CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Scope of VC++ programming

Hello,

Can anyone tell me what is the current and future scope of VC++ (MFC) programming ?
    I heard that there are no new projects in VC++.

Will it be good to stick to this programming language ?

Regards
    Amey

Re: Scope of VC++ programming

Those who claim there is no software being developed in VC++ are dead wrong.

Although the managed languages are more modern, professional software devs have been reluctant to use them for a few reasons:

1. The bloatedness of the .NET framework, with many versions released are a nuisance to end users.
    2. The risk of intellectual property theft by software decompilation.
    3. Performance

There are now tools that can compile the managed languages into native code, but this is still experimental and not widely used. A professional game developer would likely not use C# for their high end product. You are not making any mistake by choosing unmanaged C++, it is more powerful and offers more freedom than anything managed. But you could of course go managed is if you think it is easier to learn.
    Nobody cares how it works as long as it works

2kaud is offline Super Moderator Power Poster

You might be interested in watching this video by Bjarne Stroustrup - creatoe of the c++ language.

http://channel9.msdn.com/Events/Goin...rne-Stroustrup
    All advice is offered in good faith only. All my code is tested (unless stated explicitly otherwise) with the latest version of Microsoft Visual Studio (using the supported features of the latest standard) and is offered as examples only - not as production quality. I cannot offer advice regarding any other c/c++ compiler/IDE or incompatibilities with VS. You are ultimately responsible for the effects of your programs and the integrity of the machines they run on. Anything I post, code snippets, advice, etc is licensed as Public Domain https://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/zero/1.0/ and can be used without reference or acknowledgement. Also note that I only provide advice and guidance via the forums - and not via private messages!

C++23 Compiler: Microsoft VS2022 (17.6.5)

Thanks zerver,
    I am having 9 years IT experience in VC++ (MFC),socket programming and multithreading.
    and I would like to work in this language but recent experience says that there are no new projects/opening
    in VC++.
    So, i am worried about the future.
    Could you please give more idea about future of VC++?

Thanks in advance.

Amey, I don't have much more to say, but the trend is (maybe) that more and more of the software that is being used by companies in-house (i.e. the software that is never released publicly) is based on managed code. I guess the main reason is that this type of software is less performance critical, and managed code is more reliable because some types of bugs can never occur. Also, it may be more difficult to find good programmers of traditional C++ because universities teach less and less of it. I would suggest you learn C# if you want to increase your chances to get this type of job.

You should not worry, because C# is like kindergarten programming if you know "real" C++. There are a few gotchas, but overall you will learn very quickly.

If your development involves a lot of interfacing to COM, other .NET objects, custom UI's or rapidly changing user needs ... THen managed languages have a definate benefit.

If your development is sockets and multithreading (I assume that you're doing this for performance reasons), then C++ has definate benefits.

Whatever you end up doing, there's a good chance that at some point you'll be needing to integrate c++ with .net "somehow".

it's increasingly common to see hybrid solutions with the front end/UI made in .NET and the back end in C++.

A lot of the so called advantages of managed languages are just "lazy/dumb mode" methods to proper C++ solutions. I.m.o. the only real advantage of the managed languages is it's ease in accessing COM and the fact you get some classes "free" with .NET (there are equally good alternatives for C++ although you may have to pay for them).

Thanks to all for reply.

Frankely speaking ,i want to be at VC++ side only.
    because afer 9 years i dont want change the technology.
    If i decided to be remain at VC++ side only ,then will it be my correct decsion ?
    will i get more opportunities in the job market?

When you ask in C++/MFC forum, most answers are "Everything is OK", but really it is not. C++ is not used write UI, database or Internet applications anymore. Anyone doesn't start new projects in MFC.
    C++ programmer who wants to continue with this language, must know something that .NET developer doesn't know. Real time programming, hardware development, embedded programming, time-critical applications, high performance graphics, OS development etc. On the other hand, C++ programmer may move to .NET or to mobile development.

Arjay is offline Moderator / EX MS MVP Power Poster

Quote Originally Posted by AmeyN View Post
    Thanks to all for reply.

If i decided to be remain at VC++ side only ,then will it be my correct decsion ?
    It depends on the area where you live. In my area (Northwest USA), there are very few native C++ jobs.

there aren't a lot of "C#" jobs either.

MOst companies want versatile programmers that can get a job done and the language isn't always the issue. THe more things you have experience at, the more job opportunities.

Quote Originally Posted by Alex F View Post
    When you ask in C++/MFC forum, most answers are "Everything is OK", but really it is not. C++ is not used write UI, database or Internet applications anymore. Anyone doesn't start new projects in MFC.
    C++ programmer who wants to continue with this language, must know something that .NET developer doesn't know. Real time programming, hardware development, embedded programming, time-critical applications, high performance graphics, OS development etc. On the other hand, C++ programmer may move to .NET or to mobile development.
    There's unfortunately a lot of fluff in the applications.
    I've seens applications that just don't make sense at all. (such as someone needing a C# developer to develop kernel drivers (huh?).

Depending on who issues the application, they might just be collecting buzz words without really knowing what they want (this happens a lot for job offers for a company hiring it's first full time developer).

It depends on the company and the needs ofc, for really new programs, they'll tend to have "open" interfaces that can run on mobile devices, tablets, windows, the web, ... and under that condition, even just knowing .net won't help you out. C++ remains a solid base for software development, but yes like I said before, UI design tends to be easier in a language that has a better tie to a platform. once that tie is gone, C# or .net hasn't got a lot of stuff over C++.

Quote Originally Posted by OReubens View Post
    I've seens applications that just don't make sense at all.
    To qualify for this position, you need at least 5 years of experience with SQL server 2012...

Quote Originally Posted by AmeyN View Post
    VC++ is not a technology. It's just a language.

The job market better be asked about this.

It's like with real languages. The more languages you speak, the more opportunities you can hear of and react to, and the more negotiable your situation is, and the better job you finally can grasp.
    Best regards,
    Igor

Regardless of actual job openings..

Knowing and understanding C++ is an advantage, even if you end up programming in something that looks nothing like it. It shows you have an understanding of programmign in general, and are familiar in a language where NOT everything is automagically connected/linked/allocated/destroyed/initialized/whateverized for you by the language or platform.
    it's easy enough to pick up most other languages from this basis (there are exceptions).

Job offers tend to ask for the golden goose that lays golden eggs and can do that while playing music, making the coffee, cleaning the office and take care of all the customer support calls. Oh, and do this for just some birdseed and water ofc.
    Don't get discouraged by what they ask, chances they actually get someone that can do all they ask is almost nonexistant. Show initiaive, willingness to learn (even outside of office hours) and motivation to work for that particular company.

Arjay is offline Moderator / EX MS MVP Power Poster

Knowing a language like C++ well is just a starting point. Along with that, you need to be able to take advantage of the features built in to the language, OS and programming environment. In my opinion, you need to constantly strive to stay up with current technologies. On Windows that can be something like Win32, MFC, COM, ATL, WTL, STL, C#, WPF, WCF, WF, RAI, REST, Razor, MVC, MVVM, SQL, SSIS, SSRS, SSAS, and Azure. Definitely there is enough to keep busy.

I can't stress the importance of know what is out there in terms of technology. It's far easier to learn some technology that has been baked and well tested than to try to roll your own. Of course, in order to do this, you need to be aware that the technology is available - and that takes constant effort to stay current.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast