, only text subsequently written gets written with the new attribute.
    thanks. i have another question for close: is possible save the actual position?
    see these sample

Code:
    here blinks

but you are here
    can i do these?

To set the cursor position and get the current cursor position, try these

Code:
    //Get cursor position
    DWORD GetCursorPosition(COORD& pos)
    {
    CONSOLE_SCREEN_BUFFER_INFO	sinfo;

if (!GetConsoleScreenBufferInfo(GetStdHandle(STD_OUTPUT_HANDLE), &sinfo)) {
    		return (GetLastError());
    	}

pos.X = sinfo.dwCursorPosition.X;
    	pos.Y = sinfo.dwCursorPosition.Y;

return (0);
    }

//Set cursor position
    DWORD SetCursorPosition(COORD pos)
    {
    	return (!SetConsoleCursorPosition(GetStdHandle(STD_OUTPUT_HANDLE), pos) ? GetLastError() : 0);
    }

To set the cursor position and get the current cursor position, try these

Code:
    //Get cursor position
    DWORD GetCursorPosition(COORD& pos)
    {
    CONSOLE_SCREEN_BUFFER_INFO	sinfo;

if (!GetConsoleScreenBufferInfo(GetStdHandle(STD_OUTPUT_HANDLE), &sinfo)) {
    		return (GetLastError());
    	}

pos.X = sinfo.dwCursorPosition.X;
    	pos.Y = sinfo.dwCursorPosition.Y;

return (0);
    }

//Set cursor position
    DWORD SetCursorPosition(COORD pos)
    {
    	return (!SetConsoleCursorPosition(GetStdHandle(STD_OUTPUT_HANDLE), pos) ? GetLastError() : 0);
    }
    thanks for all. tomorrow i will share the code... i'm C++ tired lol
    thanks for all

A couple of thoughts for you to think about - now that you're refreshed.

1) As Victor mentioned in a previous post, you are not checking for an error using GetStdHandle. You are assuming that a console is present and that you can get its handle. What happens if no console is present? Why not obtain the handle once in the class constructor and if not valid allocate a console? Something like this

Code:
    //in private
    HANDLE hout;

//In constructor
    if ((hout = GetStdhandle(STD_OUTPUT_HANDLE)) == INVALID_HANDLE_VALUE) {
         FreeConsole();
         if (!AllocConsole()) {
              MessageBox(0, "Cannot allocate console", "Console class", MB_OK | MV_ICONSTOP);
         } else {
             if ((hout = GetStdhandle(STD_OUTPUT_HANDLE)) == INVALID_HANDLE_VALUE) {
                 MessageBox(0, "Cannot obtain console handle", "Console class", MB_OK | MV_ICONSTOP);
             }
         }
    }
    2) What if 2 or more instances of your console class are created? IMO at present with your class design they would independently perform their functions on the same console window. So you might have one class instance writing data and another instance clearing the console or trying to write different data to the same locations etc etc? Have you thought about having a differen console window for each instance - or do you want each class instance to share the same console?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast