CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com

why it doesn't working?

Hi.i program a software to get scores from admin and sort them ascending then show the middle score(if admin enter middle).but when i compile it nothing happen.what should i do?here's code ,i use dev compiler
    Code:
    #include <cstdlib>
    #include <iostream>
    #include <math.h>
    #include <string.h>
    using namespace std;

int main(int argc, char *argv[])
    {
        int counter,j,count,counter2,m;
        char function[80];
        float scores,varyans,middle,ave,sum=0,i;
        float student [100];
        cout<<"enter scores\n";
        cout<<"for end enter-1\n";
        for(counter=0;counter<100;counter++)
        {
                                            cin>>student[counter];
                                            if(student[counter]==-1)
                                            break;
                                            }

count=counter;          
        cout<<"what to do\n";
        cin>>function;
        if(strcmp(function,"middle")==0)
        {
                                     for( ;counter>=0;count--)
                                     for(j=0;j<=count;j++)
                                     if(student[j]>student[j+1])
                                     {
                                                               i=student[j];
                                                               student[j]=student[j+1];
                                                               student[j+1]=i;
                                                               }
                                                               for(;count>0;count--)
                                                               cout<<student[count];
                                                               }
                                                    m=count/2;
                                                    cout<<student[m]; 
      cout<<"\n";
        system("PAUSE");
        return EXIT_SUCCESS;
    }

2kaud is offline Super Moderator Power Poster

Re: why it doesn't working?

What debugging of the program have you done? If you trace through the operation of the progam using the debugger you will soon see the various problems. Being able to debug properly programs is a skill that all programmers need to learn and acquire.

I suspect this is an assignment so I won't provide the corrected code but this is some guidance.

As your final -1 is entered into the array, your count of the number of entries is too great.

Your outer sort loop has a condition on counter but changes count.

Arrays are indexed from 0 to one less than the number of elements. Your inner sort loop j accesses the final -1 element for j and then tries to compare it to element j + 1 which is outside the number of entered elements and could be any value. If you entered 99 data items this would cause a buffer overflow problem.

You are printing the elements descending not ascending.

Your output loop after the sort doesn't print the final number as it doesn't access student[0].

If you select function middle, count will be -1 (or 0 in your case at the moment) after the numbers have been printed so m will be the wrong value and hence it won't output the correct middle number.
    All advice is offered in good faith only. All my code is tested (unless stated explicitly otherwise) with the latest version of Microsoft Visual Studio (using the supported features of the latest standard) and is offered as examples only - not as production quality. I cannot offer advice regarding any other c/c++ compiler/IDE or incompatibilities with VS. You are ultimately responsible for the effects of your programs and the integrity of the machines they run on. Anything I post, code snippets, advice, etc is licensed as Public Domain https://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/zero/1.0/ and can be used without reference or acknowledgement. Also note that I only provide advice and guidance via the forums - and not via private messages!

C++23 Compiler: Microsoft VS2022 (17.6.5)

thanks,but i dont understood how to solve it and the correct code is not needed,just if you could guide me more.
    it means the last if should be :if(student[j-1]<student[j]
    everything would be correct??

hi again.i change the main code to this but the output is not that i wanted.what should i do????
    Code:
    for( ;counter>=0;counter--)
                                     for(j=0;j<=count;j++)
                                     if(student[j-1]<student[j])
                                     {
                                                               i=student[j-1];
                                                               student[j-1]=student[j];
                                                               student[j]=i;
                                                               }
                                                               for(;count>1;count--)
                                                               cout<<student[count];
                                                               }
                                                    m=count/2;
                                                    cout<<student[m];
    Last edited by Faraz95; November 23rd, 2013 at 09:47 AM.

but the output is not that i wanted.what should i do????
    Debug your program using the debugger! If you don't know how to use the debugger, now is the time to learn. It's not difficult. What compiler are you using?

Even without using the debugger, it is quite easy to find the mistakes in this simple code using a pencil and paper. Walk through the program manually and write down on paper the contents of the variables as they are changed and see where the code deviates from what is expected from your program design. You could even put appropriate cout statments in the code to see what is happening when you run the code.

How has your tutor explained how to find run-time errors in code?
    All advice is offered in good faith only. All my code is tested (unless stated explicitly otherwise) with the latest version of Microsoft Visual Studio (using the supported features of the latest standard) and is offered as examples only - not as production quality. I cannot offer advice regarding any other c/c++ compiler/IDE or incompatibilities with VS. You are ultimately responsible for the effects of your programs and the integrity of the machines they run on. Anything I post, code snippets, advice, etc is licensed as Public Domain https://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/zero/1.0/ and can be used without reference or acknowledgement. Also note that I only provide advice and guidance via the forums - and not via private messages!

Quote Originally Posted by Faraz95 View Post
    thanks,but i dont understood how to solve it
    Debug your code. Why haven't you done that? That is how you solve the problem. Asking expert or professional programmers to debug code you wrote is not how you learn how to write a program. Debugging is part of learning how to write a program -- you're just going to have to learn how to debug.

When you write a program, you're supposed to understand what every line, function, etc. is supposed to do. If those lines of code do not perform correctly, then you debug the program to see where the code goes against your plans, and fix the code accordingly. Instead of 100 students, how about just trying 4 or 5 students? Step through your program with a debugger and see where it fails.

You were told already that you were going beyond the boundaries of the array, but you didn't fix it. If you tried 4,5, or even 3 students, you should see where your code fails. Change your arrays to only 3 students instead of 100. You should see easily that you're comparing the third student to the fourth student, and there is no fourth student.

Regards,

Paul McKenzie
    Last edited by Paul McKenzie; November 23rd, 2013 at 11:21 AM.

For example, take a look at your input loop. What if you entered 2 students?
    Code:
    for(counter=0;counter<100;counter++)
    {
        cin >> student[counter];
        if(student[counter]==-1)
                break;
    }
    count=counter;
    To enter only 2 student, that loop has to be performed three times (the first two times for the students, and then again to enter a -1). What is the value of count? It will be 2. Now what happens here?
    Code:
    for(j=0;j<=count;j++)
        if(student[j-1]<student[j])
    So what happens when j is 0? You are comparing student[j-1] (which is student[-1]) to student [0]. Does that sound right to you? You are comparing a student that doesn't exist, and you are accessing the array out of bounds.

Now at the other end, what happens if j is 2? You are comparing student[2], but student[2] is equal to -1 (the -1 you entered to stop the input loop). The only students that can be compared are student[0] and student[1]. So with just 2 students, your code fails.

Also, if you entered just 1 student, your code would fail because it will be trying to sort a single student.

But if you just debugged your code, you should have seen easily seen this.

Regards,

Paul McKenzie
    Last edited by Paul McKenzie; November 23rd, 2013 at 11:43 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by 2kaud View Post
    Debug your program using the debugger! If you don't know how to use the debugger, now is the time to learn. It's not difficult. What compiler are you using?

Even without using the debugger, it is quite easy to find the mistakes in this simple code using a pencil and paper. Walk through the program manually and write down on paper the contents of the variables as they are changed and see where the code deviates from what is expected from your program design. You could even put appropriate cout statments in the code to see what is happening when you run the code.

How has your tutor explained how to find run-time errors in code?
    i use dev c++ compiler

again i change the code to this but aint solved
    Code:
     for( ;counter>=0;counter--)
                                     for(j=0;j<=(counter-1);j++)
                                     if(student[j]<student[j+1])
                                     {
                                                               i=student[j];
                                                               student[j]=student[j+1];
                                                               student[j+1]=i;
                                                               }
                                                               for(count=counter-1;count>=0;count--)
                                                               cout<<student[count];
                                                               }
                                                    m=(counter)/2;
                                                    cout<<"\n"<<student[m];

VictorN is online now Super Moderator Power Poster

i use dev c++ compiler
    Do you mean your "dev c++ compiler" does not have a debugger?
    Or you don't know what debugger is?
    Victor Nijegorodov

There are plenty of web resources available about the dev c++ debugger.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=de...en-GB:official

You seem to be just trying things to see what happens. You can't do this with programs. First design the program, then code the program from the design, then test/debug the code against the design. This is what professional programmers do. They don't just write some code and hope for the best. When something doesn't work as expected, we use the debugger to see why, where the code is deviating from what was expected and then change the code appropriately.

You need to use the debugger to work through your code and see where is the problem.
    We're not going to fix this program for you as it's an assignment and that would be cheating. I gave you a lot of guidance in my post #2 together with Paul's comments in his post #7.

See http://forums.codeguru.com/showthrea...ork-assignment

You're trying to do a simple bubble sort and getting the conditions not quite right. Do a web search for bubble sort.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=bu...Hsva0QWjtIHYDQ

http://mathbits.com/MathBits/CompSci/Arrays/Bubble.htm

So the question to you is this:

Why did you change the code to this new code?

If your answer is "I don't know" or "I'm trying everything", then that is the wrong answer. You only change code if you know that the changes will produce the right results. The only way to know that is to debug the program and then determine what the corrections are. Just writing code and trying things to see if they work is not how you write programs (as 2kaud pointed out).

It seems that you are getting the impression that if the program doesn't work, then something unusual is happening and then you must call "help!!!" on a programming forum. That isn't the case -- almost every program that is written will have bugs in it that have to be fixed. There is nothing unusual if a program initially has bugs -- that is expected. Since that is expected, then the other thing that is expected is for the programmer to know how to fix the bugs. Again, fixing bugs is part of learning how to write programs.

Regards,

Paul McKenzie

you know,i understand how to solve it and it's over.but i want to know that how can i use debuger of a compiler?
    i use dev c++ compiler