CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com

Learning Java... PowerShell - C# ?

Hello, I know that ' what code should i... ' threads are as awful as they are common, but hopefully this is a bit more specific....

I want to learn code and within the last week have started on Java, however I'm also playing about with PowerShell as well, so what I was wondering was whether it would be more appropriate / straight forward for me to learn C# instead of Java... Wasn't sure whether it would marry with PowerShell better and make learning more direct.

Hope that makes sense, hope it's not a daft question!

cheers.... and happy Christmas

Re: Learning Java... PowerShell - C# ?

Powershell is like the old DOS. Good for operating systems. Java (and C#) are programming languages, that run either on the machine, or in the web/cloud. You need to know both, but specialize in one or the other most of the time.
    David

CodeGuru Article: Bound Controls are Evil-VB6
    2013 Samples: MS CODE Samples

CodeGuru Reviewer
    2006 Dell CSP
    2006, 2007 & 2008 MVP Visual Basic
    If your question has been answered satisfactorily, and it has been helpful, then, please, Rate this Post!

Quote Originally Posted by Baxx View Post
    however I'm also playing about with PowerShell as well, so what I was wondering was whether it would be more appropriate / straight forward for me to learn C# instead of Java...
    If you plan to stick with Windows for some time then it's better to go for C# since it's the major .NET programming language. It's very similar to Java. The main advantage with Java is that it's available on many OSes.

Cheers dglienna / razzle.... One thing I'm unsure about is that Java is always said to be able to run anywhere as it has it's VM thing on all OS's... But say you built a webapp with C# - would that be usable to someone building a site using a mac? Is C# literally just for Windows? And - how much better is C# for building something like a productivity program for the Window's environment - say you wanted to make something with a GUI that would enable a company to quickly access and easily carry out commonly run tasks - this "more" do-able in C# or is it just as easy in either?

Quote Originally Posted by Baxx View Post
    Is C# literally just for Windows?
    Yes, C# literally is just for Windows. But to complicate things you also have the Mono project,

http://www.mono-project.com/Main_Page

which is an attempt to make .NET available on platforms other than Windows.

But if, and this is my very personal view, you want to target multiple platforms and know this in advance then don't count on Mono. Instead go for Java rather than C#.