Thread: portable code

portable code

these line isn't portable with Dev C++:
    Code:
    __declspec ( property ( put = SetText, get = GetText ) ) string Text ;
    can you tell me how cai fix it?

2kaud is offline Super Moderator Power Poster

Re: portable code

Not use property! As Paul already explained in another thread, this is not standard c++ (any version). If you want to use Dev c++ then you need to start using SetText(), GetText() etc in your code like the rest of us do!
    Last edited by 2kaud; August 23rd, 2013 at 01:25 PM.
    All advice is offered in good faith only. All my code is tested (unless stated explicitly otherwise) with the latest version of Microsoft Visual Studio (using the supported features of the latest standard) and is offered as examples only - not as production quality. I cannot offer advice regarding any other c/c++ compiler/IDE or incompatibilities with VS. You are ultimately responsible for the effects of your programs and the integrity of the machines they run on. Anything I post, code snippets, advice, etc is licensed as Public Domain https://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/zero/1.0/ and can be used without reference or acknowledgement. Also note that I only provide advice and guidance via the forums - and not via private messages!

C++23 Compiler: Microsoft VS2022 (17.6.5)

Quote Originally Posted by Cambalinho View Post
    these line isn't portable with Dev C++:
    Code:
    __declspec ( property ( put = SetText, get = GetText ) ) string Text ;
    can you tell me how cai fix it?
    Learn C++ from C++ language books and resources, and not Windows OS books, websites or tutorials.

If you did that, then there is no way you would have produced that line of code. I have been using C++ for over 20 years, and I have never seen any code like that.

Regards,

Paul McKenzie

Quote Originally Posted by Paul McKenzie View Post
    Learn C++ from C++ language books and resources, and not Windows OS books, websites or tutorials.

If you did that, then there is no way you would have produced that line of code. I have been using C++ for over 20 years, and I have never seen any code like that.

Regards,

Paul McKenzie
    that line is from Visual Studio 2010. so that's impossible do a 'real' property in c++, right?

VictorN is offline Super Moderator Power Poster

that line is from Visual Studio 2010. so that's impossible do a 'real' property in c++, right?
    Where exactly is it from? Could you post a link to MSDN?
    Victor Nijegorodov

Quote Originally Posted by VictorN View Post
    Where exactly is it from? Could you post a link to MSDN?
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/yhfk0thd.aspx

Code:
    :__declspec ( property ( put = SetText, get = GetText ) ) string Text ;
    As the MSDN link says, this is Microsoft Specific and is NOT standard c++. I try to avoid non-standard, vendor specific c++ 'features' as much as possible.
    All advice is offered in good faith only. All my code is tested (unless stated explicitly otherwise) with the latest version of Microsoft Visual Studio (using the supported features of the latest standard) and is offered as examples only - not as production quality. I cannot offer advice regarding any other c/c++ compiler/IDE or incompatibilities with VS. You are ultimately responsible for the effects of your programs and the integrity of the machines they run on. Anything I post, code snippets, advice, etc is licensed as Public Domain https://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/zero/1.0/ and can be used without reference or acknowledgement. Also note that I only provide advice and guidance via the forums - and not via private messages!

Quote Originally Posted by 2kaud View Post
    Code:
    :__declspec ( property ( put = SetText, get = GetText ) ) string Text ;
    As the MSDN link says, this is Microsoft Specific and is NOT standard c++. I try to avoid non-standard, vendor specific c++ 'features' as much as possible.
    understand, but ask me just these: if i use that line in Dev C++, the only error that i have seen is that don't recognize "put" and "get". thinking on these: these problem can be 'fixed'?

As 2kaud stated, the link says "Microsoft specific".

Again, if you had learned C++ in a more formal way, then there is absolutely no way you could have produced that line of code. If you're using Visual C++, then first and foremost, learn C++. Then apply the Windows API functions, structs and data types to your code. Even though functions, structs and data types aren't portable in the strict sense, they can be easily simulated by macros and dummy functions.

However do not try different syntax that states "Microsoft specific" -- that will always fail to be portable, and no amount of restructuring will get it to work.

Regards,

Paul McKenzie

understand, but ask me just these: if i use that line in Dev C++, the only error that i have seen is that don't recognize "put" and "get". thinking on these: these problem can be 'fixed'?
    Do you understand how compilers work? Just because the compiler sees the word "put" and "get" means nothing.

You have one line of code. The compiler must understand in total what that entire line is supposed to mean. It isn't just about seeing certain words. For example:
    Code:
    x I am a good boy;
    y I am a bad boy;
    So if the compiler says something about "x" and "y", does it mean it knows that I have posted something valid, instead of nonsense?

Regards,

Paul McKenzie

Quote Originally Posted by Paul McKenzie View Post
    Do you understand how compilers work? Just because the compiler sees the word "put" and "get" means nothing.

You have one line of code. The compiler must understand in total what that entire line is supposed to mean. It isn't just about seeing certain words. For example:
    Code:
    x I am a good boy;
    y I am a bad boy;
    So if the compiler says something about "x" and "y", does it mean it knows that I have posted something valid, instead of nonsense?

Regards,

Paul McKenzie
    you have right
    you are a good boy
    thanks for all

why i can't use some console functions in Dev C++?
    the error is like they aren't declared. can you advice me?

the error is like they aren't declared. can you advice me?
    Probably because Devc++ hasn't been updated since 2005 and so doesn't have the current Micorosft SDK! I wouldn't recommend using it. See
    http://clicktobegin.net/programming/...dnt-use-dev-c/
    Last edited by 2kaud; August 23rd, 2013 at 01:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 2kaud View Post
    Probably because Devc++ hasn't been updated since 2005 and so doesn't have the current Micorosft SDK! I wouldn't recommend using it. See
    http://clicktobegin.net/programming/...dnt-use-dev-c/
    after some time and more help, i did it heheheh
    (and i share)

Code:
    #ifdef __cplusplusextern "C" {
    #endif
    //seems that here you can declare all functions you need hehehe
    BOOL WINAPI GetCurrentConsoleFont(HANDLE hConsoleOutput,BOOL bMaximumWindow,PCONSOLE_FONT_INFO lpConsoleCurrentFont);
    COORD WINAPI GetConsoleFontSize(HANDLE hConsoleOutput,DWORD nFont);
    HWND WINAPI GetConsoleWindow();
    #ifdef __cplusplus
    }
    #endif
    my dev C++ verison is 5.4.1(2013).
    thanks for all

First remember that Dev-C++ is not the compiler. The compiler is gcc.

Second, in C++ you won't be able to use any functions if the functions are not declared. You can't compile any C++ module if you call a function that isn't previously declared, or if not declared, the entire function body exists before the call. Those are the rules of C++.

If you want proof, try to compile this simple program:
    Code:
    int main()
    {
        double x = sqrt(4.0);
    }
    This will also not compile, since sqrt() isn't declared.

Regards,

Paul McKenzie

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast