CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: What is the equivalence to List<Object> in Java for C++?

Quote Originally Posted by Arjay View Post
    I only use that tone
    So you feel superior indeed.

Interesting. I thought your tone was unintentional.

But then reply to the questions I asked you in my previous post if you dare and I'll cut you to size. It's a promise.
    Last edited by razzle; December 27th, 2013 at 06:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by zerver View Post
    It does, except that primitive types in java do not derive from Object, and would have to be wrapped.
    If void* was God, then Object would be no better than Jesus I guess.
    Yes, but this "wrapping" takes place automatically in Java by way of so called boxing/unboxing. It's a coersion polymorphism that's part of the Java language.

So it's trinity that makes void* and Object the same in spirit.
    Last edited by razzle; December 27th, 2013 at 07:02 PM.

Arjay is offline Moderator / EX MS MVP Power Poster

Quote Originally Posted by razzle View Post
    So you feel superior indeed.

Interesting. I thought your tone was unintentional.

But then reply to the questions I asked you in my previous post if you dare and I'll cut you to size. It's a promise.
    Chill out, razzle. From your previous post in the thread, you don't seem to mind taking the superior tone. Or perhaps it was unintentional?

Quote Originally Posted by lucky6969b View Post
    I better off redesign my program. Let me have a good thought about it
    Thanks
    Jack
    First of all, List<Object> is kind of bad design itself, so you're absolutely right about redesign thing. Object is too much abstract interface, and I would expect it be more a trouble than a benefit.

Besides, C++ is not Java, and therefore is not obliged to provide semantically equivalent constructs to what Java developers got used to.
    Best regards,
    Igor

Quote Originally Posted by razzle View Post
    What would you suggest to better correspond to ArrayList<Object> than std::vector<void*> ?
    I don't know Java, but I suppose a List<Object> implies some form of lifetime management of its owned "objects", and I suppose a Java programmer can always use reflection to "cast" an Object to its actual runtime content, doesn't it ?
    Conversely, the only thing you can legally do with a void* is essentially to cast it back to its original typed value ( so you cannot even delete a void* ), a vector<void*> is not quite the same thing as a type erased list of objects, it's essentially just a vector of scalar values suitable to represent memory locations, not much more I think.

better alternatives ( modulo usual good design recommendations ) could be vector<shared_ptr<void>> ( which perform true type erasure allowing lifetime management ) or vector<my_smart_ptr<MyBase>>, as OReubens already suggested, or vector<boost::any<MyConcepts>>, vector<boost::variant<...>>, etc ...

BTW, IMO vector<void*> should be a last resort in "low-level" container programming too, because erasing type information inhibits compile-time optimizations, makes dubugging a pain in the ***, etc...
    Last edited by superbonzo; December 30th, 2013 at 05:04 AM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12