CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com

Is 'The Cloud' redundant for small database users?

I'm interested in your opinions. I rent services from a very reliable and inexpensive server provider. They provide SQL Database and MSAccess database storage and retrieval in a secure environment. Why do I need a 'Cloud Service Provider', e.g., Microsoft Azure, in order to provide online database access to my users, when I can readily program web pages, desktop PCs and Android phone apps to access the data? Is this just another marketing ploy to rake in more cash, or is there something that I'm missing here? I take it that the Cover California and other Affordable Health Care Act websites tried to use some sort of 'Cloud' based data server that failed to scale up properly. What are your thoughts?
    mpliam

Arjay is offline Moderator / EX MS MVP Power Poster

Re: Is 'The Cloud' redundant for small database users?

You may not need a Cloud Service provider. I think it makes sense for many companies that don't want to host their own servers or don't want to maintain any hardware at a colo. Windows Azure is just one of the cloud providers. I'm not an expert but the benefits are not having to host the hardware, easy setup and configuration of websites, databases, web services, active directory, and more (see the Azure boot camp here at CG for more info).

As far as issues with the health care websites? I recently did some contract work using Azure and found the config and ability to scale up test and production sites quite simple. However, in order to determine if the setup is sufficient, you'll need to load test it. Perhaps this wasn't done at the level needed for the health care sites? Hard to say.

Personally, I think cloud based hosting is going to take off. I have a couple of independent projects that I plan to host using the cloud.

Arjay is offline Moderator / EX MS MVP Power Poster

Here's the link to the Azure Camp:
    http://forums.codeguru.com/showthrea...a-in-the-Cloud

Azure is a LOT more than just "sql data storage".

It is a platform where you rent virtual computer resources and where you can even dynamically scale those resources programmatically based on current need.
    You can run software on azure, have a website with or without dynamic content, and you can get those two with or without databse support.

Azure offers advantages that other "similar" providers cannot offer. If you can do what you need to do elsewhere for less money, then "good for you". Azure is by no means the only , the best or the cheapest way to get something done.

If you have very specific needs, then other platforms/providers will probably be able to customize a solution for you that has an appropriate price tag. It's always been my impression that azure's strong points is in the dynamic scalability, and the API being offered. Depending on your needs, that may be a non-issue.