CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com

Group by “original order” causes looping in CR

I have a report grouped by Themes-S >> Questions-S there are 8 themes and each theme has a between 17 and 5 questions in it.

The report has 16 pages.

I need to change the ordering from specific to original when I do I end up with 288 pages

Something is looping? I can not figure out how to fix this (using CR 11)

Thanks

Re: Group by “original order” causes looping in CR

If you change order from specific to original you are 'saying' to CR that your data is already ordered by themes and questions

IMO you should keep ordering = specific
    This way CR will order your data accordingly to your groups and sorted fields
    JG

... If your problem is fixed don't forget to mark your threads as resolved using the Thread Tools menu ...

jggtz, thanks for the response.

The reason I want to change to "Original" order is that if a question changes in the data source (i.e question is added or deleted or edited) I will have to re-do the "specific" ordering for the "Question" group which is a long and tedious process, is there a way around this?

Thanks

Please explain more about :
    if a question changes in the data source (i.e question is added or deleted or edited) I will have to re-do the "specific" ordering for the question which is a long and tedious process
    ...also post the design of your data (tables, fields and relationships)
    ...or is it a single table?
    ...do you re.do the ordering manually?
    JG

... If your problem is fixed don't forget to mark your threads as resolved using the Thread Tools menu ...

Data table is a Excel file, which is a download of a LimeSurvey Survey, if a question is added, deleted, or edited in LimeSurvey then the the data being imported into CR has been altered-a question has been changed so that for the "Question" group ordering = specific is no longer valid and will need to be updated with the deleted, added or edited question.

The order that comes out of LimeSurvey is the order I want in the report this order is in the excel file, "Theme" has specific order and "Question" group is already grouped with respect to Theme and has a specific order.

Thanks

It would be helpful if you post a snapshot of the excel's worksheet
    or even better, attach the excel file

Anyway..
    Have you tried removing the groups in CR ?
    If the data is already ordered then is no a good idea to Group By in CR

If you want to group & order the data in CR it is necesary that the data has 2 more columns, one for the Theme and one for the Question
    Example
    Code:
    Theme   Question
    1           1
    1           2
    1           3
    2           1
    2           2
    3           1
    3           2
    ...and so on
    JG