CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com

Hybrid View

Finding the temperature at the end of the interval but can't seem to get the answer?

I've been trying to get the numbers for hours now but i can seem to get it right. Here's the problem below:

During the initial period, when the heater is not yet functioning at peak efficiency the heating will increase the temperature inside the building at a rate given by the following equations. During the initial period when the air conditioner is not yet functioning at peak efficacy the air conditioner will decrease the temperature inside the building at a rate given by the same equations.

Interval = (Time since turning on / 2.0 ) - 3.0
    Factor multiplying Temperature change per minute = exp( Interval) / ( 1 + exp(Interval) )
    These equations can also be used after the heating or air conditioner reaches peak efficiency. These equations converge to 1, so after the heating or air conditioner reach peak efficiency these equations will always give a value of 1.
    NOTE: the value of these equations needs to be multiplied by the RATE TEMPERATURE CHANGES. The RATE TEMPERATURE CHANGES is EITHER the change in temperature inside the building in degrees Celsius per minute caused by heat being extracted by the air conditioning OR the change in temperature inside the building in degrees Celsius per minute caused by the heat being generated by the heating .Temperature change in degrees per minute = Factor multiplying Temperature change per minute * RATE TEMPERATURE CHANGES

Temperature at end of this interval = Temperature at the start of the interval + temperature change due to heat escaping during the this interval + temperature change due to heat generated by the heating system during this interval + temperature change due to heat removed by the cooling system during this interval

i have a:
    ...rate of -.05 for heat escape w/o cooling or heating
    ...rate of 0.10 for heat escape w/ cooling
    ...rate of 0.125 for heat increase w/ heating
    ...Starting temp=38.00
    ...Time interval 3.50

i can't seem to find the temp at the ending interval?

What i tried doing:

Code:
    #include<iostream>
    #include<cmath>
    using namespace std;

int main ()
    {
    	double intervals=0.00;

double tempPerMin=0.00;
    	double tempAtEnd=0.00;
    	double naturalChange=0.00;

double coolChange=0.00;

double heatChange=0.00;

intervals=(0.0/2.0)-3.0;
    	tempPerMin=(exp(intervals))/(1+exp(intervals));
    	naturalChange=(-0.05)*tempPerMin*3.5;
    	coolChange=(0.1)*(tempPerMin)*3.5;
    	heatChange=(0.125)*(tempPerMin)*3.5;

tempAtEnd=38.00-coolChange+naturalChange-heatChange;

cout<<tempAtEnd;

return 0;

}
    the temperature at the end of the interval is suppose to be 37.81 but i can't get the answer. I'm pretty sure this is a logical error from the equations i used but i can't seem to find it. Any hints?

2kaud is offline Super Moderator Power Poster

Re: Finding the temperature at the end of the interval but can't seem to get the answ

Code:
    ntervals=(0.0/2.0)-3.0;
    0.0 divided by anything except a 0 will always give 0! So intervals is -3 which I don't think is what you want.

How would you do this without writing a program just using pen and paper? When you have the working algorithm then produce a program design and then code the program and then debug the program againt the algorithm/design.
    Last edited by 2kaud; October 31st, 2013 at 05:26 AM.
    All advice is offered in good faith only. All my code is tested (unless stated explicitly otherwise) with the latest version of Microsoft Visual Studio (using the supported features of the latest standard) and is offered as examples only - not as production quality. I cannot offer advice regarding any other c/c++ compiler/IDE or incompatibilities with VS. You are ultimately responsible for the effects of your programs and the integrity of the machines they run on. Anything I post, code snippets, advice, etc is licensed as Public Domain https://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/zero/1.0/ and can be used without reference or acknowledgement. Also note that I only provide advice and guidance via the forums - and not via private messages!

C++23 Compiler: Microsoft VS2022 (17.6.5)

Re: Finding the temperature at the end of the interval but can't seem to get the answ

well the question gives me the following equations...

Temperature at end of this interval = Temperature at the start of the interval + temperature change due to heat escaping during the this interval + temperature change due to heat generated by the heating system during this interval + temperature change due to heat removed by the cooling system during this interval

Interval = (Time since turning on / 2.0 ) - 3.0

Factor multiplying Temperature change per minute = exp( Interval) / ( 1 + exp(Interval) )

Then i put in the numbers...

Interval = (3.5 / 2.0 ) - 3.0

Temperature change from heat escape w/o cooling or heating = exp( Interval) / ( 1 + exp(Interval) ) *(-0.05)*(3.5)
    Temperature change from heat escape w cooling = exp( Interval) / ( 1 + exp(Interval) ) *(0.1)*(3.5)

Ending temp=38.00+ temperature change due to heat escaping during the this interval + temperature change due to heat removed by the cooling system during this interval

i didn't include the heat generated by the heater since it was off.
    Can you see what i did wrong?

i have a test case that they provided me.

Code:
    Interval Starting   Ending   Starting      Ending
               Time      Time   Temperature Temperature Heating  Cooling

The cooling was turned on after 0.00 minutes.
           1     0.00     3.50     38.00       37.81       Off       On

Quote Originally Posted by dritail View Post
    the temperature at the end of the interval is suppose to be 37.81 but i can't get the answer. I'm pretty sure this is a logical error from the equations i used but i can't seem to find it. Any hints?
    Learn to use the debugger to step through your program to see which one of those calculations winds up with the wrong results.

Your program is just a few lines long. Here is the opportunity to learn how to debug programs using the Visual Studio Debugger. Look at the main menu in VS, and you see a "Debug" option.

Regards,

Paul McKenzie