CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com

CSS Displays Differently in Browsers

I am not a professional web designer, so my question may have a simple answer that I have overlooked. Basically, I put together a site using Dreamweaver some years ago. Recently, I updated the "About Us" page on the site to include a scrolling banner. To my surprise and with very little hassle, it works perfectly...in Firefox 23.0.1 only. All other browsers that I've tested it in (i.e Safari, Chrome, Opera, etc.) it displays incorrectly. Ugh. Realizing that the solution could be a simple tweak and that I might easily spend countless hours pursuing this solution, I am posting my question here. The problem webpage can be found here: http://www.abacuscarpentry.com/aboutus.html As I said, it should display correctly in Firefox 23.0.1. If so, you'll have an example of what I am after. Has anyone encountered this problem before? Is there a quick fix possibly?

kc

2kaud is offline Super Moderator Power Poster

Re: CSS Displays Differently in Browsers

Also works correctly in Firefox 12.0.

Doesn't work with IE8.
    All advice is offered in good faith only. All my code is tested (unless stated explicitly otherwise) with the latest version of Microsoft Visual Studio (using the supported features of the latest standard) and is offered as examples only - not as production quality. I cannot offer advice regarding any other c/c++ compiler/IDE or incompatibilities with VS. You are ultimately responsible for the effects of your programs and the integrity of the machines they run on. Anything I post, code snippets, advice, etc is licensed as Public Domain https://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/zero/1.0/ and can be used without reference or acknowledgement. Also note that I only provide advice and guidance via the forums - and not via private messages!

C++23 Compiler: Microsoft VS2022 (17.6.5)

I wouldn't recommend using the MARQUEE tag anymore. A closer look at your code shows that you're making your site HTML 5 compatible which is great, but I think Marquee ( because it is a non-standard HTML tag ) will be dropped soon / or have been dropped already.

I'd recommend using JavaScript for animations like that. Here's is a nice example :

http://designshack.net/articles/css/...tephotobanner/

I hope my answer was helpful

Hannes is right!

Also, from the design standpoint...there's a reason why no one uses marquees anymore...because people don't like them. Information scrolls across causing the eyes to follow a distraction rather than pointed content.

Notice in your case that the information doesn't even fill the area. There's a huge blank area where the user has to wait for pictures to fill, then sees them all disappear again. I would highly suggest getting rid of scrolling data if you want a pleasing web design.
    If the post was helpful...Rate it! Remember to use [code] or [php] tags.

Thanks for the reply HanneSTheGreaT. I'll run through the tutorial you pointed me to and see comes of it. Nice feedback. I didn't know about the marquee tag being dropped soon.

And thank you for your reply PeejAvery. I totally agree with you. The 'marquee' idea came out of an effort to address/introduce a company whose numbers have outgrown the amount of space allotted for such on the webpage. Having limited capabilities, I opted for what I thought would be a simple and somewhat effective solution. But you've basically pointed out what my intuition was already telling me. I think I'll look into HanneS' linked article, but may also consider abandoning the marquee all together en lieu of something that works better from a good design standpoint.