CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com

Iterating part way through a std::map

I have a std::map which I want to be able to iterate part way though, then go off and do "other things" and later resume iteration where I left off.

There is a chance that items may be added or removed from the std::map during doing the "other things".

Is there a correct way to go about this?

Any suggestions welcome

Thanks,
    AnotherMuggle
    Last edited by AnotherMuggle; December 17th, 2013 at 06:00 AM.

Re: Iterating part way through a std::map

iterators remain valid after insertions/deletions ( excluding iterators pointing to deleted elements, of course ) so it's safe to "resume" iteration without causing undefined behavior. That said, it may still be unsafe from a logical point of view, because you're only guaranteed that elements are traversed in order and nothing more in this case ( you could end up missing some of them ). So, it depends on what your goal is at a higher level ...

Re: Iterating part way through a std::map

Quote Originally Posted by superbonzo View Post
    iterators remain valid after insertions/deletions ( excluding iterators pointing to deleted elements, of course ) so it's safe to "resume" iteration without causing undefined behavior. That said, it may still be unsafe from a logical point of view, because you're only guaranteed that elements are traversed in order and nothing more in this case ( you could end up missing some of them ). So, it depends on what your goal is at a higher level ...
    Thanks superbonzo, that helps!