CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com
    GCDEF is offline Elite Member Power Poster

App won't run on Windows 8.1

I've been told one of our apps just crashes on 8.1, but works on everything else. Another gives the error "The procedure entry point CoInternetSetFeatureEnabled could not be located in the dynamic link library C:\WINDOWS\AppPatch\AcGenral.DLL.'

These were created with VS2012 SP3. I don't have an 8.1 computer and have no idea where to even look. Any ideas?

2kaud is offline Super Moderator Power Poster

Re: App won't run on Windows 8.1

Why not create/install a virtual Windows 8.1 machine on your development computer that can be used for testing? My Windows 7 system has VMs for XP, Windows 8 and Windows 8.1. For historical reasons I use VMWARE, but there is virtual PC from Microsoft.
    All advice is offered in good faith only. All my code is tested (unless stated explicitly otherwise) with the latest version of Microsoft Visual Studio (using the supported features of the latest standard) and is offered as examples only - not as production quality. I cannot offer advice regarding any other c/c++ compiler/IDE or incompatibilities with VS. You are ultimately responsible for the effects of your programs and the integrity of the machines they run on. Anything I post, code snippets, advice, etc is licensed as Public Domain https://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/zero/1.0/ and can be used without reference or acknowledgement. Also note that I only provide advice and guidance via the forums - and not via private messages!

C++23 Compiler: Microsoft VS2022 (17.6.5)

Not sure how that would help with the current problem

2kaud is offline Super Moderator Power Poster

Quote Originally Posted by GCDEF View Post
    Not sure how that would help with the current problem
    So you would be able to test/debug your app under 8.1 on your own computer. That's what I do.
    Last edited by 2kaud; November 21st, 2013 at 05:20 PM.
    All advice is offered in good faith only. All my code is tested (unless stated explicitly otherwise) with the latest version of Microsoft Visual Studio (using the supported features of the latest standard) and is offered as examples only - not as production quality. I cannot offer advice regarding any other c/c++ compiler/IDE or incompatibilities with VS. You are ultimately responsible for the effects of your programs and the integrity of the machines they run on. Anything I post, code snippets, advice, etc is licensed as Public Domain https://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/zero/1.0/ and can be used without reference or acknowledgement. Also note that I only provide advice and guidance via the forums - and not via private messages!

C++23 Compiler: Microsoft VS2022 (17.6.5)

Arjay is offline Moderator / EX MS MVP Power Poster

Given the AppPatch folder displayed in the error, I wonder that if your app is a popular app, Microsoft created an app patch for it that wasn't created (yet) for Win 8.1?

Quote Originally Posted by Arjay View Post
    Given the AppPatch folder displayed in the error, I wonder that if your app is a popular app, Microsoft created an app patch for it that wasn't created (yet) for Win 8.1?
    I'm not sure what you mean, but I am sure Microsoft hasn't heard of us or created any kind of patch.

@2kaud is absolutely correct. I can't imagine living without the VMs. They are indispensable for debugging. We're using VMWare workstation. Here's the screenshot from my dev machine:

Name:  1.jpg
Views: 1239
Size:  100.0 KB

As you can see I have all the OS's from XP to 8.1 to Mavericks right on my desktop. And switching between them is as easy as clicking on a new tab. You can also employ remote debugging and a special VMWare VS plugin for debugging, or you can simply rely on good ol' event logging.

Before using VMWare (which you have to pay for), we used Oracle's VirtualBox, which is free and, to be honest with you, works as well. It just doesn't have the VS integration.

As for your original problem, it's really hard to say without actually running a debugger on it. Maybe try to add Windows 8.1 compatibility manifest.

You can also try to run the app in compatibility mode.

Quote Originally Posted by Arjay View Post
    You can also try to run the app in compatibility mode.
    Not sure what that means either.

Quote Originally Posted by GCDEF View Post
    Not sure what that means either.
    right click on the app icon and choose properties. In there you'll find compatibility mode settings. It allows the app to run as if on an erlier version of Windows.