Our project uses an open source library called Glib. We need to customize it slightly - so I followed these instructions for setting up our Git repository. Basically, I checked out Glib (from its own Git repo) to my local hard drive. I then renamed that remote from "origin" to "upstream". I then created a new remote called "origin" which is our own repo at GitHub.

Up to now, everything has worked really well. I can pull in changes from the official Glib repo (i.e. "upstream"), apply any customizations (if needed), then push everything to "origin" (i.e. to our GitHub repo). From there, our other devs can pull their own working copies. It works brilliantly - except.....

For some reason, I never see any newly added branches (in the upstream repo). For example, one got created yesterday, called "glib-2-38". Using TortoiseGit I can create a completely new (local) Glib repo - and that DOES contain the latest branch. But my usual working copy stubbornly displays only the branches that were present when I first created it.

Can anyone explain what's going on here? TortoiseGit is mostly a shell app for Windows Explorer but it can also be driven from the command line. So if there's a Git command I could issue to make it find the latest branches, that should be possible.