CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com

Sending a text file to the printer using win32 API

Test1.txtHi all,
    I got a project in that,Text file creating by application should get in to print.So i want to send the text file to the printer using win 32 API.I don't have any idea about Printer device driver.Please Give some idea.i created Print Dialog Box using PRINTDLG Structure,After that while click on PrintButton the text file shuold get print.

Thanks& Regards,
    Manju
    Last edited by manjut19; January 2nd, 2014 at 12:56 AM.

2kaud is offline Super Moderator Power Poster

Re: Sending a text file to the printer using win32 API

All advice is offered in good faith only. All my code is tested (unless stated explicitly otherwise) with the latest version of Microsoft Visual Studio (using the supported features of the latest standard) and is offered as examples only - not as production quality. I cannot offer advice regarding any other c/c++ compiler/IDE or incompatibilities with VS. You are ultimately responsible for the effects of your programs and the integrity of the machines they run on. Anything I post, code snippets, advice, etc is licensed as Public Domain https://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/zero/1.0/ and can be used without reference or acknowledgement. Also note that I only provide advice and guidance via the forums - and not via private messages!

C++23 Compiler: Microsoft VS2022 (17.6.5)

Thanks for your great comment.I tryed that sample code with PrimoPDF and i can generate a pdf file also.Next my question is how to pass a file(text )content into the TextOut function.Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks &Regards
    Manju
    Last edited by manjut19; January 3rd, 2014 at 01:30 AM.

You don't pass a full text file content into TextOut(). You need to read the text file line and line and pass each line to TextOut() specifying the appropriate x, y coordinates for the position of the individual text line in the device context. x would usually be a fixed constant for each line, and the y value would be incremented for each line by the height of the selected font in the device context.
    All advice is offered in good faith only. All my code is tested (unless stated explicitly otherwise) with the latest version of Microsoft Visual Studio (using the supported features of the latest standard) and is offered as examples only - not as production quality. I cannot offer advice regarding any other c/c++ compiler/IDE or incompatibilities with VS. You are ultimately responsible for the effects of your programs and the integrity of the machines they run on. Anything I post, code snippets, advice, etc is licensed as Public Domain https://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/zero/1.0/ and can be used without reference or acknowledgement. Also note that I only provide advice and guidance via the forums - and not via private messages!

Quote Originally Posted by 2kaud View Post
    You don't pass a full text file content into TextOut(). You need to read the text file line and line and pass each line to TextOut() specifying the appropriate x, y coordinates for the position of the individual text line in the device context. x would usually be a fixed constant for each line, and the y value would be incremented for each line by the height of the selected font in the device context.
    I tryed with wcstok to split the text file content line by line .

Code:
    memset( &di, 0, sizeof(DOCINFO) );
    di.cbSize = sizeof(DOCINFO); 
    di.lpszDocName = (LPCTSTR)TEXT("Printing Test"); 
    di.lpszOutput = (LPTSTR) NULL; 
    di.lpszDatatype = (LPTSTR)TEXT( "RAW"); 
    HDC hPrinter=pd.hDC;

//Reading data from text file and storing into a location pStore
    char cRead=0;
    DWORD uiRead=1 ;
    HANDLE FHandle=CreateFile(cFileName1,GENERIC_READ|GENERIC_WRITE,
    FILE_SHARE_READ,0,OPEN_EXISTING,FILE_ATTRIBUTE_NORMAL,0);
    LARGE_INTEGER filesize;
    if(FHandle!=INVALID_HANDLE_VALUE)
    	BOOL b=GetFileSizeEx(FHandle,&filesize);
    ////Allocate required space to keep the file as such.
    TCHAR *pStore = new TCHAR[filesize.u.LowPart];

TCHAR *pTemp1 = pStore;
    while ( uiRead > 0 )
    {
    		if (!( ReadFile ( FHandle, &cRead, 1,&uiRead,NULL) ) )
    			return false;
    		*pTemp1 = cRead;
    		pTemp1++;
    }

CloseHandle(FHandle);
    //Splitting line by line and texting out
    if(StartDoc(hPrinter,&di))
    {
    	if(StartPage(hPrinter))
    	{

TCHAR seps[]=_T("\t\n");
    		TCHAR *token1 = NULL;
    		TCHAR *next_token1 = NULL;
    		int iI=0;
    		token1 = wcstok_s( pStore, seps, &next_token1);
    		   while (token1 != NULL) 
    		   {
    			// While there are tokens in "string"
    			  if(!(TextOut(hPrinter,100,100*iI,token1,wcslen(token1))))
    				{
    					int res=GetLastError();
    					return FALSE;
    				}
    			  token1 =  wcstok_s( NULL, seps, &next_token1);
    				iI++;
    		   }
    	}
    	EndPage(hPrinter);
    }
    EndDoc(hPrinter);
    This code is working only for 1 page and Allignment is proper only for PrimoPDF.I have some doubt
    1.How to change the Printer DC's Scaling factor,font etc.If i changing tht Scaling factor. will it work with all printer?
    2.What modification i have to do on
    Code:
     if(!(TextOut(hPrinter,100,100*iI,token1,wcslen(token1))))
    3.How to print more than 1 page?
    Please Help me

Thanks & Regards
    manju
    Last edited by manjut19; January 4th, 2014 at 01:28 AM.

VictorN is online now Super Moderator Power Poster

Quote Originally Posted by manjut19 View Post
    This code is working only for 1 page ...
    It is because you call StartPage/EndPage only once.
    Victor Nijegorodov

The easiest way to read a text file line by line is something like this

Code:
    #include <fstream>
    #include <string>
    using namespace std;

ifstream inf("file name");
    string line;

while (inf.good()) {
            getline(inf, line);
            //process line. Use line.c_str() to get a c-style null terminated string
        }

Quote Originally Posted by VictorN View Post
    It is because you call StartPage/EndPage only once.
    If iam calling StartPage/EndPage multiple time multiple page can print.But i don't know howmany lines will be there in 1 page.How to get that number?Is it printer depended or programatically setting one?

Use GetDeviceCaps() with an index of VERTRES. This will return the height in pixels of the printable area of the page. When the ypos to which you are printing exceeds this area (or exceeds a fixed amount below this value), then start a new page.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/libr...=vs.85%29.aspx

The easiest way to read a text file line by line is something like this

Code:
    #include <fstream>
    #include <string>
    using namespace std;

ifstream inf("file name");
    string line;

while (inf.good()) {
            getline(inf, line);
            //process line. Use line.c_str() to get a c-style null terminated string
        }
    How to convert std::string to LPCWSTR.
    Code:
     if(!(TextOut(hPrinter,100,100*iI,line,wcslen(line))))

Are you compiling as UNICODE or ASCII?

are you compiling as unicode or ascii?
    unicode

Quote Originally Posted by manjut19 View Post
    How to convert std::string to LPCWSTR.
    Code:
     if(!(TextOut(hPrinter,100,100*iI,line,wcslen(line))))
    Use TextOutA() which takes LPCSTR rather than LPCWSTR if compiled as UNICODE.

Use TextOutA() which takes LPCSTR rather than LPCWSTR if compiled as UNICODE.
    Thank you for your kind replay.Its working now

Thanks & Regards
    Manju