CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com

History Of Debugging...

66 years ago, on the 9th September, 1947, operators of the Mark II Aiken Relay Computer being tested at Harvard University, found something curious trapped between points at Relay #70, Panel F. A note made at the time explains, this was the “first actual case of bug being found”.

History records that the legendary Grace Hopper was the person who located the moth, and in so doing, helped popularise the idea of “debugging computers”.

Name:  1239807_503360656425012_982198399_n.jpg
Views: 3453
Size:  62.5 KB

If only debugging was this simple nowadays!

Original Post..
    Articles VB6 : Break the 2G limit - Animation 1, 2 VB.NET : 2005/8 : Moving Images , Animation 1 , 2 , 3 , User Controls
    WPF Articles : 3D Animation 1 , 2 , 3
    Code snips: VB6 Hex Edit, IP Chat, Copy Prot., Crop, Zoom : .NET IP Chat (V4), Adv. ContextMenus, click Hotspot, Scroll Controls
    Find me in ASP.NET., VB6., VB.NET , Writing Articles, My Genealogy, Forum
    All VS.NET: posts refer to VS.NET 2008 (Pro) unless otherwise stated.

Thumbs up Re: History Of Debugging...

I did know of that anecdotal origin of that usage of the word "bug" with relation to computers, but I have never seen the original bug!

However, the fact that the person who discovered the original bug was named Grace Hopper suspiciously sounded like an april fool to me. But I looked up that name and obviously it's absolutely authentic. Setting up such an elaborate Wikipedia article just for a hoax would most certainly have been way too much effort. OTOH, if I'd have seen something like that in a fictional movie, I'd have sworn that something like that would never ever happen in real life...
    Last edited by Eri523; September 13th, 2013 at 07:21 AM.
    I was thrown out of college for cheating on the metaphysics exam; I looked into the soul of the boy sitting next to me.

This is a snakeskin jacket! And for me it's a symbol of my individuality, and my belief... in personal freedom.

Re: History Of Debugging...

15:30 Vacuum tube #70 began smoking for no reason...
    15:45 Bug Found
    David

CodeGuru Article: Bound Controls are Evil-VB6
    2013 Samples: MS CODE Samples

CodeGuru Reviewer
    2006 Dell CSP
    2006, 2007 & 2008 MVP Visual Basic
    If your question has been answered satisfactorily, and it has been helpful, then, please, Rate this Post!

Quote Originally Posted by Eri523 View Post
    However, the fact that the person who disvovered the original bug was named Grace Hopper suspiciously sounded like an april fool to me. But I looked up that name and obviously it's absolutely authentic. Setting up such an elaborate Wikipedia article just for a hoax would most certainly have been way too much effort. ...
    If it is a hoax, someone should tell the US Navy - they named a guided-missile destroyer after her: http://www.hopper.navy.mil/

She was also the first person to develop a compiler - see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A-0_programming_language

actually, this only prooves that the concept of "a bug" meaning an error already existed prior to this occurrence.

why else would there be
    "first actual case of a bug being found".

That only indicates that the terminology of "a bug" already existed and this was the first time it was really an actual live bug was found in an electronic computer.
    wouldn't surprise me that "debugging" term originated in the time of the mechanical looms and where a bug in the threads could mess up the weaving.

Quote Originally Posted by OReubens View Post
    actually, this only prooves that the concept of "a bug" meaning an error already existed prior to this occurrence.
    The way I've always understood this is that the term 'bug' had been used to describe all sorts of faults in mechanical items for a long time, but when this moth was found it helped to popularise the use in regards to computer software.

I think there is a quote from Thomas Edison about a bug in a phonograph somewhere.

Arjay is offline Moderator / EX MS MVP Power Poster

This thread really bugs me.

Debugging is a methodical process of finding and reducing the number of bugs, or defects, in a computer program or a piece of electronic hardware, thus making it behave as expected. Debugging tends to be harder when various subsystems are tightly coupled, as changes in one may cause bugs to emerge in another. Many books have been written about debugging, as it involves numerous aspects, including interactive debugging,