CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com

File handling in c++ of files having .docx,pdf or .exe extension.

The question I have is that I want to create a file with any file format uptill .txt and wordpad this code is Ok, Butt when I try it for .docx or .pdf or .exe files the error occures in opening new created file.

I means that while opening the older test.docx it open as in routine while opening newly created .docx or others, an error occurs that "Word found unreadable content in file".

and in case of .exe file the error occured is "The version of file is not compatible with window you are running ".

The program is terminated successfully and the size of new file obtained is similar to previous one from where we read the problem comes in opening new file

The code I tried is:

#include <iostream;
    #include<fstream;
    using namespace std;
    #include<string;

int main()
    {
    string line;
    ifstream in;
    in.open("test.docx",ios_base::binary);
    ofstream out;
    out.open("test1.docx",ios_base::binary);
    if (in.is_open())
    {
    while ( !in.eof() )
    {
    getline(in,line);
    out<<line;
    cout<<line;
    }

}
    out.close();
    in.close();

system("PAUSE");
    return (0);
    }</pre>

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks.

Re: File handling in c++ of files having .docx,pdf or .exe extension.

Use read/write instead of getline and <<

2kaud is online now Super Moderator Power Poster

getline() assumes the stream is divided up into lines which are separated by '\n' or another specified character. Binary streams are not so divided and so getline() is not appropriate.

As mentioned by Alex in post #2, read() is the better function to use as it will read the specified number of chars from the stream (or until eof is reached).

See http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/libr...vs.120%29.aspx for more details.

Note that outputing non-printable characters to a display can cause weid results!
    All advice is offered in good faith only. All my code is tested (unless stated explicitly otherwise) with the latest version of Microsoft Visual Studio (using the supported features of the latest standard) and is offered as examples only - not as production quality. I cannot offer advice regarding any other c/c++ compiler/IDE or incompatibilities with VS. You are ultimately responsible for the effects of your programs and the integrity of the machines they run on. Anything I post, code snippets, advice, etc is licensed as Public Domain https://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/zero/1.0/ and can be used without reference or acknowledgement. Also note that I only provide advice and guidance via the forums - and not via private messages!

C++23 Compiler: Microsoft VS2022 (17.6.5)

Thumbs up Re: File handling in c++ of files having .docx,pdf or .exe extension.

Quote Originally Posted by 2kaud View Post
    getline() assumes the stream is divided up into lines which are separated by '\n' or another specified character. Binary streams are not so divided and so getline() is not appropriate.

As mentioned by Alex in post #2, read() is the better function to use as it will read the specified number of chars from the stream (or until eof is reached).

See http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/libr...vs.120%29.aspx for more details.

Note that outputing non-printable characters to a display can cause weid results!

Thanks alot It is working for .exe file by using read and write instructions butt I am still facing problem with .docx files.

Please do something for .docx too.

2kaud is online now Super Moderator Power Poster

Please post the curent code you are using and explain the problem you are having with .docx files. When posting code, please format properly before posting and use code tags. Go Advanced, select the code and then click '#'.
    All advice is offered in good faith only. All my code is tested (unless stated explicitly otherwise) with the latest version of Microsoft Visual Studio (using the supported features of the latest standard) and is offered as examples only - not as production quality. I cannot offer advice regarding any other c/c++ compiler/IDE or incompatibilities with VS. You are ultimately responsible for the effects of your programs and the integrity of the machines they run on. Anything I post, code snippets, advice, etc is licensed as Public Domain https://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/zero/1.0/ and can be used without reference or acknowledgement. Also note that I only provide advice and guidance via the forums - and not via private messages!

C++23 Compiler: Microsoft VS2022 (17.6.5)

Thanks alot I got it.It says that the word file is corrupted but when I press the button to recover it then I got original file.

Thank you very much.