CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com

Hybrid View

C String processing

Hello, my program was to allow the user to enter a value as a C string in the form: xxx,xxx,xxx,xxx,xxx.xx, where x can be any digit. Well, so far here is my attempt. I think the question is, would I have to implement a switch statement for the digits, the comma, and the decimal, so that when a user inputs, let say 52,000.00 the switch statements would read the 1st digit, checks for decimals/commas and if not, proceed to read 2nd digit, and repeat?

A bit overwhelmed with this work, but i'll still rework my coding, just looking for any advice/tips really.
    Code:
    #include <iostream>
    #include <string>

int main() { 
    using namespace std;
    char buffer[256];
    char tempBuff[256] = {'\n'};
    double result; 
    int count = 0;

cout << "Testing " << endl;

cout << "Enter Any integers: ";
    cin.getline(buffer,256);

for(int i = 0; i < strlen(buffer); i++)
    {
    	if(isdigit(buffer[i]))
    	{
    		tempBuff[count] = buffer[i];
    		count++;
    	}

}

if (atof(tempBuff) > 0) { 
    result = atof(tempBuff) / 2;

}

cout << endl <<  "The integer you put was: " << tempBuff << " And dividing the integers "<<  
    	result << endl;

cin.ignore();
    return 0;
    }

Re: C String processing

Quote Originally Posted by kay19 View Post
    I think the question is, would I have to implement a switch statement for the digits, the comma, and the decimal, so that when a user inputs, let say 52,000.00 the switch statements would read the 1st digit, checks for decimals/commas and if not, proceed to read 2nd digit, and repeat?
    You're supposed to have a plan first, and then write the code that fits the plan, not the other way around.

Second, you didn't state what the final goal of your program is. What do you do with this information you've gathered from the string?

Third, you have the wrong #include file. Nowhere in your code do you use std::string, but you #included <string>. The proper #include is this:
    Code:
    #include <cstring>
    Your code uses "old-style" C strings, not C++ std::string. You also failed to #include <cctype> for the isdigit() function.

Regards,

Paul McKenzie
    Last edited by Paul McKenzie; October 15th, 2013 at 04:58 AM.

2kaud is offline Super Moderator Power Poster

1) tempBuff should be initialised to 0 not '\n' as 0 is the terminating char for a c string
    2) result should be initialised to 0 as it's used in the cout statement and may not have been set in the proceeding if statement
    3) the if (isdigit()...) statement can be extended to test for a '.' so that any char other than a digit or a '.' is ignored.
    All advice is offered in good faith only. All my code is tested (unless stated explicitly otherwise) with the latest version of Microsoft Visual Studio (using the supported features of the latest standard) and is offered as examples only - not as production quality. I cannot offer advice regarding any other c/c++ compiler/IDE or incompatibilities with VS. You are ultimately responsible for the effects of your programs and the integrity of the machines they run on. Anything I post, code snippets, advice, etc is licensed as Public Domain https://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/zero/1.0/ and can be used without reference or acknowledgement. Also note that I only provide advice and guidance via the forums - and not via private messages!

C++23 Compiler: Microsoft VS2022 (17.6.5)

Thanks for the replies guys. I only made a diagram where it consisted of 1st, 2nd, and 3rd digits along with a comma and decimal. But yeah, i'll have to sketch/plan more before hand. Thanks for the tips