CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com

C++ in creating OS

Which C++ compiler is the best to create new operating system ?

Re: C++ in creating OS

Quote Originally Posted by ArnoldRich View Post
    Which C++ compiler is the best to create new operating system ?
    Most important for maximum portability is that you use C++ standard features only. No compiler specific extensions or libraries. And even so stick to "plain" C++. No exotic features. And I would leave C++ 11 features alone since it will be years until most compilers are standard compliant.

I've understood you.
    And what compiler to use?

if you create your own OS
    You will at the very least need to create your own runtime library to have the C++ library interface to the OS.
    If your OS has it's own executable format, you will probably need to create your own compiler, or at the least your own linker to produce executables in the formay your OS supports.

if you are building on top of an existing OS, then you're easiest to use a compiler already supported on that OS.

2kaud is offline Super Moderator Power Poster

I've understood you.
    And what compiler to use?
    For which processor family?
    All advice is offered in good faith only. All my code is tested (unless stated explicitly otherwise) with the latest version of Microsoft Visual Studio (using the supported features of the latest standard) and is offered as examples only - not as production quality. I cannot offer advice regarding any other c/c++ compiler/IDE or incompatibilities with VS. You are ultimately responsible for the effects of your programs and the integrity of the machines they run on. Anything I post, code snippets, advice, etc is licensed as Public Domain https://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/zero/1.0/ and can be used without reference or acknowledgement. Also note that I only provide advice and guidance via the forums - and not via private messages!

C++23 Compiler: Microsoft VS2022 (17.6.5)

Resolved Re: C++ in creating OS

Quote Originally Posted by 2kaud View Post
    For which processor family?
    Intel.

I need to create my own runtime library to have the C++ library interface to the OS.
    My OS will have it's own executable format, so I will need to create my own compiler, or at the least my own linker to produce executables in the format my OS will support.
    Could you more precisily describe the steps, which are needed, in detail?

Could you more precisily describe the steps, which are needed, in detail?
    You need to become familiar with cross-compiling and bootstrapping.

This is a start.

http://wiki.osdev.org/GCC_Cross-Compiler
    Last edited by razzle; November 27th, 2013 at 02:20 AM.

continued ...

I suggest you have a look at a small simple and cheap computer called Raspberry PI:

http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/7-opera...-raspberry-pi/

This may not be your immediate target machine but it's better to start small and use a hardware that's developed for educational purposes. And you get in touch with a user community sharing your interests where you can ask concrete questions. You may even be able to convince other people to try out your OS and give feedback and become costumers eventually.

If you can get a rudimentary OS up and running on the Raspberry PI you've taken a big leap on the road to becoming the new Bill Gates or Steven Jobs . I would make Raspberry PI my first step.
    Last edited by razzle; November 27th, 2013 at 02:21 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by razzle View Post

This is a start.

Thank you.

Intel.
    that's a brand/company , not a processor family.

Intel makes a wide variety of processor families and some families have many many subtypes.
    And some other manufacturers make "intel" compatible cpu's as well.

I made my own bootstrap and C++library for an intel galileo (intel's "arduino clone"), and use a generic C++ compiler that outputs a form of bytecode binaries, then I covert the bytecode to galileo instructions.
    Hardest part in the lib was making the cin read from and cout write to the USB port and have the generic named streams behave as the input and output pins.
    Yes, there's a reason I didn't use the normal arduino dev kit for this (don't ask).

This is a start.

Thank you.

continued ...

I suggest you have a look at a small simple and cheap computer called Raspberry PI:

http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/7-opera...-raspberry-pi/

This may not be your immediate target machine but it's better to start small and use a hardware that's developed for educational purposes. And you get in touch with a user community sharing your interests where you can ask concrete questions. You may even be able to convince other people to try out your OS and give feedback and become costumers eventually.

If you can get a rudimentary OS up and running on the Raspberry PI you've taken a big leap on the road to becoming the new Bill Gates or Steven Jobs . I would make Raspberry PI my first step.
    Thank you.