CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Re: I need your help!

I Trust you !

Quote Originally Posted by 2kaud View Post
    LOL. Okay, at least *I* believe it is better.

Here's some data

Pic Link
    Last edited by GremlinSA; November 8th, 2013 at 01:25 AM. Reason: Big pic made link
    David

CodeGuru Article: Bound Controls are Evil-VB6
    2013 Samples: MS CODE Samples

CodeGuru Reviewer
    2006 Dell CSP
    2006, 2007 & 2008 MVP Visual Basic
    If your question has been answered satisfactorily, and it has been helpful, then, please, Rate this Post!

Arjay is offline Moderator / EX MS MVP Power Poster

Quote Originally Posted by Brad Jones View Post
    LOL. Okay, at least *I* believe it is better.
    Hmm, better security, more stability, faster startup times, support from Microsoft.

Or you could just stick with a 13 year old OS.

Tough choice.

Quote Originally Posted by 2kaud View Post
    Well, XP can't run Azure so if you want to stay current with the latest technologies in your career, you kind of have to stay up on the more recent OS's.

Hey Arjay - There are a surprising number of people on this forum/site that don't think the Cloud is important. They don't realize that it is actually really taking off and with "the Internet of Things" (IoT) become critically important for people to know. Sticking with XP seems to indicate that if they are developers, they are ready for their career to be winding down just like the mainframers of the 80s and early 90s.....

Slam!

Windows Desktop is like the DOS of the 80s.
    -----------------------------------------------
    Brad! Jones,
    Yowza Publishing
    LotsOfSoftware, LLC

David -

Can you take a screen shot of the data you added on Azure? I'll post an example later today!

Here are images of data I stored. You can see it is the same example used in the eSeminar, but you can also see it is my data because I have my name in the people and a few different items. I'm looking for creative, fun items to award!

Name:  Azure.db.001.png
Views: 985
Size:  52.6 KB

Name:  Azure.db.002.png
Views: 1071
Size:  75.4 KB

As a general note -- The above is all that is needed for submitting Activity 2. Activity 3 can be done the same way, but just needs to be a different database and data, so it is pretty simple too!

Brad!
    Last edited by Brad Jones; November 4th, 2013 at 08:54 PM.
    Brad! Jones,
    Yowza Publishing
    LotsOfSoftware, LLC

Quote Originally Posted by Brad Jones View Post
    Hey Arjay - There are a surprising number of people on this forum/site that don't think the Cloud is important. They don't realize that it is actually really taking off and with "the Internet of Things" (IoT) become critically important for people to know. Sticking with XP seems to indicate that if they are developers, they are ready for their career to be winding down just like the mainframers of the 80s and early 90s.....

Slam!

Windows Desktop is like the DOS of the 80s.
    I don't mean to sound harsh, but in the development business, I believe you have to stay up on current technologies; otherwise, it's going to be tough the next time you look for a job.

Sticking to one OS or relying on one version of a compiler scares me.

For me personally, I feel like I have to [re]invest in myself to learn some of the latest technologies. I've been a software professional for close to 19 years now, and it would have been really tough to stay employed if I had stayed with the technologies I first learned when getting in the business (C++ MFC apps on NT3.51 and 4.0 - although I guess not impossible if I was willing to move to Indiana).

My opinion is, you have to go with the latest tech. There is no other way for a developer to stay more current. I have been looking for a different job for quite some time now, unfortunately, and my biggest set back was that I didn't embrace the cloud, Windows 8. That has since changed. I cannot believe I took so long to embrace the newer tech. I cannot imagine my life without it now.

Quote Originally Posted by HanneSThEGreaT View Post
    My opinion is, you have to go with the latest tech. There is no other way for a developer to stay more current. I have been looking for a different job for quite some time now, unfortunately, and my biggest set back was that I didn't embrace the cloud, Windows 8. That has since changed. I cannot believe I took so long to embrace the newer tech. I cannot imagine my life without it now.
    Agreed.
    Look at it another way - if you don't remain current on technology some other developer will.

By and large the newer technologies allow software to be developed more quickly with less maintenance. If you keep up on latest (or relatively latest) technologies, you'll be more valuable to employers. For me, I don't want to stay in a company that uses 10 year old technology, because if that job is lost for whatever reason, I'm 10 years out of date.

Quote Originally Posted by dsrahul View Post

I did not opt for billing me or even allowed then to charge me....
    dsrahul - Can you send me your live ID in an email (bjones<at>internet.com or webmaster<at>codeguru.com)? I'm going to pass this to Microsoft. They would like to investigate this. I was told that you should not have been billed. To quote what they said to me, "we don’t charge a single penny to anyone’s card unless they explicitly tell us to do so."

(oh - and since you have an account, you should do the activities!)

Brad!
    Brad! Jones,
    Yowza Publishing
    LotsOfSoftware, LLC

Sorry if I already posted this. To make things easier, we posted articles showing how to set up the Azure account and build the database. The first step-by-step article is at:

Storing Data in the Cloud
    http://www.codeguru.com/win_mobile/w...-the-cloud.htm

Do what is in this article, capture a screen shot and send it in and you can get the badges, plus have a chance to be awarded a gift card to ThinkGeek. Pretty easy!

Brad!
    Brad! Jones,
    Yowza Publishing
    LotsOfSoftware, LLC

2kaud is offline Super Moderator Power Poster

Quote Originally Posted by Arjay View Post
    I don't mean to sound harsh, but in the development business, I believe you have to stay up on current technologies; otherwise, it's going to be tough the next time you look for a job.

Sticking to one OS or relying on one version of a compiler scares me.

For me personally, I feel like I have to [re]invest in myself to learn some of the latest technologies. I've been a software professional for close to 19 years now, and it would have been really tough to stay employed if I had stayed with the technologies I first learned when getting in the business (C++ MFC apps on NT3.51 and 4.0 - although I guess not impossible if I was willing to move to Indiana).
    I agree. Anyone who wants to get ahead in todays market place needs to embrace all these latest technologies. I've been programming computers for over 40 years and I'm now winding down. I gave up trying to keep abreast of things when 8 came out. I remember hand coding programs in octal and entering them direct via toggles on the front panel of the computer. Those were the days... Nowadays I mainly undertake maintenance of c/c++ 'legacy' systems that don't interest the younger programmers as it not the latest 'kool' technology and act as a 'mentor/father figure' to the younger programmers to encourage them in their career.

PS What was wrong with DOS?
    All advice is offered in good faith only. All my code is tested (unless stated explicitly otherwise) with the latest version of Microsoft Visual Studio (using the supported features of the latest standard) and is offered as examples only - not as production quality. I cannot offer advice regarding any other c/c++ compiler/IDE or incompatibilities with VS. You are ultimately responsible for the effects of your programs and the integrity of the machines they run on. Anything I post, code snippets, advice, etc is licensed as Public Domain https://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/zero/1.0/ and can be used without reference or acknowledgement. Also note that I only provide advice and guidance via the forums - and not via private messages!

C++23 Compiler: Microsoft VS2022 (17.6.5)

I posted the following over at VBForums. I'll post it here too:

As most of you know, we recently were gathering data from our sites via an audience survey. We've been talking about the cloud in this thread and I know a lot of you are resistant to messing with the cloud. Our survey results were very interesting in this regard.

In 2012, 22% of our audience said they were working with cloud storage. 19% said they were working with cloud computing.
    In 2012, 30% projected they'd be working with cloud storage in the next 12 months (so by now), and 40% predicted they'd be working with cloud computing.

In our new survey, the numbers were actually higher than the projections. 43% are working with cloud storage now and 41% are working with cloud computing. Another 25+ percent (putting it well over half) expect to be working with both of these in the next 12 months.

Cloud is definitely coming into the mainstream and is past the early adopter stage.

We've made it easy with the articles on Codeguru and the presentation to learn a bit about Cloud Storage. Read the article and give yourself 30 minutes to play with Azure. You'll be surprised at how much you can do!

Brad!
    Brad! Jones,
    Yowza Publishing
    LotsOfSoftware, LLC

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123