CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com

Cross Platform GUI Development

Hello there,

I am planning to develop a GUI that will run on Windows, Linux, Android & iOS. If am right, VC++ apps don't work on Linux, Android & iOS. Is that correct?

Is there an alternative to that?

Which other tool works for GUI development on above mentioned 4 platforms?

Please advise.

Thanks in advance.

Re: Cross Platform GUI Development

Good luck with the above...

You could probably make something that will run on Windows and Linux (both desktop based)
    and make something else that will work on andriod and ios (both mobile based).

getting something that runs decently on all 4... I'm not seeing that happen.

Mobile apps have a vastly different approach to GUI and even system capabilities (let alone forms of deployment) than your typical desktop app.

Re: Cross Platform GUI Development

There's the KDE Necessitas project, which is a port of the popular Qt framework, that is known for allowing cross-platform development for desktops, to the mobile patforms. It's still in alpha state, though.

And there is Mono, a non-MS implementation of .NET, which is available for the mobile platforms and, AFAIK, Linux.

Either way, cross-platform development for both desktop and mobile platforms certainly is non-trivial. You'll hardly be able to use the exact same GUI design on both. And, particularly regarding Mono, I'm uncerain about its degree of cross-platform design tool integration.
    Last edited by Eri523; August 29th, 2013 at 06:59 AM.
    I was thrown out of college for cheating on the metaphysics exam; I looked into the soul of the boy sitting next to me.

This is a snakeskin jacket! And for me it's a symbol of my individuality, and my belief... in personal freedom.