CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com

Spelling program with linking back to the database. (VB.NET 2010 & Access 2010)

Hi everyone! First of all, I just want to say that I'm new to VB and if some of those things are easy to do and I'm asking for help with them, then now you know why. Anyway, my task is to create a program that will help students with their spelling. The program has to do these things:

Allow users to log in either as staff and/or pupils (DONE)
    Allow staff to add words and definitions to the system (DONE)
    Display a ten question spelling test (DONE)
    Calculate and display a student's score at the end of the test
    Store pupils' score (In the database that I've already created. It includes all the login details, words, definitions, etc.)
    Provide analysis of pupils' progress
    And also, the system should score each of the ten words using the following rules: • If the pupil’s spelling is correct - 2 marks (Every single letter correct) • If there is a minor error - 1 mark (1 letter wrong) • If there is a major error - 0 mark (More than 1 letter wrong)
    Basically, I need help with all the things that aren't marked as 'DONE' and what I would like you guys to help me with is to just show me how to do these things. It's hard to explain what I actually need but I hope that at least some of you know what I need. If you have any questions then I'll do my best to answer them! Thanks in advance for all the help!

Example of how you could help me. (For those of you who don't know what I mean.) For example you choose to help me with this: - Calculate and display a student's score at the end of the test. By telling me what to do or by showing me the code. But as I said earlier, if you have any questions about anything then just ask!

Re: Spelling program with linking back to the database. (VB.NET 2010 & Access 2010)

You'd have to post what you have, and what problem you are having. If you have a test, it should have answers. Not sure how you'd not catch a misspelled an answer. Make sure that you use CODE TAGS

Code:
    ' Like this!
    David

CodeGuru Article: Bound Controls are Evil-VB6
    2013 Samples: MS CODE Samples

CodeGuru Reviewer
    2006 Dell CSP
    2006, 2007 & 2008 MVP Visual Basic
    If your question has been answered satisfactorily, and it has been helpful, then, please, Rate this Post!

Re: Spelling program with linking back to the database. (VB.NET 2010 & Access 2010)

I guess I'll just start with all of my forms, how they are linked to each other, what they do, (or what they are supposed to do) etc.

Main form- Splash screen, takes you to the login form. (No problems with that so no need to go into further details here)

Login form- Includes a text box where you can type in the username, a text box where you can type in the password, a button that will allow you to log in as a teacher and an appropriate form for that will show up(StaffMenu) and a button that will allow you to log in as a student and an appropriate form for that will show up(StudentMenu). I don't have any problems with this form just showing it so you can understand everything easier, later.
    All the code that I have for this form:

Public Class frmLogin

Private Sub cmdLoginT_Click(ByVal sender As System.Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles cmdLoginT.Click
    ' Checks whether username or password field is empty
    If txtPass.Text = "" Or txtUsername.Text = "" Then
    MessageBox.Show("Please complete the required fields.", "Authentication Error", MessageBoxButtons.OK, MessageBoxIcon.Error)
    Else
    ' If Both fields were filled in, then check whether the user exists in the database
    ' Connect to the database
    Dim Conn As New System.Data.OleDb.OleDbConnection()
    Conn.ConnectionString = "Provider=Microsoft.ACE.OLEDB.12.0;Data Source=Database for VB.accdb"

'Try
    ' Conn.Open()

Dim SQL As String = "SELECT * FROM UserTable WHERE username='" & txtUsername.Text & "' AND password = '" & txtPass.Text & "'"
    Dim SQLComm As New System.Data.OleDb.OleDbCommand(SQL)

' Open Database Connection
    SQLComm.Connection = Conn
    Conn.Open()

Dim SQLRdr As System.Data.OleDb.OleDbDataReader = SQLComm.ExecuteReader()
    ' Makes sure that you can't login as staff to the student area and that you can't login as student to the staff area
    If SQLRdr.Read() Then
    If (SQLRdr.Item("Position")) = "Staff" Then
    MsgBox("You have successfully logged in!")
    ' After successfully logging in, the 'Staff Menu' form will show up
    frmStaffMenu.Show()
    Me.Close()
    ElseIf (SQLRdr.Item("Position")) = "Student" Then
    MsgBox("You don't have access to this area!")
    txtPass.Text = ""
    txtUsername.Text = ""
    End If

Else
    ' If a user has entered wrong username and/or password combination then an error message will come up
    MessageBox.Show("Username and Password do not match.", "Authentication Failure", MessageBoxButtons.OK, MessageBoxIcon.Exclamation)

' Clear all fields so the user can quickly enter the details again
    txtPass.Text = ""
    txtUsername.Text = ""

' Focus on the 'Username' field
    txtUsername.Focus()
    End If

'Catch ex As Exception
    'MessageBox.Show("Failed to connect to Database.", "Database Connection Error", MessageBoxButtons.OK, MessageBoxIcon.Error)
    'End Try

End If

End Sub

Private Sub btnClear_Click(ByVal sender As System.Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles btnClear.Click
    ' User clicking on clear button will clear all the fields and refocus to the 'Username' field to make everything easier and quicker
    txtUsername.Text = ""
    txtPass.Text = ""
    txtUsername.Focus()

End Sub

Private Sub cmdLoginS_Click(ByVal sender As System.Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles cmdLoginS.Click

' Checks whether username and/or password fields are empty
    If txtPass.Text = "" Or txtUsername.Text = "" Then
    MessageBox.Show("Please complete the required fields.", "Authentication Error", MessageBoxButtons.OK, MessageBoxIcon.Error)
    Else
    ' If Both fields were filled in, then check whether the user exists in the database
    ' Connect to the database
    Conn.ConnectionString = "Provider=Microsoft.ACE.OLEDB.12.0;Data Source=Database for VB.accdb"

' Try
    ' Conn.Open()

Dim SQL As String = "SELECT * FROM UserTable WHERE username='" & txtUsername.Text & "' AND password = '" & txtPass.Text & "'"
    Dim SQLComm As New System.Data.OleDb.OleDbCommand(SQL)

' Open Database Connection
    SQLComm.Connection = Conn
    Conn.Open()

Dim SQLRdr As System.Data.OleDb.OleDbDataReader = SQLComm.ExecuteReader()
    ' Makes sure that you can't login as staff to the student area and that you can't login as student to the staff area
    If SQLRdr.Read() Then
    If (SQLRdr.Item("Position")) = "Student" Then
    MsgBox("You have successfully logged in!")
    ' After successfully logging in, the 'Student Menu' form will show up
    frmStudentMenu.Show()
    Me.Close()
    ElseIf (SQLRdr.Item("Position")) = "Staff" Then
    MsgBox("You don't have access to this area!")
    txtPass.Text = ""
    txtUsername.Text = ""
    End If
    Else

' If a user has entered wrong username and/or password combination then an error message will come up
    MessageBox.Show("Username and Password do not match.", "Authentication Failure", MessageBoxButtons.OK, MessageBoxIcon.Exclamation)

' Clear all fields so the user can quickly enter the details again
    txtPass.Text = ""
    txtUsername.Text = ""

' Focus on the 'Username' field
    txtUsername.Focus()
    End If

'Catch ex As Exception
    ' MessageBox.Show("Failed to connect to Database.", "Database Connection Error", MessageBoxButtons.OK, MessageBoxIcon.Error)
    'End Try

End If
    End Sub

Private Sub frmLogin_Load(ByVal sender As System.Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles MyBase.Load

End Sub
    Private Sub btnClose_Click(ByVal sender As System.Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles btnClose.Click
    ' When a user will press the exit button, a message box will appear asking whether they want to close the program and if a user clicks 'Yes' then
    ' the whole program will close but if they click 'No' then the message box will simply dissapear
    Dim Result As DialogResult
    Result = MessageBox.Show("Are you sure you wish to close the program?", "Close program?", MessageBoxButtons.YesNo)
    If Result = Windows.Forms.DialogResult.Yes Then
    ' Makes sure that the program will actually fully close
    Application.Exit()
    Else
    End If
    End Sub
    End Class

Staff menu form- A simple form with which you can easily be directed to any other form you want. In this case, 'Leaderboards'(Doesn't matter for now), 'Create test' and 'Check individual progress'(This form is supposed to allow the teacher to give some kind of comment after each test that the student has completed. I haven't created a form for that yet because there are other, more important things to do first, such as calculating and saving score as well as how to differentiate whether a student has done a major or minor mistake.)
    Code:

Public Class frmStaffMenu

Private Sub frmStaffMenu_Load(ByVal sender As System.Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles MyBase.Load

End Sub

Private Sub btnLeader_Click(ByVal sender As System.Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles btnLeader.Click
    ' Once the button is clicked, 'Leaderboards' form will show up
    frmLeaderboards.Show()
    End Sub

Private Sub btnClose_Click(ByVal sender As System.Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles btnClose.Click
    ' When a user will press the exit button, a message box will appear asking whether they want to close the program and if a user clicks 'Yes' then
    ' the whole program will close but if they click 'No' then the message box will simply dissapear
    Result = MessageBox.Show("Are you sure you wish to close the program?", "Close program?", MessageBoxButtons.YesNo)
    Application.Exit()
    Else
    End If
    End Sub

Private Sub btnPrev_Click(ByVal sender As System.Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles btnPrev.Click
    ' The current form will close and go back to the previous form
    Me.Close()
    End Sub

Private Sub btnCreateTest_Click(ByVal sender As System.Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles btnCreateTest.Click
    ' Once the button is clicked, 'Create test' form will show up
    frmCreateTest.Show()
    End Sub
    End Class

Student menu form- The same as for the teacher but with different forms that they can be directed to. Again, a simple menu(?) form.
    Code:

Public Class frmStudentMenu
    Private Sub frmStudentMenu_Load(ByVal sender As System.Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles MyBase.Load

End Sub

Private Sub btnLeader_Click(ByVal sender As System.Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles btnLeader.Click
    ' Once the button is clicked, 'Leaderboards' form will show up
    frmLeaderboards1.Show()
    End Sub

Application.Exit()
    Else
    End If
    End Sub

Private Sub btnPrev_Click(ByVal sender As System.Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles btnPrev.Click
    Me.Close()
    End Sub

Private Sub btnDoTest_Click(ByVal sender As System.Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles btnDoTest.Click
    ' Once the button is clicked, 'Test' form will show up
    frmTest.ShowDialog()
    End Sub
    End Class

Create test form- This is a form that I use to create a test in. It includes a label that just tells the user to complete all the fields and then click the save button, label that says 'Definition' with a text box under it where a teacher will be able to actually type in the definition, a label that says 'Answer' with a text box under it where a teacher will be able to type in the answer, a label that says 'Week number' with a text box next to it where a teacher will be able to type in the week number as well as a button save which saves all the data the teacher has typed in and saves it in the database in a table called 'TestData'. No problems with this form either.
    Code:

Imports System.Data.OleDb
    Public Class frmCreateTest
    Application.Exit()
    Else
    End If
    End Sub

Me.Close()
    End Sub

Private Sub btnSave_Click(ByVal sender As System.Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs)
    ' Open Connection
    Dim MyDB, MyStr As String
    Dim Connection As New System.Data.OleDb.OleDbConnection()
    MyStr = ("Provider=Microsoft.ACE.OLEDB.12.0;Data Source=Database for VB.accdb")

Connection = New OleDb.OleDbConnection(MyStr)
    Connection.Open()

' Checks whether any of the fields are empty if yes, then an error message will show up
    If txtDef.Text = "" Or txtAns.Text = "" Or txtWeekNo.Text = "" Then
    Else

' Adding a new record to the database
    MyDB = "INSERT INTO TestData (Definition,Answer,WeekNumber) values ('" & txtDef.Text & "','" & txtAns.Text & "','" & txtWeekNo.Text & "')"

Dim Run = New OleDb.OleDbCommand

Try
    ' If record added successfully then a message box will show up
    Run = New OleDb.OleDbCommand(MyDB, Connection)
    Run.ExecuteNonQuery()
    MsgBox("Record has been successfully added!")
    txtDef.Text = ""
    txtAns.Text = ""
    txtWeekNo.Text = ""

Catch ex As Exception
    MsgBox(ex.Message, MsgBoxStyle.Critical, "OleDb Error")
    End Try
    End If
    End Sub
    End Class

Test form- This is the form which actually displays the test for the student. It includes these labels: 'Week number', 'lblWeekNo2', (This lable will actually change to a week number once the test starts, some bits of the test show up once the user actually clicks the start button and you can see that in the code below.) 'Definition', 'Answer', 'lblInfo' (This label changes as the the test progresses, it shows when the test starts and then simply displays the number of the questions, however, once the test is finished it changes to ''You have successfully completed the test! Well done!'') 'lblDef', (This label is linked with the database to actually show the definition to the user.) a text box which allows the student to actually type in the answer as well as two buttons. 'Start' (Starts the test and shows some bits and hides others[shown in the code below]) and 'Next' which basically just shows the next definition to the user.
    P.S. I tried to display that score for the user but no matter what I do, it always shows 'You have scored 2' and this is where I need help. As well as how to then save that score with the week number and student details(Maybe their login?) into the database.

Code:

Public Class frmTest
    Dim Score As Integer = 0
    Dim Ansrs(1, 9) As String
    Dim r As Integer = 1
    Application.Exit()
    Else
    End If
    End Sub

' Instead of just closing the form, it closes the form so that when you open it again, everything resets
    Me.Dispose()
    End Sub

Private Sub frmTest_Load(ByVal sender As System.Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles MyBase.Load
    ' Makes all the things invisible before the actual test starts
    lblDef.Visible = False
    lblWeekNo2.Visible = False
    lblInfo.Visible = False
    lblDefinition.Visible = False
    txtAns.Visible = False
    lblWeekNo.Visible = False
    btnNxt.Visible = False
    lblAnswer.Visible = False
    ' Opening the connection
    Conn = New OleDb.OleDbConnection("Provider=Microsoft.ACE.OLED B.12.0; Data Source=Database for VB.accdb")
    Conn.Open()
    End Sub

Private Sub btnNxt_Click(ByVal sender As System.Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles btnNxt.Click
    If r = 10 Then
    Ansrs(0, r - 1) = txtAns.Text
    txtAns.Text = ""
    FinishTest()
    Else
    Ansrs(1, r - 1) = txtAns.Text
    r = r + 1
    txtAns.Text = ""
    StartTest()
    End If
    End Sub
    Private Sub btnStart_Click(ByVal sender As System.Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles btnStart.Click
    ' Makes all the buttons that you will need in the test, visible. It'll show the field for the user to complete
    txtAns.Visible = True
    lblWeekNo.Visible = True
    lblWeekNo2.Visible = True
    lblDef.Visible = True
    lblDefinition.Visible = True
    btnStart.Visible = False
    lblAnswer.Visible = True
    ' When the button 'Start the test!' is clicked, the 'StartTest' sub routine will start
    StartTest()
    End Sub
    Private Sub StartTest()
    ' Making the 'Next' button visible to allow the user to complete the whole test
    btnNxt.Visible = True
    ' Reading data from the database
    Dim StringStart As String = "SELECT * FROM TestData WHERE WordNumber = " & r
    Dim Comm As New OleDb.OleDbCommand(StringStart, Conn)
    Dim RDR As OleDb.OleDbDataReader = Comm.ExecuteReader
    RDR.Read()
    lblDef.Text = RDR.Item("Definition")
    Ansrs(0, r - 1) = RDR.Item("Answer")
    lblWeekNo2.Text = RDR.Item("WeekNumber")
    lblInfo.Visible = True
    lblInfo.Text = r & "/10"
    End Sub
    Private Sub FinishTest()
    lblInfo.Text = "You have successfully completed the test! Well done!"
    lblInfo.Left = (Me.Width / 1.5) - (lblInfo.Width / 1.5)
    ' When the test is done, it makes all of the things that the user won't need anymore, invisible
    lblDef.Visible = False
    lblWeekNo2.Visible = False
    btnNxt.Visible = False
    lblWeekNo.Visible = False
    txtAns.Visible = False
    lblAnswer.Visible = False
    lblDefinition.Visible = False
    TestScore()
    End Sub
    Private Sub TestScore()
    For r As Integer = 0 To 9
    If Ansrs(0, r) = Ansrs(1, r) Then
    Score = Score + 2
    MsgBox("You have scored " & Score)
    End If
    Next
    End Sub
    End Class

I hope that this makes it at least a little bit clearer now... I'm going to leave the rest of the forms at least for now because this is what I think, would be best to do next.
    Thanks.